external hard drive

Old 02-27-12, 12:27 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
external hard drive

I have imaged everything I need to my usb HDD, like operating system and all applications, programs etc.
Most of windows updates are included also.

I keep my important docs/data on other removable media which I update regularly.

In the event of failure I could image the usb back to the repaired pc and have only some updates to perform. Formatting and reinstalling all is a huge task I just completed.

I now plan on unplugging the usb drive and keep it aside as a backup and so it will not burn out or wear.

Does this sound logical or is it better to keep it plugged in and only update it occasionally with windows updates.

Also can you install and uninstall on the fly or do you have to turn the pc and power off?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-12, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since it's an external drive, that is the safest way of keeping your sensitive data safe... Unplugging it is fine, but there is really no need to since it isn't always running if it is plugged in. The only time it runs is when you access the drive... The disk basically goes into a power save mode, and only powers up when it is being accessed.

And to answer your second question... are you referring to application or operating systems, if you can install and uninstall on the fly?

Old 03-03-12, 10:36 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
on the fly

Hi again.
I was basically asking about the usb drive.
I have a good backup of each of the 2 pcs on each usb drive and have them unplugged as they are wearing somewhat with power on.
I do not need to update as I have my removable media for any sensitive information.
I know most peole have incrementals etc but for me a good image is priceless.
I have 2 flash drives to update the other info b/c altho they do fail it is unlikely they will at the same time,that is why I use 2.
Thanx for the help.
peterr