Questions about replacing the HDD in Toshiba Sat. laptop?

Old 04-21-12, 06:24 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about replacing the HDD in Toshiba Sat. laptop?

Ok, the HDD in my Satellite is dead. I would like to replace it but I am not going to put much money in this laptop. Have already replaced the laptop and would just have this as an extra. That is the reason for not putting much into it.

I plan on getting another HDD off ebay if I can get a low enough price. My question is this.

If I put another HDD in, what about an operating system? I am assuming I need to get a new copy of Windows XP. Correct? I doubt that the HDD will already have it. What about Linux? Is it hard to install? How user friendly is it? If anyone has any helpful info that I can use I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all past help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-12, 06:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What about Linux? Is it hard to install?
Depending on the distro usually easier then Windows.
How user friendly is it?
Depending on the distro maybe friendlier then Windows.

One Linux distro often recommended is Ubuntu. I tried it recently and even though I have used several version of Linux over the years I found it a real PITA to use. Just not intuitive. The Linux I use is PCLinuxOS. If your laptop will boot from a CD you can try the live version with out installing. You don't even need a working hard drive. KDE Desktop PCLinuxOS

Old 04-21-12, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
From a newbie to Linux perspective (installed on Rays recommendation for an old laptop)....I like it...but with a few caveats.

We use it for a laptop that we take with us for travel. Really not much more than websurfing email, chat, etc. She has used it for some of her workout classes as a media player a well.

If you use Windows stuff 98% of the time...it will take you a bit to remember how to do things in Linux or where things are if you only use it every month or so, like we do. I know I've read that you can set things up to be very very similar to Windows if desired..but it seemed to involve modifying files and such. More than I wanted to do.

The distro I got (believe it was the one Ray mentioned) had a ton of programs that came with it that do almost everything we need. I've downloaded a few other free programs for specific purposes and they all had a Linux version.

Oh...be advised...when using the CD to check it out...it will initially be much slower than an actual install. The install went very smoothly once I finally burned a good copy (something else I haven't done much, so it was new to me).

Old 04-21-12, 10:46 PM
K
what does "distro" refer too?

Ray, what does the PITA refer too? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Thanks for the help though

Old 04-22-12, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Distro....Distribution (yeah...should be "distri"...but distro sounds better...lol)

Linux comes in different "flavors", from plain vanilla to tutti-fruiti. All similar based on the same code..but with different things added. Some people want just a basic operating system and then tweak it to what they want. Others want it fully capable from the git-go. Or thats how I understand it.

PITA....Pain In The A$$

Old 04-22-12, 10:19 AM
I am running ubuntu11.10 on my laptop. Toshiba Satellite L755. I actually like linux better than windows, it's much easier to use, as well as faster. It's a 731MB download, so be prepared to wait awhile if you have DSL or satellite internet.

Old 04-22-12, 02:17 PM
H
I agree with Ray the Distro or distribution that he mentions is much better than most of the other Linux distros. I also agree with Gunguy Linux isn't for everyone because if you have dial-up internet for instance(which fewer people do) you don't want it for dial up internet or even using your modem as a fax machine as the modem isn't seen. For ethernet or high speed internet including wireless not a problem with either of those just slow modems.
You can though do what is called dual booting and run windows for those things you need windows for and run Linux the rest of the time. Be aware though that if you buy a small hard drive you can get Linux on but that will be about it. So I advise buying as large a hard drive as you can, if the laptop is three years old or less it may be able to take a 120gb hard drive and that will take care of both your windows and Linux files. Just be sure to check Toshibas forum first. I don't have the link for ISO burner but Ray does and you should use that program to burn a copy of the disk or you can buy the disks. There again Ray has that link as I don't have that handy on the computer I am using.
Ubuntu as was mentioned is good too but between Pclinuxos and Ubuntu I like Pclinuxos better of the two but either is fine. If you want something to be almost like Windows go with Pclinuxos or download Kubuntu either one looks most like Windows.
Lastly the last caveat is that some printers will not work well with Linux of any distro and that especially concerns Lexmark printers. HP,Canon an Xerox all do fairly well but HP is better although they don't support the Linux drivers so if you have a problem don't ask Hp for help. So think it over carefully and in the meantime you could try it out on your desktop computer using a program called Virtualbox. You can find Virtualbox here https://www.virtualbox.org/. Once Virtualbox is installed you can play with each distro and see which one you like. Best of all Linux and VirtualBox are both free.
Last word of advice make sure you download the right distribution as if you have a 32 bit machine you need a 32 bit operating system. Also check to see that you have enough memory linux isn't a real hog on memory like some Windows operating systems have been but still it doesn't hurt and all of the distributions have forums where you can ask questions. So in conclusion Linux isn't perfect but then neither is Windows operating system or Apples. It is safe though as rarely does anyone try to hack into a Linux computer. Good luck to you!

Old 04-22-12, 03:06 PM
K
if I replace the HDD with one off ebay, can I just reinstall window with a disc that a friend has as long as I use the windows key that is on the laptop?

Old 04-22-12, 03:18 PM
you don't want it for dial up internet or even using your modem as a fax machine as the modem isn't seen
Actually not correct. You can use on dial up but it is easier to use a hard(ware) modem then a soft(ware) modem. Drivers for a hard modem are built in. Soft modems require special software. Most dial up modems are soft modems. The primary exception being modems that plug into the serial port. Serial modems are almost always hard modems.

Last word of advice make sure you download the right distribution as if you have a 32 bit machine you need a 32 bit operating system.
Actually a 32 bit distro runs fine on a 64 bit machine.

Old 04-22-12, 03:21 PM
if I replace the HDD with one off ebay, can I just reinstall window with a disc that a friend has as long as I use the windows key that is on the laptop?
If it just installs the OS maybe but you would need to install drivers for your hardware. If it is a custom install disk for his machine then it may install drivers not compatible with your hardware.