Mechanical Keyboards: Worth the cost ? Do any of them have "media" keys ?

Old 08-12-12, 10:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mechanical Keyboards: Worth the cost ? Do any of them have "media" keys ?

I've always wondered if it'll be worth upgrading from the standard staples/wal-mart el cheapos that wear out and get spongy within 6m-1year to get a mech one ? Or do they last only around a year before wearing down too ? It seems a decent one is going to run around $120 with non-standard keys ?

Old 08-12-12, 11:18 PM
H
I don't have any mechanical keyboards that I use but I think there are some around here somewhere but they still work for being as old as they are. I guess it depends on the manufacturer of the keyboard as to the quality of the plastic versus mechanical keyboard. Anyway your question got me to thinking has anyone else discussed this same topic somewhere else and the answer is yes. Here is a link to an article on PCWorlds website Mechanical Keyboards: Should You Switch? | PCWorld. There is a whole article there as well as a discussion as well. The author does point out that mechanical keyboards are very heavy compared to their all plastic counterparts and he is right they are quite heavy. He also shows one of the old IBM keyboards I think I might still have and some newer models. Hope this helps. I see by the way that you are new to the forum welcome to the forum.

Old 08-13-12, 12:11 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you're really hell-bent on trying a mechanical keyboard, go to an equipment recycler and get an old one for a couple bucks. You'll probably also need an adapter to change the plug to PS/2 or USB, depending what your computer has and what the keyboard has. That way you're not making a huge commitment only to find that you don't like it.

Personally I hate mechanicals, and I type for hours a day. The pronounced clicking drives me nuts, and as was mentioned in the article that hedgeclippers linked, they tend to make videoconferencing with a webcam mic impossible. I have also never 'worn out' a membrane keyboard (but I do know that happens). Only keyboards I've ever replaced were because something got spilled or the cord was damaged or something. I have a Microsoft soft-touch keyboard I bought in 1998 that still works perfectly.

Don't take offense to this, but you're probably older? Learned to type before computers were common? I've found that people who learned to type on a typewriter tend to go through keyboards like water. It's because they're used to the heavier mechanical keys, and they tend to type very heavily on a membrane keyboard - which wears them out faster. It's kinda the same as when you put someone who's driven a stick all their life into a car with an automatic transmission - they tend to drive with both feet, using their left foot (or both feet) for the brake because they're used to pushing a left pedal to stop.

Whether it's typing heavily or driving with two feet, those are things that once you learn are very difficult to unlearn. My mom started using a computer probably 8-10 years ago. Before that she had an IBM Selectric that she used almost daily since college. I replace her laptop keyboard about once a year or so because I can't get her to stop pounding the keys.

Old 08-13-12, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I've found that people who learned to type on a typewriter tend to go through keyboards like water.
Umm no, not everyone. I learned to type on a typewriter (and that's what I typed on when I used to work in an office) and my keyboards last for years. I'm still using the same keyboard that came with my computer, which I bought at least 4 or more years ago.

Old 08-13-12, 09:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm not hard on a keyboard either and I learned to type with an old fashion typewriter.... but that was in high school and I doubt I did any typing between then and getting a PC and joining the forums a few yrs ago. I was surprised that I was able to remember how

Old 08-13-12, 09:36 AM
J
No, I learned to type in middle and high school (about 12 years ago). I just find that keyboards wear down after about a year or two and the keys get harder to press. Losing that smooth easy to type feeling and replacing it with harder to press keys.

I do need the media keys to turn up/down/mute games when someone runs in to my room starting to rattle on during a battle.

So I guess the other question is, would a higher priced "gaming keyboard" do the trick then ? Like a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 or X6 ? Is the quality any better than the run of the mill elcheapos like V7's etc found at walmart and staples for $20-25 ?

Old 08-13-12, 09:52 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
My problem is the characters wear of the cheap ones and I'm not a touch typist. I buy mechanical ones just because they are cheap from recyclers on Ebay. Usually something like ten assorted keyboards for $10. Usually a couple are junk but the price is still good. I'm using a Hewlett Packard right now that based on the stickers started life at a 911 dispatch office. Works really well and the characters haven't worn off yet. Heck even has mutimedia keys and jacks for mic and earphone.

Old 08-13-12, 11:25 AM
J
Originally Posted by Shadeladie
Umm no, not everyone. I learned to type on a typewriter (and that's what I typed on when I used to work in an office) and my keyboards last for years. I'm still using the same keyboard that came with my computer, which I bought at least 4 or more years ago.
Originally Posted by marksr
I'm not hard on a keyboard either and I learned to type with an old fashion typewriter.... but that was in high school and I doubt I did any typing between then and getting a PC and joining the forums a few yrs ago. I was surprised that I was able to remember how

Just going by what I see. I own a computer repair shop and the older customers are the ones constantly wearing out keyboards.

Old 08-13-12, 11:29 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Just going by what I see. I own a computer repair store and the older customers are the ones constantly wearing out keyboards.
They also tend to only own one computer or computer like device.

Old 08-13-12, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It's all about technique I think. Just like the Revenge of the Nerds movie....lift your wrists and strike straight down. And don't eat grilled cheese sandwiches or crackers as you type.

I'm guilty of poor technique, crackers and all the rest....and my Logitech wireless just keeps on trucking...as long as I occasionally turn it over and clean it out.

Old 08-13-12, 04:15 PM
H
I agree with Gunguy45 it really is all about technique and I bought a Logitech wireless in part with Gunguy45's help and I really like it. It was more expensive than most keyboards but really well made and I have to agree with JerseyMatt the sound mechanical keyboards make is terrible I can't stand the clicking noise. I also can't stand hearing music or anything else much while my computer is on especially my desktop so unless I am required to have the sound on most of the time it is off. So I think it really depends on what you need a keyboard for. I have bought some all plastic keyboards at yard sales and flea markets used and they still work fine for me with no sticking keys so most of the time I pay very little for a keyboard.

Old 08-13-12, 07:23 PM
Just going by what I see. I own a computer repair store and the older customers are the ones constantly wearing out keyboards.
I think the older ones just don't know how to replace their own. I have to replace mine every 6 months, because forums, chat rooms, and Facebook kills them.

Old 08-14-12, 12:47 AM
J
Get outside more! Jeez!

Old 08-14-12, 08:24 PM
Get outside more! Jeez!
What do you think I do when I'm sitting out on the porch till midnight? haha.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: