Lost all hardware

Old 08-27-12, 04:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Lost all hardware

Shut down computer last night after Skyping wifey, just as I normally do. Woke up this morning to no internet. Couldn't reboot modem/router successfully. Finally wound up clicking on control panel/system/device manager..........No Devices listed.....none. No internet/email/nothing that required hardware profiles.
I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack, by any means, but am a good fisherman. I clicked on control panel/administrative tools/services and noted almost everything was turned off. Oh, tried a restore point and there were none. Only this month showed and none. I know there are at least 2 a week, every week.
Finally after starting each profile, the computer came back to life. Any one else had this experience or can offer me more advice as to what else I should do? Ran AVG, full scan; ccleaner; superanti spy, also.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-12, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Larry I am sorry you are having problems are you running Windows 7 by any chance? I had trouble with my keyboard and mouse using AVG. You might want to uninstall AVG and then see if everything comes back. Since I have taken off AVG though I have also lost printing functions at times and I have had to use system restore. Anyway try that and see what happens sounds like you had a bad update or a virus or trojan but all of what you used should have cleared any virus or trojan. I have one other idea if that doesn't work. Good luck to you and please post back after you have tried that and let me know what version of Windows you are using.

Old 08-27-12, 07:42 PM
Sorry, Hedge, I know I should have included computer particulars. Dell Latitude D820, XP, 2.2 GHz, 3 Gb Ram. I think that's right. I can't access System Information....says "Can't Collect Information", so I am still somewhat sunk. My first instinct was to use System Restore, but since there was no restore point, I had to cut bait.

Old 08-27-12, 08:56 PM
Now that I know what you are using I can help you better. First thing I want you to do is run CHKDSK and I will tell you how I do it the easy way. First look in My Computer click on that, See your C: Drive Right click on that and scroll down to properties and click on that it will say local disk properties click on the tools tab and then click on Error Checking check off automatically file system errors. Check off Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. Click on Start and then restart your computer.
If that doesn't work you will need to use the Recovery Console on the Windows XP disk it is a bit detailed but not too hard either so I am giving you a link to Microsofts website for that here is the link How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP . Try CHKDSK first though and be prepared to wait as depending on your hard drive size it can take a while. CHKDSK should work though and I don't see why it shouldn't repair your problem but there are times when you need the disk. Post back when you do that Larry and let me know how it worked for you.

Old 08-29-12, 03:07 AM
Ran CHKDSK. That was fun. I got all functionality back except my Lexmark Pro700 network wireless printer. I still don't have anything listed in System Information. Still "Can't collect information", so I am "working", but fear it is not 100% yet. Thanks for the input. Think of anything else, I'm willing to try it.

Old 08-29-12, 02:20 PM
Do you see any restore points Larry. I remember you saying you had lost restore points and it is possible they came back if they didn't then I am afraid you will need to use the recovery console with the Windows XP disk as that may be the only way you will get back some of the elements of windows that are missing on your computer. Not sure what happened but I think it was a bad update of Windows that caused it in the first place. If I was you I would take AVG off as I had said before and either use Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials after you run the recovery console. Basically you are doing a repair of windows and this process shouldn't hurt your other files but possibly could so they do recommend backing up what you can. As to your Lexmark printer before you do the recovery console remove that from your computer and AVG. Might be a good idea even to remove any antivirus from your system before doing this as they might interfere with the repair process as you can always re-install the antivirus anyway once the process is finished. Be prepared to wait maybe an hour or more as Windows XP will basically be starting from scratch.
When I remove programs I first will look at the program list as I think that is best to go through the program and then Control Panel under Settings in the start panel and Add/Remove programs. This should fix everything on your installation of Windows XP. If it doesn't I will have you look for other things but by all rights it should.

Old 08-29-12, 02:26 PM
Thanks, hedge. No restore points except for the ones I made. No previous months available. I used Avast at one time, but it had a problem and could not be corrected due to language differences between this redneck and someone in ga ga land, so I deleted it and installed AVG. I was better satisfied with Avast, and may go back to it as you said. Printer problem was user interface problem (duh). Using a disk of a long ago printer since donated to charity. Found the right disk under the printer of all places
I'm getting things stabilized to where I can use it, and will do as you suggest this weekend. Wifey dropped her Atrix 4G in water last week, so I have been changing mother board, digitizer and LCD to get it back. Not enough time in the day!!

Old 08-30-12, 02:46 AM
Larry I thought of some other things if memory serves me right I think I might have had to use my license key during the final process. Anyway not a bad idea to wright it down just in case off of the computer case. Also When you do this for all intents in purposes Windows will have a memory problem so to speak so if you have the service pack three disk available it will save you some grief of having to have to download it again. Unfortunately that process after loading it is kind of long but not too bad. As for your other programs they shouldn't be a problem just maybe the anti-virus as I mentioned before. Anyway this is from memory I haven't had to do a repair of Windows in the last five or so years give or take a few years. I can't think of anything else right now. If you get in a jamb on the weekend and need further help I will be here off and on checking the forum. Good luck to you my friend!

Old 08-30-12, 03:19 AM
What is your overall take on SP3? I have heard it is not all that great, and some say to avoid it. I finally got everything back, including System Information, so things are looking good. I am an inquisitive person, so finding out what actually happened will haunt me. Yeah, I've got the license key in a secret password file on the computer. The little sticker may not stay put, I feel.

Old 08-30-12, 04:24 AM
I would install SP3 without hesitation. It contains all of the updates and fixes from previous versions plus the new ones (to the date it was released). From there, Windows Updates will bug you and it's up to you which ones to install. For example, if you use Firefox or Chrome you won't need to update Internet Explorer.

Old 08-30-12, 02:16 PM
I agree Larry with everything Rick Johnston said about service pack three you really need it for the stability of the operating system and for system security too. Unfortunately Microsoft's software engineers don't always take their time with something before it is released and then there are the exploits that come along too so service pack three is a must.
Even if you are not using Internet Explorer I would still do Windows updates for that and for the other components of Windows otherwise you might find someone trying to use a back door so to speak to infiltrate your system. I wish you didn't have to do a repair but I feel it really is for the best since not all of the Windows components are there. Better write down or print out your Windows key as you will not have access to any files on your computer until the process is done with the repair.

Old 08-30-12, 05:44 PM
OK, gonna do the SP3 thingy. Let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for looking in on me.