Modem speed

Old 05-28-12, 01:24 PM
Modem speed

I have a Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 2.0 modem provided (rented) by my ISP. I'm tired of paying $7 a month for a $60 modem and I plan on replacing it.

The modem is rated at 32MB A speed test on my connection indicates an upload speed of 16 MB and a download speed of 4 MB. If I upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 rated at 128 MB will I see any improvement in performance?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-12, 02:20 PM
It might be o.k. it certainly says it is faster than what you already have on the Amazon.com website. However there have been some who have said that it hasn't been completely compatible with Comcast's system so if you have Comcast you might want to check on other router modems and then check on Amazon.com to see the reviews there. I usually check there most of the time to see the reviews and see what they are saying about whatever I might want to buy. It has helped me in making a decision more than once. Reviews aside though Motorola is an excellent brand but just might or might not be a good fit for you. Good luck to you! Here is a link to the web page Amazon.com: Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem: Electronics

Old 05-28-12, 03:46 PM
There are a couple of things you have to think about. First, if you move up to Docsis 3.0 you need to make sure that your area will be able to use it. If you have Comcast, they've been buying up smaller cable companies but may not have upgraded their systems to take advantage of it yet. The second thing to think about is whether your speed is capped by your ISP. If it is then upgrading isn't necessarily going to make a big difference. You can call your ISP and double check to see if they do in fact support the newer standard. You will also have to call them to get re provisioned with your new hardware - this shouldn't be too painful. I would try to stay with the same brand that your ISP uses since they technically will not provide tech support if you provide your own cable modem but might be willing to help you if the modem is one they are familiar with. Looking at the long term savings, I would consider buying my own modem too. Good luck with your endeavors.

Mike