Water got into the screen, colors all bad

Old 04-30-12, 06:33 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water got into the screen, colors all bad

I dropped a few drops of water into my laptop screen (got in from the edge). after that the screen color are all bad. (but If I connect the laptop to a CRT, the CRT's screen color looks fine) CAN THIS PROBLEM BE FIXED ?? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-12, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Depends on whether or not you feel froggy enough to take the screen apart. It's not rocket science but you do have to be gentle and remember where all the parts go. I'm married to a perpetual "dropper" of liquid into computers. If I catch it in time it's usually not too difficult. It is when it gets into the contacts and lights is when it is bad. Yours seems to be superficially under the outer screen. YouTube has disassembly instructions pretty rampant and for various makes, so take a look.

Old 04-30-12, 10:42 PM
C
Thank you for the quick response. I watched a couple of Youtube videos, found one disassemble the laptop I have (HP mini 110). Does not seems that hard, I think I can do it. but the question is, once I take it apart, then what should I do, go ahead replace the screen with a new one ? or the old one can still be repaired ? (How can I tell the screen is bad ? or may be something else is bad ? )

Old 04-30-12, 11:35 PM
H
Most of those screens if they are badly damaged usually can't be repaired. I never have had your experience but have had my share of bad screens. I think if you are extremely careful and disassemble the screen from its case then you may be able to dry it out well enough with paper towels. Don't whatever you do use a hair dryer just gently dry everything off and then set everything aside for a while and let it air dry for at least four hours as that should hopefully be long enough and then carefully put everything back together. As for replacement screens I have seen some on e-bay not for what you have but for Dells so I imagine you shouldn't have any problems finding your brand and model there if need be.

Old 05-01-12, 05:33 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the discoloration is only in the part of the screen that got wet, there is a good probability that the water is acting like a prism. In that case drying it out would fix it. You may not need to take it apart. Let it rest with the top open for a few days in a warm, dry place.

Old 05-01-12, 07:55 AM
C
The discoloration is on the whole screen. Looks like the blue and red does not match anymore. I see blue and red lines and also double images. So I guess I need a new one. Anyway, I will wait for a few more days and put it under the sun and see if that help, if that does not work, I will replace it. Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-02-12, 04:32 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I replaced the fluorescent lamp on my wife's laptop. It is mounted under the screen. It's not a difficult DIY job to replace screen, lamp, and inverter. As others have said, there are plenty of tutorials at the other end of Google searches.

One trick they don't tell you is to draw a map on a piece of paper showing the location of every screw. Place the screws on the map. There's no guessing when you put it back together. Also, take photos as you take it apart. Makes it easier to see how it goes back together.

One more: Buy the parts off of eBay from sellers with top feedback. You'll literally pay pennies on the dollar. The $40 lamp & housing cost me $7.

Old 05-03-12, 01:49 PM
C
Thanks, I'll do .