Need help with wireless connection - Toshiba laptop using Vista

Old 04-08-12, 10:38 PM
Need help with wireless connection - Toshiba laptop using Vista

Hi. I have a toshiba satellite laptop about 3 years old. When at home, I subscribe to Shaw Cable/Internet services, and always use wireless connection.

I am now a few hundred miles away and can't seem to hook up to wireless. I am staying at a mobile home park for a few months and they do have wireless. I came down here with a friend who also has a laptop and he is able to connect to the wireless.

Any ideas on what my problem could be......and what settings on my laptop I could try and change to help me connect?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Marie

p.s. I forgot to mention that when I go to Control Panel, Wireless Network Connections, the wireless I am trying to connect to shows up and I appear to be connected. When I click on it, it shows Wireless Network Connection Status and I click on Diagnose, and the Windows Network Diagnostics appears saying:

"Cannot communicate with DNS server(192.168.0.1). Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response....."

Last edited by Marie12345; 04-08-12 at 10:43 PM. Reason: to provide more info
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-12, 12:14 AM
I think I can help you as I have had the same issues with my Dell laptop at my house. First off though I should caution you about this forum the moderators don't like DNS server addresses showing like you have in your post. So if you can please delete that information yourself. Most laptops have network control software so please look for the manufacturers software. On my Dell it says Intel Network Adapters (note this is different from the Windows Vista network connection). Your laptop will be different of course but the network interface software is basically all about the same once you find it. It might say something like Toshiba network manager or network manager or even network interface and since I believe Toshibas ship out with AMD processors it may even say something like AMD network. So look for all of those things. Once you find it you will probably see different tabs so go to where it says Networks and look for the router that the mobile home park has in a list and if you don't see it you will probably see an option right there to scan for the network. Once you do you may see all kinds of networks there and you need to find the one for the mobile home park. Here is an example of what to look for without giving you any personal information of mine It might say something like G8NXX. That isn't my routers information but it looks something like that. It usually starts out that way with a G or even an N and the last two numbers that are where the xx's are could be just about any two numbers. This though should be supplied to you from your friend. After you find the router click on it once and where it says connect put in the WEP key or WPS pin that was supplied to you. If the router has open authentication then that is all you need to do. If on the other hand there is a password required then you will be asked for a password each time you login and should have been given that information by your friend. I wish you luck and if you have more problems please let us know. Having the model number of your laptop helps too as then we can look up the instruction manual online and more easily help you.

Old 04-09-12, 10:15 AM
See next post for info. I clicked once too many times when it was slow to respond.

Last edited by pjaffe; 04-09-12 at 10:31 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 04-09-12, 10:26 AM
Another possiblity is that, for some reason, your laptop was setup with a static IP address which does not correspond to the new network that you are on. Most often, IP addresses are setup to be managed dynamically meaning that you would be allocated an IP address when your PC connects to the network. There are certain scenarios where you would want a static address but I would guess that it does not apply to you. If you open your network properties andlook at the TCP/IP settings,you should be able to identify if you are using DHCP (dynamic addressing - which is prefered) or static (which will make your life difficult). If you do need to change from static to dynamic,make sure you record what the old settings were so that you can reset them when you get home. Please post back if you need help with this.

Old 04-10-12, 12:51 AM
Hi. It seems that the driver (I think that's what it's called?) is Atheros..... So I went to the Control Panel, System. Device Manager, Network adaptors, Driver, then to Update Driver Software, and I get a prompt saying "the best driver software for your device is already installed......." and that the Atheros Wireless Network Adapter is up to date.

hmmm This is so strange because normally I don't have a problem hooking up to other wireless networks.

Also, I went to Control Panel, Network Connections, Properties, and it says Connect using: and in that box, it says "Realtek RT.........PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS, Then if I click on configure, it says "You have made chanages to the properties of this connection. If you proceed your changes will be lost. Do you wish to proceed? So I clicked no. Wasn't sure what to do there. Also, below the box, it says This connection uses the following items: and all eight boxes are ticked off.

Also, at Control Panel, Network Connections, it shows Local Area Connection, and Wireless Network Connection boxes. Under Local Area Connection, it has a red X and says "network cable unplugged", and under Wireless Network Connection, it gives the name of the network and has green bars.

