Replacing keyboard on Gateway NV53A Notebook

Old 06-28-12, 02:57 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing keyboard on Gateway NV53A Notebook

I was wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge as to how to replace a keyboard on a Gateway NV53A notebook. I have gone to Gateway's site where they have detailed instructions on how to replace keyboards on a number of their notebooks. Unfortunately my model is not represented. In the instructions I've found there appear to be two basic ways of doing it. In one case you must remove some screws from the underside of the computer that are holding the bezel on, then you flip the computer over and pry off the bezel holding the keyboard in place. In the other case you simply pry off the bezel. Neither of these cases seem to apply in my case. I cannot find any screws on the underside that would be holding the bezel. But when I try to pry up the bezel it seems to be solidly in place. I am leery of prying to hard for fear of breaking the bezel which contains the on/off switch. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. Bob

Old 06-28-12, 05:49 PM
B
Replacing a keyboard on a Gateway NV53A Notebook - Followup

My grandson who kept insisting I go to YouTube to locate instructions for doing this finally went there himself, found some instructions, and removed the old keyboard himself (I guess I should listen to him more). So the problem is resolved. The next problem is getting another keyboard. The one I got, while it works, is actually not wide enough by probably an inch!

Old 06-28-12, 10:39 PM
H
Have you tried e-bay? Getting it from Gateway will be problematic at best. I heard a few years ago that Acer computer had bought Gateway and when they did sold out the laptop division to another company and since then it has been harder to get parts let alone find information on Gateway laptops.

Old 06-29-12, 02:45 AM
O
finding the keyboard

Just go search google with the specs of the laptop. Be it new or old, they will find some third party guys with a new keyboard for you. Also pay special attention to how the other one comes off. Usually the ribbon is connected underneath of the keyboard to a clip. Sometimes they just slide over the contacts and the clip Pushes it onto the contacts. Either way this is a special project and if you dont seat it just right, you will end up with keys missing when you type.

Oscardawgg

Old 06-29-12, 03:40 PM
B
Replacing a keyboard on a Gateway NV53A Notebook - Followup

oscardawgg and hedgeclippers

Thanks for the replies. As you can see by my followup yesterday my grandson bailed me out of this one. Actually he didn't find it on Youtube as it turns out, he Googled it and found the answer (as oscardawgg suggested). But you are right about Gateway being sold to Acer. Actually I believe Acer still owns them, but of course someone else may own Acer now. In any case, if you go to their site you may find answers to your problems, but lately when I sought answers they were of no help - a few weeks ago when I needed to replace the HDD, and more recently when I needed to replace the keyboard. By the way, this was the second time the HDD needed to be replaced. The first time it was under warranty, the second time was about a month after the 90 day service warranty expired. But that was probably for the better as I purchased a new drive with twice the capacity (and probably a better model) for $100. They wanted $200 to fix it which meant shipping it to their repair center in Texas. Plus that new drive would have likely failed a short time later anyway. I'm done with Gateway. -Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: