Jersey Matt I got one...LOL Live platinum security

Old 08-30-12, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Jersey Matt I got one...LOL Live platinum security

I spoke to soon from an earlier post. Go ahead and say it...I told you so...But,

My sons computer today got live platinum security today, and it shut everything down. No internet, no safe mode, cant run any exe files, etc.

I have MSE on his and a few others. Apparently it/nothing detected this. Possibly he went somewhere he was not suppose to.

The only thing I can manage to do is clear the cache to somewhat stop the process. This will let me scan with my stuff, but nothing is found. Reboot its back.

r kill, tdss kap, malware bytes, super anti spyware, etc

I have not been able to get into restore yet, and not sure it will work.

I am about ready to pull out XP and do a repair, but what a PITA that is.

Any help to expedite would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-12, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Old 08-30-12, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Tried all that.

------------------------------------------------

Old 08-30-12, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Bummer. Kinda figured you had but thought I'd throw it out anyway.

Old 08-30-12, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Oh geez, my son is going to kill me. I have the blue screen of death now.

The only think I can get into know is recovery console. But I don't know how to use that.

Old 08-30-12, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
IRQL not less or equal .

If anyone knows, let me know.

Old 08-30-12, 02:11 PM
Mike, at the blue screen of death, did you try pushing the left shift key 5 or 6 times quickly to see if "sticky keys" would activate?

Sometimes, also, IIRC, I've been able to get a 3-finger salute to work there. If the [email protected]#$% computer is still recognizing that it's attached to a keyboard!

Old 08-30-12, 02:35 PM
Lawrosa I am sorry you are having problems. Luckily I had looked up the Recovery Console information directly from Microsoft just recently here is the link in how to use it How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP. Unfortunately if the system is too badly corrupted with a virus about the best thing you can do in some circumstances is just wipe the drive using a program like Dban available for download for free here About DBAN | Darik's Boot And Nuke . Write it as an iso file to CD-Rom and then put it in the computer and use autonuke. I like this iso recorder available for free here ISO Recorder or you can use some burning software already installed on your computer. Try doing a repair first though and then if you have to wipe the drive. Good luck to you!

Old 08-30-12, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Clippers

Tried repair, did not work. On reboot back to blue screen.

Nash not sure of the left shift key. What am I trying to do.?

I could do a complete reinstall, but I need to get one financial file that I have on his computer. The reason it is there because that was my old computer, and I never got around to transfer to the newer computer.

Uggg!!!

Old 08-30-12, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Maybe change out the drive install new OS...use the old one as an external...find the file(s) you need, then wipe the old one?

Did that with wifes old PC....had the click click click and no boot thing...tried every repair from members here as well as the web....no help. Pulled HD put it in an external dock, new drive with new OS (or was it a new PC...I don't remember now)....was able to access everything on the old drive...pics, music, taxes, everything.

Old 08-30-12, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Jersey Matt says he does this for a living. I will wait to see what he says before I wipe it.

I can get into recovery console and that's it. Cant do anything else at all. I read that Microsoft thing, but it does not tell you what to do.

I will poke around the web to see what I can find.

Basically all I get is the blue screen that says this.

IRQL not less or equal .

Looking it up though it may not of been from the virus. It seems like a hardware, or memory dump issue from what I read.

I only got the blue screen of death one other time. That was with windows ME. I took a hammer to that computer when XP came out....LOL

Old 08-30-12, 06:13 PM
Lawrosa I agree with you Microsoft is kind of cryptic for some reason as to what to do so I am going to give you a link to another forum that makes it easier to understand here is the link CHKDSK - How to run from the Recovery Console . I know half the time I don't understand what they are saying and it is one of the reasons I come here and occasionally look in on other forums too. I think once you look at it you will say that is better than what Microsoft says and it should solve any problems you have.

Old 09-01-12, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Follow up,

Well could not figure it out. I took the PC to the local repair shop. They are pretty good from what I here from other.

Well he said the OS was corrupt but he could get all the files all off, and reinstall XP for me. Then put all the files back on. He said the computer was sound and no hardware issues.

Total cost is $135 bucks. Is it worth it? Don't know.

I would of been frustrated and wiped the thing clean but would have lost all files in my process.

I am going to have to accept that price. I was hoping Jersey Matt would have responded with a fix, but I could not wait.

My son also uses that computers internet connection for his X box. If you ever had a 12 year old ask you 200 times the same question, "when will he be able to play my game", you know what I mean.

Poor kid....LOL

In the mean time I think I am going to be looking into a back up external drive to throw files in.

Old 09-01-12, 02:50 PM
Lawrosa I am sorry you had to take the computer to a repair shop. Well they obviously have more advanced techniques and advanced knowledge. I haven't went to a repair shop for a long time but I would say with the state the economy is in now and throwing in the complexity of the problem you have a bargain at that. I did see JerseyMatt a few times online but perhaps he was looking into other things at the time. I find if I want to get another members attention it is just best to send them a private message
I had thoughts myself of you using that hard drive as an external hard drive but hesitated to suggest it especially if it was infected with a computer virus. I wouldn't have wanted to see you have trouble with yet another computer. This way is probably for the best and it may have needed a few other little things done while it was there to make it work better. Have a nice day!

Old 09-04-12, 11:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry man, I've been busy with other things. I wish I could've helped you out..

Now.. I hate to say "I told you so!", but.... Ahem..

I guess you'll be installing live defense and turning your firewall on now, RIGHT???

That said, what you paid isn't unreasonable. I charge $65 for a straight up scan and disinfection (I scan with 4 separate programs). If it's so borked that the OS needs to be reinstalled, it's $100. But just like any other trade the rates vary by locale and available competition. I also can afford to undercut my competition a bit because I have very little overhead since I work out of my garage.

The rogue antispware (scareware) infections really are brutal. They are basically the hardest ones to remove because they tend to hook deep into the registry and have mutating signatures to avoid detection. They can also be downloaded via malicious redirects in google searches, as I said before. However they do need to be clicked on and given administrator permission in order to do their nasty.. This is why you don't use the Administrator account as your daily driver. You always make a secondary account (it can be AN administrator-level account, just not the one named 'Administrator'), and (on Vista or 7) make sure you leave UAC (User Access Control) enabled so that programs have to ask for permission to install. That way even if it's clicked accidentally you still have a chance to intercept it.

I've also seen scareware disguise its initial startup dialogue (what it needs you to click to get it started) as an official looking Java update, a Windows update, and other programs that you might actually have on the computer and wouldn't think twice about clicking on. I've actually fallen for that one myself because the Java update popped up in the tray like it usually does, so I clicked it without even thinking - but MSE did catch it and lock it down once it started its action.

In your case it might've been possible to repair the windows installation, but it is much easier, cheaper for you (since it's flat rate not hourly) - and in most cases more worthwhile - to simply yank the User folders and anything else important off the drive, blow the drive away, and reinstall fresh. Windows gets very cluttered and laggy over time even without malware, so a fresh install always works better and faster.

And hedgeclippers, you meant well not suggesting he mount the drive externally to another computer, but for future reference there's nothing to worry about. Malware can only 'automatically' run on a boot/system drive - the drive that has the active Windows image on it. To get infected from any other drive (even a drive that has an infected Windows install), the infected files would need to be clicked and run (or in the case of a CD or thumb drive be part of an Autorun file, which is a pretty rare method of attack) in order to cause problems.

Like I said Mike, I wasnt ignoring you, I took a long weekend and just saw this.. For next time, look up Windows Defender Offline (which is free, but there are different versions for XP, Vista/7 32 bit, and Vista/7 64 bit), and try to get your hands on a set of MSDaRT (MicroSoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolkit) discs. I can't help you with the latter because mine are tied to my TechNet subscription, but I can tell you they're out there if you look in the right places. It's one of the lesser known gems of the computer repair industry.

Old 09-05-12, 01:39 AM
JerseyMatt I figured you were off for the holidays or something. I certainly will remember what you said about the drive and using it as an external drive to get the files off. Knowing me though I probably would run an anti-virus scan afterwards just to be on the safe side. I also will look for those disks you mentioned I bet they are really useful. Have a nice Day Matt!

Old 09-05-12, 10:13 AM

Old 09-05-12, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
So I got the computer back. It was $144 bucks with tax.

Well I need to reinstall some drivers.

I could tell you its a better install then I have done in the past. I guess they have better drivers or what not.

One thing is they put IE and Chrome on there. I don't use chrome and will put FF.

But IE has not been updated. It shows 129 updates needed. I wonder if I should turn the updates off and not download them.

Although I will have that X out shield in the lower right corner if I do.

Anyone?

Old 09-05-12, 10:25 PM
In my personal opinion I wouldn't turn any of the updates off as I think that would be asking for trouble. On my old Windows XP laptop most of the time I don't use IE at all but I still update it as there can be back door exploits if you don't. Also while your at it see if they installed Java and Adobe products like Adobe Reader, Shockwave and Flash player as those while not absolutely essential for everything make viewing things on the internet that much nicer. $144.00 isn't too bad a price though for what they did. As to Google Chrome browser being on there I used to use Chrome and got rid of it but do like its cousin though Comodo Dragon which is based on Chrome as it has some advanced features to protect you outside of an antivirus and it is a bit faster too than IE or Firefox. I don't use Dragon that much though I guess more out of habit than anything else and mainly use Firefox on my laptop.

Old 09-05-12, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
I don't use IE at all but I still update it as there can be back door exploits if you don't.

I usually turn off all the security settings in the security/privacy to high or off in IE. Hmmmm. Possibly I will load them, but again I will wait for the pro if he responds. Matt?

There are a few other things that they left that I am not sure what to do with.

K lite codec pack?
Tera copy?
CD burner XP?

Also while your at it see if they installed Java and Adobe products like Adobe Reader, Shockwave and Flash player as those while not absolutely essential for everything make viewing things on the internet that much nicer.
Adobe is there. Not sure of the others at the moment, but they are easy to download as I need them. I will wait until something says I need them basically.

Old 09-05-12, 11:08 PM
Mike I think you got really great service I looked up all of that software they put on and it is all freeware K Lite Codec Pack allows you to see DVDs on your computer here is the link to read more Free-Codecs.com : Download K-Lite Codec Pack 9.2.0 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 9.2.0 STANDARD, K-Lite Codec Pack 9.2.0 BASIC Tera Copy helps files move faster here is the link to that TeraCopy for Microsoft Windows - Code Sector and CD Burner XP allows you to burn CDs or DVDs including files I imagine here is the link to that CDBurnerXP: Free CD and DVD burning software . I didn't look too much into the programs as I am posting and doing other things at the same time at the moment. JerseyMatts PM box was full but might not be anymore as I did notify him it was full in another post. Anyway he was here earlier and probably will look in later. I personally think those programs are keepers myself especially if they work well for you. Have a nice night Mike!

Old 09-06-12, 12:08 PM
Yes I cleared out my inbox, thanks..

I can't believe they would give you back the computer without installing updates (those updates are for Windows in general, not just IE). If it's saying there's 129 pending (I believe about 30 of those are foreign language packs that can be disabled) then they didn't do the job completely. When I restore a computer it goes back to you completely updated. Also updates on a brand new install tend to happen in waves, because they get installed in a particular order, and some updates can't be installed until others have been installed and the computer has rebooted.

First off I take it we're talking XP, right? If so, then IE installs as part of Windows. No way to take it out because it's 'part' of Windows if you follow my drift. Just delete the icons and that's about all you can do.

Go through the update list and look for the update to IE7, 8 or 9. Right click on it and select 'Hide Update'. That will keep it from installing and it will also keep it from pestering you to install. Do the same thing for the language packs. Don't hide any other updates. They will be security patches, bug fixes, etc. Select them all and let them install. Even ones that are specific to IE, because as I said IE is 'part' of XP, so you still need to keep it patched for security even if you don't use it as a browser. You may also be prompted to accept a EULA for the 'Malicious Software Removal Tool'. Just hit accept. And again as I said, don't be surprised if you finish this batch of updates and you get prompted to update again. This usually happens 3-5 times on a fresh install (again, that's why I don't leave it to the customer, I make sure it's all done before I give it back).

As for K-lite, it's basically every codec you need to play just about any type of media on the planet. It prevents situations where someone sends you a file from say an off-brand digital camera or camcorder and your media player doesn't know how to read it. It's good to have.

The other two I've never used but I can't see any reason not to keep them. Especially Teracopy - I'm going to try that one myself.

Old 09-06-12, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Especially Teracopy - I'm going to try that one myself.
Seems to work great. I just moved a 4 gig picture folder in about 3 minutes. Normally I would start it and go to bed. It would be done by the morning....LOL

Yes 131 updates. Like I said I was going to set the security in IE to the max and not update anything. Since I dont use IE. But dummy me did not think and did the update. Took up more hard drive space and thats what they may have had in mind.

I only have 80 gig. only 1/2 free space.

I think the codec is for so the computer will function without them downloading specific drivers. I need to go to the dell site and update some things. I will check the bios and stuff like that.

Its XP.

Old 09-06-12, 12:45 PM
XP only takes up about 3 gigs.. Updates are a couple megs at the absolute largest. Service packs, which are THOUSANDS of cumulative updates rolled into one big update are only a couple hundred megs.

'Running low on space' isn't a valid excuse for not updating - not that 40gb free is running anywhere near low anyway. So if you're halfway through an 80 gig drive with your pics/music/video and you're concerned about running out, you need to consider adding a large drive for storage. You can get a 2TB for a hundred bucks.

Codecs are strictly for audio and video. They have nothing to do with drivers or updates. And again, the shop you brought it to should've made sure everything was updated for you. Might want to have a chat with the manager about a partial refund for a partial job.

Old 09-06-12, 03:34 PM
I Agree with JerseyMatt I think they should have done more updates myself. Having a few left over like maybe 12 or so would be acceptable and o.k. but not great now that I think about it it isn't as good a job as what really should have been done. I also agree about the external drive you could keep most of your core programs on the computer itself and then have the files on the external. Mike is that a PATA drive or an SATA on your computer. Kind of hard to find the larger hard drives now for internal use as PATA but easier for SATA. Too bad we both don't live closer to JerseyMatt.

Old 09-06-12, 04:02 PM
Lol, when I was in NJ I was only an hour away from Howell. I'd actually drive through there on Rt 9 when I visited my sister in Brick..

Another alternative to consider for storage - especially if this is a laptop - is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) unit like a WD MyBook. They are very simple to use, and they allow you to access your stored files from anywhere within your network (even remotely from the internet if you choose) without having to carry an external drive with you.. They can even serve up files to multiple computers (so you can access pics/video/music on any of your computers with only one stored copy) and do automated backups of all your computers. They're really cool.

Old 09-06-12, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
NAS (Network Attached Storage)
What I get I will plug right into the router, like my printer is.

Not sure what NAS is

Old 09-06-12, 08:13 PM
Jeez I even defined it for you!

It's otherwise known as a 'network hard drive' or 'personal cloud'. It's just a small box with one or more hard drives and a small "on chip computer" in it that connects to an ethernet port on your router. The computer acts as a server, which makes everything on the hard drives available over the network. You can even 'map' the shares as lettered drives to make them easier to access.

As I said, the WD MyBook is one example. There are others out there, or you can build your own out of an old machine.