Oh man.....I am sooooo confused.

Old 04-10-12, 01:14 AM
Me again. I just went to the Device Manager, and right clicked on the Realtek (which I believe is my local connection way back home) and disabled it. Then I went into Internet Properties, Connections, and clicked Setup to try and set up the internet connection, but that didn't work. I got a prompt saying "The Wizard cannot create the connection".

I've never had problems connecting to wireless before. And as previously mentioned, the person sitting beside me had no problem at all hooking up to this new wireless connection. He also has a toshiba laptop, but his uses Windows 7, and mine uses Vista.

Old 04-10-12, 03:35 AM
hi Marie remember where you saw the green bars there should be a list of one or two routers perhaps more look there for the mobile home parks router and click on its sign. once you do you can then connect. Some router like the ones at McDonald's have an auto connect feature but doubt yours will but you can try. Good luck to you.

Old 04-10-12, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Re the green bars, the only wireless connection that comes up is the one for this mobile home park, and I click on to connect, and it says connected. However, even though it says I am connected, my laptop doesn't connect, but the person with the laptop sitting beside is able to connect.

Old 04-10-12, 02:51 PM
I think what you did was turn off Windows Vista's network controller. I have Windows 7 and waited for it to come out as I had heard bad things about Vista and actually even though Windows 7 is kind of like Vista in some respects it is entirely different in other respects. So to be absolutely sure I could help you I looked up Windows Vistas help page online as it concerns wireless networks. Here is the link to Vistas wireless page How to connect to a wireless network in Windows Vista . I hope that helps you, you can actually connect to wireless in one of two ways using a laptop one is through Windows service and not a way I recommend and the other through the laptops on board software which I do recommend. If you use the laptops software and provided the network software was configured properly you can press the FN key and on a Dell computer the F2 key at the top of the keyboard and that will turn off the wireless. Which also leads me to think that you could have accidentally turned the wireless off by pressing a combination of the FN key and any of the function keys which may or may not be that key on a Toshiba and they might even have a separate key that is not on the keyboard but I kind of doubt it. So at the top of the keyboard where all of the function keys are look for something that looks like a radio tower after you have checked the windows configuration out and tried to connect. If you have turned it off then pressing FN and any combination of the above should work.
Looking over your last few posts again I noticed something I hadn't paid too much attention to at first and that is you have a connection on the back of your laptop to connect to a wired network. Does the mobile home park provide a place for you to plug into their network? If so I would not worry about connecting to the wireless network and connect directly if possible. If not then I can't think of anything else to help you with this at least not right now. Either way though please wright back and let us know how things have worked for you and if I can't help you someone else must be able to help you. Good luck to you!

Old 04-12-12, 11:18 PM
Hi. Darn.....Nothing seems to be working. I did try pressing the Fn key with the F8 key (which is the wi-fi key on the toshiba) but it was a no-go. All the Fn keys appear at the top of the screen Except for the F8 key. Not sure why that would be... Also, there isn't a wired connection available here --- only wi-fi.

Also, I went to the link you mentioned for connecting to a wireless network in Windows Vista, but it basically just says to click Connect.

But thanks again. That was very kind of you to reply at such length.

Old 04-12-12, 11:44 PM
Hello Marie I am sorry that link didn't work. Did you click on the additional information page in blue? They had more information there as to how to configure the wireless. Sometimes Microsoft can be a bit cryptic and the information hard to find. Please do look that page over again and click on the blue link. Good luck to you!

Old 04-13-12, 03:31 AM
Because you can see the network and it's not connecting it's probably not a hardware problem.

Double-click the wireless icon in the task bar (lower right) and click Properties ... or ...
Navigate to Control Panel/Network Connections. Right click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.

Click on Internet Properties (TCP/IP) -- you may have to scroll to see it -- and select Properties. Check both "Obtain" boxes so you are automatically assigned an IP address and DNS server.

If they were already checked you have a different issue.

Toshiba also comes with its own wireless handler, which I've found to be lacking on my c.2004 laptop. In that case, Windows will show you an error box that says something like, "Windows is not able to manage your wireless connections." If so, click the box that allows Windows to manage wireless and try again.

Old 04-13-12, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to navigate to Internet Properties (TCP/IP) the way you mentioned, so can't find the "Obtain" boxes you mention above. So I've tried the following.

I went to Control Panel, Internet Options, Internet Properties, Connections, and clicked on LAN settings. There are a few boxes on that page. Under automatic configuration, the box that is ticked off is "automatically detect setting". The box that is NOT ticked off is "used automatic configuration script".

Under that, it says Proxy Server, and has a box "use a proxy server for your LAN..." That box is NOT ticked off.

Then I went to control panel, network connections, and right-clicked on the Wireless Network Connection icon. Then I clicked on properties and it has all 8 options ticked. What it shows is:

Connect using: Atheros AR(then a number)EG Wireless Network Adapter, and below that is a box that says Configure. I clicked on that and I get a box saying this device is working properly.

The Properties box also lists the following eight things which are all ticked off:
- client for microsoft networks
- jump start wireless filter driver
- QoS packet scheduler
- file and printer sharing for microsoft networks
- internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
- internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- link-layer topology discovery mapper I/O driver
- link-layer topology discovery responder
Then there are three boxes below that, install, uninstall, and properties. I left them all alone and then clicked OK.

Also, when I go the Network and Sharing Center, several options are clickable down the left hand side...... When I click on Connect to a network, it says I am already connected. When I click on Manage Wireless Networks, it lists three of them (two from back home, and the one here at the mobile home park in Oregon that I am trying to connect to). When I click on Set up a Connection or Network, then click on Connect to the Internet, it says I am already connected to the internet.

When I click on Diagnose and Repair, I get a box Windows Network Diagnostics, and then it says Windows confirmed that Primary DNS Server is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time. Then it goes on to say it usually means a firewall is running, so I turned off the Windows Firewall. It also says to Reset the Network Adapter "Wireless Network Connection". Then when I click that, the Windows Network Diagnostics box appears and says Repairing, and then it again says that "Windows confirmed that Primary DNS Server is currently online,but is not responding to connection attempts at this time" etc...

When I go into Device Manager, Network Adaptors, it lists Atheros and Realtek and it says both are enabled and working properly.

Not sure what to do next. Not sure if I mentioned this above, but the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L300 model no. PSLB0C-08R08C running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks again for your help!

It's so frustrating not being able to get online, especially since someone is sitting only a few feet away from me also with a toshiba laptop and they hooked up to the wireless within a matter of seconds.

Last edited by Marie12345; 04-13-12 at 11:02 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-13-12, 02:55 PM
I just tried a couple others things, but it didn't help.

I read somewhere to try the following so I did, but it didn't fix the problem. I closed the network monitoring program (? or something like that.........I'm way out of my league here) but it said to do that, I needed to go to User Accounts and turn off User Account Control, and then I went to the command prompt and typed in ipconfig /flushdns to clear the DNS cache. Still can't get online though...

Old 04-13-12, 11:35 PM
I looked online for your computers manual and I found it which makes it much easier to help you in some respects. First the link Ask Iris. This will take you to Toshiba's page where the entire manual is. On page 125 is some talk about your wireless setup but not a great deal however it mentions wireless trouble shooting in blue and you would click on that and you can read how to trouble shoot the connection. In chapter 5 it talks about utilities that your laptop has and one in particular called Toshiba Assist and that is where you set up your wireless card. Chapter 5 starts on page 136 so I suggest you read that chapter very carefully. I am also sending you to another page on their website that has further trouble shooting tips and in some ways is less cryptic here is that link Ask Iris. Be sure to carefully read all of the trouble shooting documents there. It sounds a great deal like a configuration problem to me since you can see a network. I think if you read the instructions and go slowly through the steps you may be able to configure the laptop. If not is there a public library nearby? Libraries have free wifi and usually very helpful staff willing to help you so you could ask one of the staff if they would set up your laptop for you on their wifi. Of course that doesn't help where you are but if you watch all steps they take then you can copy what they do. Much cheaper than taking it to a computer shop.
I also found a very short video on You Tube that talks about Windows Vista and Windows 7 Wifi trouble shooting here is that link How to fix Wifi problems in Windows 7, Vista, and XP (No Internet Access) - YouTube . It is a bit more advanced than I am used to but it might help you if all else fails. I am here to help so if you have more questions I will try my best and so will the rest here.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 04-13-12 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Additonal information
Old 04-14-12, 04:12 AM
Sorry about the misguided directions. I forgot you're using Vista. Either way, you found and verified that your computer is set to automatically obtain an IP.

Boot the computer. Make sure the wireless says it's connected.

Now reboot the computer and hold the F8 key while booting. A screen will appear with boot choices. Select "Safe Mode with Networking." If you can connect to the internet in Safe Mode you'll know that it's a program that's causing the issue. Firewall? Anti-Virus?

Old 04-14-12, 10:13 AM
Thanks again. I rebooted and went into Safe Mode with Networking, and I still can't get online. What would that indicate? This is so far over my head.....

In Safe Mode, it says that I am successfully connected to the wireless network here and the two little screen icons in the task bar are blue, but again, when I try to actually go online, I can't,and it says server not found.

I also turned off the firewall, but that didn't solve the problem.

Last edited by Marie12345; 04-14-12 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add info.
Old 04-14-12, 11:25 AM
I also posted in another forum and I tried to make the post more concise:

Hi. I have an older model Toshiba laptop (Satellite L300) and am using Windows Vista. I am a couple hundred miles away from home for a few months staying in a mobile home park that has free wifi, but am unable to connect to the WiFi here, even though I was always able to connect at home.

A few things I think are important:

A friend that came here with me also brought his laptop and he connected to the wifi right away. Even though I am sitting next to him with my laptop only three feet away, I cannot connect. This makes me think that somewhere between home and here, I must have inadvertently changed a setting on my laptop and now can't get online.

Things I have checked:

Under Control Panel, Internet Options, Internet Properties, Connections, LAN settings, the Automatic Configuration is set to "Automatically Detect Setting".

Under Device Manager, Network Adaptors, it lists Atheros and Realtek and says both are enabled and working properly.

Under Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Network Adaptors, Driver, Update Driver Software, it says "the best software for your device is already installed and up to date."

At Control Panel, Network and Sharing Centre,it shows a picture indicating my laptop, the wifi, and the internet globe. It shows me connected to the wifi, but between the wifi and the internet globe, there is a red X.

At Control Panel, Network Connections, Wireless Network Connection Status, Diagnose, it says "Cannot communicate with DNS server (192.168.0.1). Windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically. Then it says to click to open Network Diagnostics, and then it says Windows confirmed that Primary DNS Server is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time.

I tried to connect with the Firewall turned off, but that didn't help.

At one point I got a prompt saying to Reset the Network Adaptor, which I did, but then a prompt appeared saying "There still seems to be a problem with your connection."

I've tried taking the battery out for a couple minutes then putting it back in.

I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Thanks.

Old 04-14-12, 11:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With the Toshiba, do you have the antenna turned "on"? Wifey has one and that switch is really easy to turn off.

Old 04-14-12, 11:42 AM
Yes I do.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-14-12, 10:14 PM
I looked over that manual again online and realized finding the whole manual wasn't real easy. It can be found but is a bit hard to get to so here is some of what is relevant to your problem. It says to find Toshiba Assist click Start, All Programs,Toshiba Utilities and then Toshiba Assist. Once at Toshiba Assist you will see black bars on the side one says Connect at the very top and a big box next to there you should see Configfree Connectivity Doctor. This will help you connect to the wireless card to the network look at all devices and click on the icon notification area where the wireless is off and move the pointer to profile. Click to add a profile to start the create profile wizard. Beyond that the information from Toshiba doesn't go into any more detail but I imagine from there it should be fairly easy. I imagine you should have something like Dells diagnostic wizard,Site monitor, Link Status and wireless networks area. The important one to check though is the diagnostics wizard as it will tell you if your wifi card is working or not but as I already said I believe it is. You need to click on add a network and look for the network for the mobile home park or manually put the network information in. Since we will assume the card is working it should show up so you would click on the network you want and then insert the wep key or wpa key information