Bad Hard Drive, what do I do next?

Old 08-23-12, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad Hard Drive, what do I do next?

I have a E-machines T2958, desktop computer, as the title says I have a bad hard drive, would like to replace it but not sure which one to get. I have run Ubuntu off of a live disk, but did not really get anywhere with the disk (Ver 5.1). I would like to know if I could do something with the disk that would allow me to know if in any way I could fix the hard drive. I am in no way worried about the info on the computer since the inportant documents are in the dropbox. If not than I would like to know if anyone could suggest the cheapest hard drive that would be compatible with my computer. Computer currently has a 80GB hard drive. I can run a disk off the computer's cd-rom but cannot get into the BIOS. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-12, 07:32 PM
I found a hard drive on Newegg's website that should work and the price is real decent too here is the link Newegg.com - Refurbished: Seagate DB35 Series 7200.2 ST3802110ACE 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA66 / ATA-5 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive . As for repairing the old hard drive there really isn't anyway to fix it short of maybe sending it back to the manufacturer and asking them to repair it but it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. Instead I would just carefully drill holes in the case of the old hard drive and destroy the platten so no one else can try to access the drive.
As to going into the Bios I wouldn't bother with it as the bios will automatically detect the new hard drive and hopefully it will already be set up to recognize the CD-Rom drive first. If not then you will need to go into the bios and most times can get into it by pressing the CTRL key as it boots or sometimes F9 or another key. This hard drive I am telling you about is refurbished by the manufacturer with limited returns so look it over carefully before buying it to see that it matches your hard drive. I am fairly confident though as I looked your computer over on the manufacturers website. Luckily they had a manual available to look at. When I looked at the manual online it said that it originally had Windows XP on it but Linux might work o.k. with that it depends on the hardware and if it worked before for you then you should be o.k. with it. Good luck to you and please post back if you have any other questions.

Old 08-24-12, 05:04 PM
Thank You soo much

I just ordered it right now. The price was perfect. I will keep you posted on how it works. Any suggestion's on how to install the hard drive, have never done it before

Old 08-24-12, 06:19 PM
Your welcome glad I could help. Installing the hard drive will be easy just make sure you unplug the computer first and put it on its side as it is easier to deal with it that way. If you don't have an anti-static strap then make sure you install the hard drive somewhere where there is no rug to prevent static from damaging the drive. While you are at it use canned air you can find at about any electronics dealer and blow the dirt out of the computer. About everyone has dirt in their computer no matter how much cleaning you do around the house. Keeping the computer clean will make everything last longer. If you have an air compressor and a blowing attachment you can use that but make sure it is clear of water in the line before you do and don't use high pressure. I do that myself and then I am careful to not use it for about a half hour.
I took a look at the manual again as I had downloaded it and it looks like the hard drive is in a hard drive tray that slides out. Looks like you take some screws out and then pull the tray out so you are limited in how many hard drives you can install due to the configuration. Once you remove the tray you unscrew the old drive from the tray and set it and the screws aside and place the new hard drive in exactly the way the old hard drive was installed. I found your manual using Google and putting in the your make and model of computer. I would give you the link but I didn't save it just the downloaded manual. One last tip this kind of hangs from the track so keep one hand on the tray while pushing it back in the computer. Good luck to you! If you have any other questions I will be glad to help.

Old 08-24-12, 07:23 PM
About everyone has dirt in their computer no matter how much cleaning you do around the house. Keeping the computer clean will make everything last longer.

Think that is really good advice.

I have an Intel Program that monitors my motherboard for temperatures and fans speeds. I noticed the processor was getting warmer and warmer every day. Thought I had a big problem - goodbye proc. Turned out the screens for my fans were totally blocked with dust and crud. (I would not win a good housekeeping award).

Old 08-24-12, 09:22 PM
One more question

I have the restore disk that came with the computer, can I use that disk to install it on the new hard drive? I have wiped clean the old hard drive a few times just to start things off fresh, when I would feel the computer was getting slow. If its possible then I would really prefer that instead of using Linux, just because I am not too familiar with it.

Old 08-25-12, 02:07 AM
Zoesdad don't feel bad if you saw my place you would know I could never win a good housekeeping award. I should follow my own advice as there is dust on the front of my desktop and I am sure on the inside. Kind of being lazy about getting to it because when I first built it I goofed and covered the mouse and keyboard ports. I don't use either port as I have a usb mouse and keyboard but want it right too. I have it on my to do list.
blanquitoman the restore disk should be fine and if it says Windows XP it should have that and maybe some other programs that the manufacturer had on it. Some of those programs may or may not slow things down though so if you had a regular Windows XP disk it would be preferred but anything you don't like you can always remove later too like for instance if the restore disk has an anti-virus program on it. Some anti-virus programs I have found actually slow your computer down so I would remove those as they would be too old anyway and then install something free like AVG or Avast both of which right now I would recommend.

Old 08-25-12, 08:45 AM
So just boot off of the disk, and I should have no problem?

Old 08-25-12, 01:01 PM
Yes you shouldn't have any problems at all just put the disk in the CD-Rom drive and it should start right away. Only thing you will need is the Windows license key which the manufacturer should have put on the side of the system. If you have any other questions please post back. Would like to know how it works for you too. Have a nice day!

Old 08-31-12, 12:44 PM
Thank You soo much

Put in the new hard drive put in the recovery disk had no problem at all. Now I have the computer running as if nothing happened. Once again thank you for all the help and patience.

Old 08-31-12, 02:02 PM
Your welcome I know how annoying it can be when your computer doesn't work right. I had so many bad experiences especially with one manufacturer that when I saw this forum I knew I could learn more and try to help people too.
To keep your hard drive a bit longer and to keep it from overheating you might want to consider a hard drive cooling fan. They sell those on Tigerdirect.com but I am not sure with the configuration that you have if one would fit so I suggest looking the pictures over carefully and then deciding if it would work for you. Either that or maybe adding an extra fan in the front if it doesn't have one already. Other than that extra tip I can't think of anything else and I am glad it is working for you.