PCLOS Question

Old 03-29-12, 11:49 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PCLOS Question

Hi I have a question finally after much struggling I was able to install PCLOS Linux operating system. I was able to login under the Root password which I changed from the default but not the main password. I was wondering now that I am logged in if I could delete that user name and password without having to have to use the other password. Also wondering where to look to change the password. I do promise this is my last post here for this but knew someone here would know. Thanks for your help!

Since my post earlier I was actually able to answer my question myself. Now I need help finding the repository on PCLOS. I looked for an answer Ray on the other forum but couldn't find the answer. Once I find that and learn how to update the software I can take it from there. Thank you!

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 03-30-12 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-30-12, 08:09 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Look for a icon that resembles a stack of boxes in the bottom tray. That is Synaptic.

Root has power over everyone is why you could delete. But that is also why you should never run as root except to make specific changes. It leaves you almost as naked as a Windows computer without an AV.

Old 04-01-12, 08:34 PM
H
Hi Ray I just have a very minor question I noticed with PCLOS you can use a blank flash drive and make an emergency start up drive which I assume would work on a Windows computer too if I had access issues due to a virus or whatever. So I would like your recommendation please as to what size of flash drive to use for that,I trust your opinion.
I also have an installation instruction link that was of some help to me that I thought I would post here is the link The Perfect Desktop - PCLinuxOS 2010 (KDE) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials . Don't worry Ray I will add a user name and password. So far PCLOS isn't bad but a few things I don't like and one is a firewall that doesn't seem to work real well and the other is no way to check your disks or even see a graphical representation of how much disk space you have left. The plus though is it looks more like Windows and a few things are just about like Windows. I may check out other distributions but so far except for those few little things it isn't bad.

Old 04-01-12, 10:47 PM
a few things I don't like and one is a firewall that doesn't seem to work real well
I have never bothered with a firewall. If you use a router it has a built in hardware firewall. About the only time you need a firewall is if you use dial-up.

no way to check your disks or even see a graphical representation of how much disk space you have left.
There is an app for that, kio-sysinfo, but it is a bit more complicated. You can use that app after you install it to make a "My Computer" program that looks like Windows to give you that info. Here are the instructions: Duplicating 'My Computer' in KDE4

So I would like your recommendation please as to what size of flash drive to use for that,I trust your opinion.
5Gb should be enough but I use a 10Gb because once a month I boot it up and run Synaptic to update my software. I just want the extra room for future proofing. Yes the flash drive can be used to run your PCLinuxOS install on any computer that can boot from a flash drive. Just a tip in some cases you have to have the flash drive plugged in to set it as first boot in BIOS

Speaking of updating did you run Synaptic after your install to update your system. That needs to be done first thing and at least once a month.

The plus though is it looks more like Windows and a few things are just about like Windows.
That is more due to the Desktop, KDE, then the OS. That is I prefer KDE over Gnome. It is just easier to understand and more intuitive for me. Have you right clicked the "Start" menu and tried "Classic Menu Style" yet? You will find that very close to old time Windows start button.

Old 04-01-12, 11:46 PM
H
Thanks Ray I will try your suggestion for duplicating My Computer,I will also when I can get a 10 gb flash drive for those occasional emergencies. I am wondering what you think about the following linux distros Mandriva,Fedora,OpenSuse and Kubuntu which I think you mentioned once. I have heard that Kubuntu is something like PCLOS and Ubuntu combined in that they share certain components. Mandriva I hear isn't bad but also read that the creators of the os have gone bankrupt or are in the process at least which doesn't sound too good even for something that didn't look bad. Fedora was almost like Mandriva in looks anyway but think there is a corporation behind it too. OpenSuse I don't know that much about except I have heard it is built around the KDE platform like PCLOS. All sound interesting though and at least some of those I might try even though I do like PCLOS and with your My Computer suggestion I think I can make it an even better os. So your take on those Linux distros will be appreciated as I respect your opinion you are a very enlightened person where it comes to Linux. Last question I didn't pay too much attention is there a 64 bit distro? I think I saw one but I am not certain. At some point in the future whenever Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7 I might consider that especially if it supports AMD chips. I also wanted to tell you I did update the system right away. Thanks again Ray!

Old 04-02-12, 12:50 AM
It has been many years since I used the Distros you listed and with the exception of Kbuntu I'm sure they are now all a lot easier to use then when I tried them 8+ years ago. Kbuntu is basically Ubuntu but with the KDE desktop you like. PCLinuxOS does have a 64bit version. There are over 200 versions of Linux so you could spend a lot of time exploring.

For the record the three Linux Distros I have seriously used have been Debian, Freespire (no longer exists), and PCLOS. Note Debian is Gnome based but I used used it with KDE.

Old 04-02-12, 03:07 PM
H
Wow I never realized there were so many distributions before. Well I guess all kinds for all kinds of people out there and certain situations as I had read about some distributions being just for emergencies only and were not packed with a great deal of apps already. No I have been interested in computers almost all my life but never really got interested in Linux until real recently. I was of the mistaken impression that there were only a few distributions like with Windows but I sure was wrong. I will stick with ones though that have the most support as that is important.

Old 04-02-12, 04:38 PM
Don't forget Unix's other offspring BSD. It is still alive and kicking in several versions.

Old 04-07-12, 03:21 PM
H
I had never heard of BSD before well as I have stated I am new to Linux and all of its off spring so to speak. If someone wants to read more about BSD here is one link to read more about it FreeBSD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. So far I have found that any kind of Linux program or off spring there of work best with a usb mouse and not a ps2 mouse although they will with some coaxing but overall it isn't worth it.
I also found out that the program Wine that is supposed to emulate Windows is all but useless and I am now trying the virtual box and so far have found it is very slow in allowing the windows program to setup although I assume that is normal. If for some reason it doesn't work right when you have a chance Ray I could use some tips on setting up the virtual box. I have read the PCLOS forum but there is very little information there. I do remember seeing information about a website for the virtual box and that I am sure will help but having tips from someone who has done this before will be helpful too. Have a happy holiday Ray!
Thought I should update my post I get a message sorry plasma shell with the virtual machine so the first real attempt doesn't seem to be working. I also noticed that with PCLOS I can't seem to log into the root to make changes when in in my account and was wondering if you had come across that same problem? When I get a chance I am going to register and ask my questions there at the PCLOS forum. Again Happy Holiday!

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 04-07-12 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-14-12, 09:15 PM
H
Been a while since I last updated this and since then I have been on the PClinxos website. On that website I found out that my old computer just isn't up to the task of running both Windows XP and Linux. So I may still try it with Virtual Box but have about quit on that. One thing I haven't asked about in the PClinuxos website is a program I heard about called QEMU and whether you Ray had tried that or anyone else who has Linux and uses it has. I do know it is in the repository and it is an emulator but I am not sure that it would help or hurt or do nothing at all like Virtual Box not because of it being a bad program but because my computer just can't handle it.

Old 04-15-12, 10:14 AM
I found out that my old computer just isn't up to the task of running both Windows XP and Linux.
You mean one as host and one as guest in a VM, correct, because as dual boot you should be fine.

I have never used QEMU so I can't comment directly but will say Virtualbox is the only one I ever figured out how to use. The other VMs were just to hard for me.

Old 04-15-12, 04:00 PM
H
I tried QEMU and it is impossible to use, VirtualBox was better but with memory limitations of 384mbs and a 40gb hard drive I am so to speak boxed in. It will be one or the other Ray so I haven't really decided what to do things seem to be better using linux and a bit faster than with Windows but no printer drivers for Lexmark printers. Thus the need for Virtual Box but it doesn't want to work right. I may just sell that desk top with Pclinuxos on it as it is as I don't need it and it just sits there. Well I have learned some things and know that another old desktop I have should work with Linux as it has a bigger hard drive and more memory too. Thank you for your help and patience!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: