DNS lookup failed

Old 05-17-12, 02:30 PM
DNS lookup failed

I've been having problems with my internet. When I go to load a webpage, I get "DNS lookup failed" This is happening on multiple sites, and on multiple computers, running 7, XP, and Ubuntu. Also, when I'm on the VOIP phone, it drops the call, and gets "error please check your internet connection" Anyone know where to start troubleshooting? I'm at a loss. Thanks.

Last edited by Justin Smith; 05-17-12 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Getting this mixed up with a conversation on FB
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-12, 02:37 PM
Have you rebooted your router lately?

Old 05-17-12, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
I know it would seem hard to believe but it seems like its a east coast thing. ( Tri state area anyway) I have had issues also with DNS failure.

I called the provider and they told me it is happening all over the state and they are trying to resolve it.

It also seems to be slowing eveyone's connection speed to 54mbs. I am usually at 300 mbs wirelessly, but once someone in the neighborhood drops speed nthey do not reboot thier router. They stay at the 54mbs and it affects everyone around.

Look in the driver of a wireless card and see who is around you and what they are transmitting at.

Thats all I know about it.

Mike NJ

Old 05-17-12, 06:06 PM
Have you rebooted your router lately?
That was the first thing I did. The one from my ISP and my personal one, as well as my switch.

It also seems to be slowing eveyone's connection speed to 54mbs. I am usually at 300 mbs wirelessly, but once someone in the neighborhood drops speed nthey do not reboot thier router. They stay at the 54mbs and it affects everyone around.
We only get 24Mbps anyway.

Look in the driver of a wireless card and see who is around you and what they are transmitting at.
I am using a wired connection.

Here's what Chrome says:

Old 05-18-12, 05:54 PM
I really don't think it is your router and more than likely it is you isps server that handles DNS. Verizon has been working on that in my area in Maryland. Not a big problem for us but I work at night on things on the internet and sometimes want to watch a video on Hulu. Well one time we were watching a video after midnight and the other time I was just doing some surveys and everything stopped. Finally I did a diagnosis of the connection on Windows 7 and it said DNS error. I was on the phone with them for hours and finally they said they were working on their DNS server after the tech had talked to his supervisor. I imagine most of the problems are solved now but if not you should talk to your isp.

Old 05-18-12, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
You could use a DNS server other then your ISP's. I can't really tell you how but a bit of Googeling should tell you how.

Old 05-19-12, 10:00 AM
Well, I talked to my one friend, who suggested using open dns. I set my router to use open dns and Google, and left my isp's router alone. It seems to be working.

Old 05-19-12, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Glad I could at least point you in the right direction. Post back if it seems to be a permanent fix.

Old 05-19-12, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
I am trying open DNS also. I went into the wireless router and changed the DNS from The ISP provider one to the one open dns give you.

I have to say no more lag and a somewhat quicker in web surfing. Have not had a DNS error yet. Sons X box is right on the money also in the first shooter games.

Once I set the router all my computers are now better because the DNS comes from the wireless router.

I went and flushed the DNS cache on all the computers and all search history. ( Thats what it said to do.)

Just my 2 cents.

Mike NJ

Old 05-20-12, 02:07 AM
Once again I point you to this:

This site is a DNS checker. If it's red, your computer has a problem. If it's green you're OK:
DNS Changer Check-Up

Old 05-20-12, 04:49 PM
Rick, I have that page bookmarked, and could get nothing but green.