swap out laptop hard drive

Old 01-08-12, 02:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
swap out laptop hard drive

I have a backup USB hard disk drive with a full system clone exact image (all programs, OS, files, everthing) of the hard disk drive within my Acer 5315 laptop. I'd like to the clone drive a try on the machine to make sure it'll boot and run okay, in advance of the possible event where the hard drive within the laptop should fail. From what I understand, to swap the drive out with the clone should be just a simple of matter of removing the laptop drive and then replacing it with the clone drive. Never having done such, I was just wondering whether there's any unusual or otherwise irregular behaviour from the pc I might expect upon starting the machine the first time with the clone drive installed. Will the motherboard or bios or anything else weird out and I'll have errors and issues because it's a different hard drive? Or should it just smoothly boot up and work fine, no problem because the new drive is an exact clone. Any comment/advice apprecated.

Old 01-08-12, 06:47 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never cloned a drive but from what I have heard it should be relatively easy. Just be sure when you take the hard drive out to be careful of static electricity by either doing it while standing on a vinyl floor or using something to ground yourself as you take the drive out. Also be sure to keep track of those little screws and have some real tiny screw drivers ready as those laptop hard drives have real tiny screws. When you put in the other hard drive don't skimp on the screws put those screws on the new hard drive so you don't lose them. You can get replacement screws on e-bay if you lose them. As to the bios being affected I doubt very seriously it would be affected since it is an exact clone. While I have never cloned a drive I have swapped hard drives between two different Dell laptops with little to no problems. Good luck to you!

Old 01-08-12, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 630 Likes on 539 Posts
You might not even have to install it right away as some computers will boot from USB connected devices. Upon your laptop booting up enter your BIOS and look at your booting order.

Old 01-08-12, 07:45 PM
H
Very true Tolyn Ironhand you can try a boot from a usb port but the operating system might bulk and not want to load it did when I tried to do a clean install just using a usb drive on my Dell laptop and it wouldn't fully load. Of course that wasn't with a cloned drive either so it might work and might not. I would say too that it might depend on who makes the laptop. I had tried that because I didn't have the hard drive or connector at the time and wanted to see if it would work. This was a used laptop that had its hard drive removed.

Old 01-08-12, 07:55 PM
I doubt my computer will boot from a USB HDD. I might give it a try but Can You Boot From External Hard Disk Drive: Running Windows From a Portable Hard Drive | Suite101.com

Old 01-13-12, 11:19 AM
Just wanted to report here that I was able to get the USB HDD to boot while connected externally. The cloning software I used also had the feature of also cloning the master boot record and apparently also the boot loader(s). I had been trying previously to boot from the clone on the USB HDD, without success, and wondering what the problem was. Came across the article (link posted in my previous post) and other similar info indicating booting from USB HDD could be generally a troublesome ordeal, but I found out that wasn't necessarily the case, at least in my situation. The booting order on my pc BIOS does have the option of booting from USB HDD but even though I had it set to do so, it still would seem to always bypass booting the external drive and instead would move on to boot from internal disk. That is, until I discovered that having "fast boot" option in BIOS enabled can prevent booting from USB HDD. Once I disabled that, USB HDD booted right up no problem.

Old 01-14-12, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 630 Likes on 539 Posts
Good to hear things are working out!

Old 01-19-12, 12:50 AM
H
Well I sure learned something new thanks for updating us I might try it again sometime just to see if it will work. I would think it will depend on your bios and what it allows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: