trouble with a clean boot of Windows XP

Old 01-12-12, 07:37 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
trouble with a clean boot of Windows XP

I do reinstallations quite frequently for people but I have run into a dandy here. I have an HP desktop with Windows XP. The owner contracted a virus and then tried a recovery operation. (hitting F10 key at boot) I am not sure if they completed the recovery or not but it did not work. I have tried to format the computer but cannot access the recovery partition because instead of getting into recovery all i can bring up is Set Up/BIOS.

I have reset the computer in BIOS to defaults. All that is available to this hp desktop is the recovery partition as th owner never made up a recovery disk and one was apparently never supplied with the computer when it was purchased.

So I got a Windows XP disk and just used it to boot from disk. That worked and I figured the hard drive was scrambled so went ahead and booted to set up and reformatted the drive.

The trouble is it reboots and instead of continuing the windows installation after the fresh format it boots right back to thee beginning format mode????????? I don't need to keep formatting and a I should be able to finish the installation of windows. So there you have it. Do you suppose I should try deleting the partition in addition to the reformat.

Ultimately, in order to satisfy microsoft I will have to be able to boot the recovery partition because that contains the store bought copy of windows XP.

I'm caught in a loop.

bs5

Old 01-12-12, 09:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I got it figured out

Well, I went back and through my windows disk in the drive and booted up once again. This time when it booted set up from the cd rom drive I deleted the partition and created a new one for the entire unpartitioned space for the Windows install. Sure enough, a quick format followed and this time it booted to stage 2 of windows XP Install instead of back to square 1.

As explained earlier I still need to boot up the recovery partition but it's apparently not going to happen. I can't figure it out because there seem to be several partitions (small ones) on the drive. I am thinking the computer gets confused by this reality when I attempt to start the recovery partition.

I think what I need now is some type of a formatting disc other than the windows disc to serve as a utility to delete all those extra partitions an hopefully be able to identify the recovery partition and leave it and the windows partition to themselves.

Also, recently we talked about downloading SP3 so we could have it on disc and not have to download it for different clean boots. We know XP has to have sp3 for Microsoft to continue to support it. Anyway don't bother to download the darn thing unless Microsoft shapes up. When I went to to link and downloaded it it failed to install citing something like "you can't install sp3 on a system with a free debug program or vice versa". I don't know what that means other than for Microsoft to throw a curve ball at me.

bs5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: