Possible HD Failure?

Old 01-23-12, 07:12 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Possible HD Failure?

I purchased my DELL Inspiron 6400 in April 2007 and have been very happy with it (Dual Core 2.0GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB SATA HD, Vista Home Premium). I use it daily a lot and yesterday I bought a new printer and installed the required software. About 2 weeks ago I also re arranged about 20 GB of various utility programs which involved in a lot of re booting and HD use.

This morning I run the system ďDisk Clean UPĒ which I use once a month and I always select the option to remove old System Restore Points (they take about 5 GB) and then I re boot. When it started, it went thru a black screen and said that it has to run Checkdisk and itís recommended not to interrupt this process. Finally the checkdisk finished with no problems found and re booted and all seems good. My HD is about 70 GB full.

I kind of worry why it had to run the checkdisk utility because it never happened before.

Is this a sign that my HD is ready to give up on me?

Old 01-23-12, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 175 Votes on 141 Posts
Whenever my computer doesn't shut down correctly, it wants to run Chkdsk when restarting. Probably your computer didn't shut down right for some reason. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Usually you'll get a can't read drive or disc boot error or something to that nature if the hard drive is going.
Hopefully you've made a backup of important stuff when the day comes.

Old 01-23-12, 04:18 PM
When my Laptop doesnít shut down correctly, I get a message to either start Vista normally or start in safe mode. This happened often since I bought the Laptop and I think it has to do with the way she goes to sleep. Every night I leave the Laptop open and itís set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. In the morning I press the ON button, type my password and Iím where I was last night. However sometimes when I press the ON button she reboots and I get the message to start Vista normally or in safe mode.

I never got the checkdisk message before.

Old 01-23-12, 09:51 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't blame you for wanting to be able to get right back to what you were doing Kolias and that is what sleep mode was designed for. I however usually don't keep the computer in sleep mode nor do I usually just keep it running and that goes for all of my computers. I don't do that because there are certain things the computer is still doing even when in sleep mode. You might try just turning it off and then using the computer the next day. I agree with Shadeladie I doubt you have a hard drive problem.

Old 01-24-12, 07:17 AM
I also used to turn off my computers at night but a few years back I thought why not use the sleep / hibernation modes? I have no specific reason to use the sleep mode, just convenience.

The funny part is that I thought the checkdisk utility was an old DOS / Windows 98 program which was deleted in Vista and was really surprised to see it popping up into my screen, lol

Now I will turn it off at night again, thank you all

Old 01-24-12, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I never turn off our PC's unless we will be gone for more than a day. Standby and sleep mode only. I've done this since PCs were first available. In the Navy we never turned them off (though most important ones were on UPS in case of power issues). Matter of fact the last place I was (Supervisor of Shipbuilding), probably 400 workers and a PC for everyone, put out a directive that PCs were only to be turned off when very severe tropical weather was expected. Stores like HD and Lowes never turn them off either.

There are other reasons why big places don't turn them off (software upgrades done after hours for one)...but electronics like steady state conditions as a rule. Constantly heating up and cooling off can be more harmful then just sitting there doing almost nothing.

You can find different opinions...this was mine.

Old 01-24-12, 08:10 AM
Gunguy I believe what you say and I will stick to it, thanks

Old 01-25-12, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I never turn off our PC's unless we will be gone for more than a day. Standby and sleep mode only. I've done this since PCs were first available. In the Navy we never turned them off (though most important ones were on UPS in case of power issues). Matter of fact the last place I was (Supervisor of Shipbuilding), probably 400 workers and a PC for everyone, put out a directive that PCs were only to be turned off when very severe tropical weather was expected. Stores like HD and Lowes never turn them off either.

There are other reasons why big places don't turn them off (software upgrades done after hours for one)...but electronics like steady state conditions as a rule. Constantly heating up and cooling off can be more harmful then just sitting there doing almost nothing.

You can find different opinions...this was mine.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/co...#ixzz1kU5cNC2V
Agreed, with the exception of some external drives, if they are used constantly and are not properly ventilated, they will continue to overheat and eventually fail before they should. If possible get an external enclosure with a built in fan.

~Spike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: