Microsoft Update on XP Home

Old 06-08-12, 10:40 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microsoft Update on XP

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread has been merged with a duplicate.]

I can't get to Microsoft Update...Have XP Home Edition.

I get a message: The website encountered a problem and can't display.....etc..

I can't even seem to logon to ask the question in the MS Support pages....the sign in just sits and keeps staring at me when I enter the info it requests.....

Also lately, think I must have fat fingered somthing. I keep getting red "x" in a box...... for example at the left of each post,, for a lot of pictures, on,,,,,and when I go to look at maps on google........very irritating... and as I'm writing this where it reads "Post New Thread" on this window,,,,just above it i get a "red x" in a box that says Home next to the x..... also all the items in "Post Icons:" below have a red x also.....

Pretty sad........am a tech dummy so if you wish to share some solutions, hope you make it idiot easy.....am good at building and bad at computers.

Hoping some kind souls lead me in the right direction.....if so,,,thanks,,,,

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 06-10-12 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-09-12, 03:50 AM
R
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which web browser are you using? Did you change its security settings? Higher security levels can turn off Java scripting, which is necessary in order to view and interact with many websites. The little red x box is usually a placeholder for a picture that can't load.

Old 06-09-12, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Go to tools/ internet options / advanced from menu bar. Reset IE setting button.

Let us know.

Mike NJ

Old 06-09-12, 09:24 PM
F
Microsoft Update on XP Home

Problem: When trying to from the Microsoft Website i get: The website encountered a problem and can't display....etc....

I also get red colored x in a lot of boxes, for example, on the "Post New Thread" for this site,,,below the text entry window, in the "Post Icons:" section, all the entries have the text and to the left are the red colored x.

Thanks to my earlier question, tried as was suggested to no avail....Went to default on Explorer security and default settings in the Tools/Advanced portion but still have the same problem....

Any more suggestions? Hope someone can help,,,,,

Thanks,

Old 06-09-12, 10:12 PM
F
Red x clue.

Regarding the Red x problems i've described in my update post......

New clue!

I used google in firefox browser and got msn.com,,,,loaded it and no more red x anywhere.....

I went and restored all the defaults I could and still have the red x problem when loading directly from 'Internet Explorer' icon......, still good if loaded from google search........

Any suggestions?

Old 06-28-12, 08:30 PM
T
It is possible that your browser has been compromised. There is code out there that will insert a proxy into your IE that will stop it from going to microsoft anything. the reason is you have a virus or malware. It stops you from going to MS sites to keep you from using windows updates and the malicious removal tool offered by MS or a patch that will stop what it's doing. Try going to a few antivirus websites and see if the same thing happens. If it does then your computer could be infected. Conficker was famous for this along with the Rogue Security softwar which imitates a microsoft product.

I would go to malware bytes and download their latest version, run it. malwarebytes.org If you can download it and it comes back clean then you may need to repair IE on your machine. You can do this by downloading it via firefox from microsoft. Running it you should be able to repair it.

Old 07-28-12, 03:14 PM
C
Try running malwarebytes to see if there are any funny programs on your computer. Also, go to Internet Options > Connections and check to see if it is setup for a proxy server (it shouldn't be unless you gave it an IP proxy)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: