Constant internet use after opening youtube

Old 01-17-12, 05:47 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Constant internet use after opening youtube

I am having an issue with one of my home PCs. Shortly after accessing youtube, regardless of which browser I use (IE, Chrome, or Firefox), my internet connection is constantly and continuously being used at full capacity, even after closing the browser. The only way to stop it is to disable and reenable the local network connection. I have used TCPView to try to track it down. Although it shows the item that it doing this, it does not have any identifying information for it (but will let me close the connection). I have run full scans on Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials, and they turn up nothing. I am ready to do a reformat and reinstall, but reinstalling all of the software and data is such a hassle and would like to avoid that if at all possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-12, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Try to stop the process with Rkill and Tdss killer. Then run maleware bytes and super anti spyware.

Rkill
Bleeping Computer Downloads: RKill

Tdsskiller
Download TDSSKiller Anti-rootkit utility

Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Superantispyware
SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

These are all recommended at bleeping computers and major geeks. I would read through their forums also.

Mike NJ

Old 01-17-12, 08:14 AM
Also boot into safe mode when you run malware bytes, it will increase your chance of finding the issue, also make sure you run it as administrator.

~Spike

Old 01-17-12, 09:08 AM
E
Thanks. But I am a bit confused on one issue. If I boot into safe mode after running rkill and tdsskiller but before running the MWBytes scan, could that not restart the bad process (if there is one and if it is one of those nasties that starts up even in safe mode)? But if I boot into safe mode before running rkill and tdsskiller, then those utilities won't find the bad process if it isn't one that runs in safe mode (because it won't be running).

Old 01-17-12, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
It looks for exe files and such. You dont want the processes running when using malewarebytes.

Save those items to the desk top. After running rkill you dont want to reboot since that stops the infected process and it may restart on reboot.

I dont start in safe mode.

Mike NJ

Old 01-18-12, 04:55 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eclipse
I have used TCPView to try to track it down. Although it shows the item that it doing this, it does not have any identifying information for it (but will let me close the connection).
Do an IP search for the number. At least you'll know where the site is located, and it may also resolve the DNS.

Old 01-18-12, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Google this application, "spybot search destroy" it worked for me to get rid of spyware. That's what it sounds like to me.