Open Source Antivirus Software.

Old 03-01-12, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Open Source Antivirus Software.

Is there any good Open-Source antivirus software out there? Reason beings, Norton ran out, and Microsoft Security essentials isn't the best. (I need to boot to Windows 7 for vixen and a video-chat program.)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-12, 08:55 PM
H
Justin I haven't heard of any open source antivirus. Plenty of open source browsers but no open source anti virus. Might be open source to some degree things that would prevent cookies from going on your computer but not really any antivirus programs. Plenty of free ones out there though like Comodo,AVG,Avast and what you have already mentioned. Open source I guess would be fine for a browser but I don't know that I would want an antivirus as an open source program. At least with the free ones there is some control over how the program works and no one can mess with it.

Old 03-02-12, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I was using Avast until a few days ago. Somehow it got locked up on my computer with a big x in the icon. So I tried to restart it. No go. Tried to re-download and overlay it. Nope. Only added a different version to the computer which was inoperable as well. Called Avast and talked to someone from India (and I only speak redneck) that only tried to sell me upgrades, and services starting at $100 plus $14 per month to keep my computer running good. Never could get her to tell me how to get it off my computer. Finally, last night, I found on their website FAQ section how to remove it. You have to do it in safe mode, but it worked.
I switched to AVG, but previous experience tells me it will be a little of a resource hog in time. I guess with all things, the free ones cost the most.

Old 03-02-12, 04:11 AM
R
If Avast locked up it was probably because you had some malware. I've found their free version to be rock solid, unobtrusive, and effective. The only time I saw that red X was when my wife's laptop picked up a nasty virus from a malicious website (she didn't know not to click on the email link from a friend). Uninstalling and reinstalling Avast in Safe Mode cleaned it in less than an hour.

Old 03-02-12, 09:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
I switched from AVG to Avast a few years ago and am happy with Avast. I have MS Security Essentials running as well.

Old 03-02-12, 10:17 AM
Here are a few free anti virus programs that are hi rated by Cnet and other review websites:
AVG: AVG Free Antivirus | Best Free Virus Protection
Avast: http://www.avast.com
Avira: Antivirus software solutions for home and for business

Hope that helps

Old 03-02-12, 01:27 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I run AVG and have for several years. While it is true that one version of the free AVG WAS a resource hog that has not been true of the versions released since that time.

Old 03-02-12, 01:36 PM
Yes, Free is fine, too.

I'm going camping this weekend and will check back Sunday evening. Just wanted to check on this thread.

Old 03-02-12, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 70 Posts
Actually, Microsoft Security Essentials is very good, but to each his own.
I also use the Avast free version.

Old 03-02-12, 02:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Furd:

Nice to know my complaints with AVG no longer apply so I can consider going back to them at some point. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-05-12, 05:05 PM
I installed Avast, my computer froze. I took the battery out, and now whenever I boot windows, it just freezes.

Old 03-05-12, 07:56 PM
H
Justin I never have liked Avast myself but you shouldn't have had that problem. Do you know how to go in safe mode with Windows if not here is how to do it. Turn the laptop off and then back on and as Windows is just about ready to start press the function or as most people see it F8 key. You should then see a selection and you need to scroll down start in safe mode and then press enter. In safe mode you then need to go to settings and click on control panel and look for uninstall programs. Try AVG I think you will like it better. I will add though that no program though is perfect. I would also scan my computer if I was you in safe mode it turns off a great deal of programs and isolates your computer. It also makes it go a bit faster. I wish you luck.

Old 03-06-12, 12:41 PM
I uninstalled Avast in safe mode and that did the trick. Thanks, Hedgeclippers. I'm installing AVG as soon as I get done this post, and we'll see how that goes.

Old 03-06-12, 07:32 PM
AVG is successfully installed! Thanks Guys!

Old 03-06-12, 07:48 PM
H
Glad it worked well for you. May I ask please what version of Windows you are using Justin? Only reason I ask is that I had it on my Windows 7 desktop only briefly and the two programs didn't get along with each other. Now mind you that was several months ago and by now it should be o.k. which is the only reason I brought it up. If you don't have problems then I might consider it again. So please let us know and good luck!

Old 03-07-12, 04:13 PM
I am running Windows 7 64bit. 4GB RAM, 2Ghz intel Pentium Processor, 600GB HDD.(before the partition)

Old 03-08-12, 03:08 AM
H
Thank you Justin please inform the forum if you have any problems. If I don't see any posts about any problems then it is probably safe to go back to AVG at some point. Have a nice day!

Old 03-08-12, 06:39 AM
V
I am running Windows 7 64bit. 4GB RAM, 2Ghz intel Pentium Processor, 600GB HDD.
I think your RAM is like bare minimum for W7 64. Might see much better performance by kicking it up a bit.

Others: I've used both, AVG and Avast and tend to lean towards Avast for a couple of reasons. One, AVG didn't catch a bug that took down my XP machine that Avast did and Two, I like being able to right click in the sys tray to shut Avast off when I want to for offline work. It allows you to password that feature which is great. They're both top AV's, I just lean toward Avast for the stuff I do.

Old 03-08-12, 11:36 AM
M
I know you mentioned that you don't like MS Security Essentials, but from what I've found it's the best out of the rest of the free programs. AVG really bogs down your computer.

Old 03-08-12, 07:13 PM
I think your RAM is like bare minimum for W7 64. Might see much better performance by kicking it up a bit.
I usually don't boot to windows unless I need a specific program I can't get to run on wine, or to update. Otherwise, how do I add RAM to a laptop? I don't think there is any room to add some.
I know you mentioned that you don't like MS Security Essentials, but from what I've found it's the best out of the rest of the free programs. AVG really bogs down your computer.
Ehh, I just don't like it.

Old 03-08-12, 08:05 PM
H
Justin you can add RAM or actually upgrade but you don't really have to as I have just 4GB in my entertainment computer and except for an occasional little problem I haven't really had any issues. I plan though to add more memory though I just did that to save money and time too as I wanted it up an running. One source I like as they don't charge an arm and a leg is Data Memory Systems at Apple Compaq Dell HP Sony Gateway Computer Memory - Data Memory Systems they are in Massachusetts. So if you ever decide to upgrade and swap out what you have take a look there. They offer a lifetime warranty on their memory.

Old 03-08-12, 08:58 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
AVG really bogs down your computer.
No, it doesn't. ONE VERSION a few years back WAS a resource hog but that is not true with at least the last three versions. My AVG runs with NO problems.