windows xp hard drive making clicking noise

Old 08-10-12, 09:28 PM
so i just hit escape when it frezzes?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-12, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Actually I would hit Escape when it leaves Grub. That puts the display in verbose mode so you can watch what it is doing. I also suggest you post your questions at Hard Drive Installation where people far more knowledgeable then me can help you but please come back here and let us know how it went.

Old 08-11-12, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
Unless I'm not reading right, you still need to get a new hard drive, no matter what OS you're wanting to install.
Sounds like you're trying to install this onto your old drive, which is now toast. Not gonna work no matter what you try.

Old 08-11-12, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
This is a LiveCd. It does not use the Hard Drive and you do not need to install to the hard drive.

Old 08-11-12, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
OIC. I'm wondering tho, if something else wasn't wrong first. They originally said
the computer said it was operating outside normal standards
so could have been something other than the hard drive to begin with. The clicking noise didn't start until he opened the drive.
If something else went south, could be this LiveCd won't fix the problem and the reason they can't load it. Just sayin.

Old 08-11-12, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, LiveCD won't work if the memory is bad or motherboard bad or CPU is bad.

I reread his first post. I missed the part about no click before opening hard. I guess my mind just couldn't accept the idea that someone would open a hard drive unless it was making a noise.

Okay so lets start again. No such thing as an XP hard drive and the message you got may well have been related to almost anything. It very well could have been software related not hardware related but just can't say.
my windows xp hard drive makes a clicking noise, i opened it up before it started making the noise because the computer said it was operating outside normal standards after i opened it looked at it a bit and closed it,

Last edited by ray2047; 08-11-12 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-11-12, 10:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hard drives have a self-diagnostic system (called SMART - Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) that reports to the BIOS if any of their operating parameters are outside of a normal range. It's a pretty reliable system that warns of an impending failure, so as to give you enough time to back up important data.

If a drive throws a SMART error, your data is on borrowed time. For example if it takes longer than normal for the platters to get up to speed, that's usually indicative of a failing motor or bearing. If it experiences an abnormal number of read or write errors, it could indicate a failing read/write head or a deteriorating/damaged platter.

---

Basically what happened was when he took the cover off the drive, dust and moisture got inside. Either one will destroy the read/write head (which is about a quarter the size of a human hair). Once the head is destroyed, the drive can't track data, and it makes what we call in the industry the "click of death". It's literally banging its head against the wall because it can't find where the data is.

Here's a good demonstration of what the click of death looks like (if you don't want the geeky explanation, skip to the 4:00 mark):
Hard Drive Click of Death Explanation and Live Demonstration - YouTube

Old 08-11-12, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the video Jerseymatt it was very informative. I think I saw a message something like that when my older computers motherboard went south only in that case it wasn't of course the hard drive. At that time I had trouble accessing the hard drive because of the bad motherboard. I think you Ray2047 and you Shadeladie make a valid point maybe the motherboard is fried too at which case if it is a real old computer then I would say send it to a recyclers so something can be safely done with the components. Unless of course you really like the computer in which case you might be lucky like I was and find a used still good motherboard on e-bay. I myself though probably wouldn't bother as it would be throwing good money after bad.
Then too some of those live CDs don't tend to not work too well in an older computer and with older components as was the case with my Compaq Presario 5900T which is an old Pentium III so it might be the rest of the components are o.k. but this is temperamental. Linux in my opinion is o.k. for older computers but with reservations. Of course everything depends on what you have in the computer.

Old 09-01-12, 09:16 PM
hi sorry its been so long so i guess the computer is trash then?

Old 09-02-12, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Well, sounds like something was wrong before you damaged the hard drive and you also commented that you never used that old computer anyway, SO, I personally don't think I would invest in buying a new hard drive just to discover you can't use it anyway.
I would toss it, but that's my opinion only.

Old 09-02-12, 02:35 PM
I agree with Shadeladie just give the computer a toss or donate it to a charity as someone may be able to use some of the components for something. Of course you could always buy a hard drive on e-bay used but if the computer is real old it really wouldn't be worth it.