Router for DOCSIS 3.0 Ultra100 Internet service

Old 01-23-12, 11:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Router for DOCSIS 3.0 Ultra100 Internet service

Hello all

This isn't necessarily a problem I'm having, but rather an inquiry for advice on purchasing a new router. I recently had Internet service upgraded at my home to our company's highest speed (Ultra100 - DOCSIS 3.0 - 100mbps down, 5mbps up) and have amazing results when connected directly to the modem. Consistently I get 96-102mbps down and 5.2mbps up. I should probably mention that I'm a line technician for this particular cable provider, so everything from the node to my modem is in perfectly capable order. Levels range anywhere from -1 to -2 on all four downstream channels with a 37-38 DS SNR and I have a 41 TX power at the modem with a 34.6 US SNR. Needless to say, service is wonderful.

ANYWAYS, my home is wired quite elaborately with multiple CAT5e lines to each room, all terminating at a patch panel and run to a 24-port gigabit switch. Network is fine, as well. BUT, my router is a bit outdated. It's a Netgear WGR-614 v9 Wireless G -- a 30 dollar cheap-o from Wal Mart. What I'm looking for are recommendations for a new router that could potentially allow me to pull close-to-DOCSIS speeds at some of my LAN devices. On any given day, I have a few devices that stay attached, but remain idle, such as a Wii, Blu-Ray, TiVO, etc. but for the most part, I use only one PC at a time, so I'm familiar with the fact that I won't get 100% of my bandwidth at any given point, even through Ethernet, simply due to miniscule losses through NAT, etc.

Any suggestions? I've seen several wireless-N routers that have gigabit WAN ports, and have been through a handful of forums, but most of them are outdated and refer to speeds such as 30mbps down, etc. I have no issues pulling 34-36mbps down and 5mbps up through my existing router, but it seems to only go that high.

Anyone have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-12, 05:19 PM
I just switched from my wired router to a Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router and really enjoy the throuhput, compared to what I had.
I also bought my own DOCSIS 3 modem from Best Buy (they have Comcast staff in-store), so I don't have to pay the $7 month rental fee.
I can't respond to any figures, but I like the result.

Old 01-23-12, 09:32 PM
I don't know the model number but we have an Actiontec router in our house and we stream video through it and the picture is amazing with our wireless n network card we have on a desktop computer we have in our front room. As to where to buy I don't know all I know is that we received ours from our fiber optic internet provider.

Old 01-25-12, 08:26 AM
For that kind of throughput, I would recommend something with a little more power and quality. With routers, you get what you pay for. Here are some decent suggestions from newegg:

Newegg.com - NETGEAR WNDR37AV-100NAS 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz Simultaneous Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router for Video and Gaming

Newegg.com - ASUS RT-N56U Wireless Router Dual Band N600 Multimedia Ultra Slim Gigabit 802.11a/b/g/n support USB Storage, Print and Media Server (top performance review at smallnetbuilder.com)

Newegg.com - ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band N900 Ultra Fast Wireless Router IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n, IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab

Personally I have had good luck with Asus. Especially if the model offers support for DD-WRT. If you plan to regularly utilize high throughput like that I would definitely get a high end model, and if the option is there, throw a couple extra dollars towards an extended warranty. About 1/3 of the calls I get are related to failing routers. So it could easily be worth it.

~Spike

Old 01-25-12, 12:50 PM
On an unrelated note, I would like to say I'm jealous.

Old 01-25-12, 04:16 PM
Hello there,
Spike, I looked at the routers you suggested and I may try my hand at the RT-N56U. Honestly, high speed in wireless isn't all that much of a priority to me because all I use my wireless for is my Wii, smartphone and laptop for some occasional browsing (it only has wireless-G built in.) The other features such as the print server and media sharing are nice, but I already have a WHS and a networked laser printer. Will let you know when I am able to pick it up and try it out.

As for the comment on the jealousy, it's really not that much of a difference in terms of anything but upload speeds now, considering I'm using a router that only gives me 30+ mbps down. Plus, how many sites do you know can put up speeds close to 100 through a pipeline that'd actually REACH me Oh well, we shall see how it does. Oh, and the TiVO I just had installed apparently does all its on-demand content through the Internet, so increased bandwidth capability will I'm guessing make that breathe a bit easier.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 01-25-12, 04:29 PM
Here's my router:

NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router WNDR3300 Wireless router - 4-port switch (integrated) - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft 2.0)

While I have to deal with 1.57 mbps download and 0.38 mbps upload speeds, I still have excellent speed on my intranet for file sharing and such.