laptop charger gets very hot and stoppes charging laptop after 30 mins

Old 09-01-12, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laptop charger gets very hot and stoppes charging laptop after 30 mins

hi well the title says it all my laptop charger started getting very hot today and once it gets too hot it shuts off usually after 20-30 minuts i use my laptop plugged in most of the day and it gets hot but not like burn your hand hot like today well need help fast!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-12, 06:54 AM
Pull the battery out and run the laptop on the power supply only. If it runs cooler, the battery/charge circuit is drawing too much power.

How old is the computer?

Old 09-02-12, 08:52 AM
not even a year old its windows 7

Old 09-02-12, 08:56 AM
i removed the battery and the charger definitaly cooled down a bit now what?

Old 09-02-12, 02:16 PM
If I were you I would check with the manufacturer of the laptop and see if the battery or even the charger has been recalled. In the mean time use the laptop sparingly and don't put the battery back in it might explode or cause a fire. This by the way unfortunately is not unusual and has happened to numerous manufacturers. Most of the time the manufacturers of the laptops don't make the batteries so they don't even know how the batteries are made.

Old 09-03-12, 05:16 AM
If it's less than a year old it could still be under warranty. (It would also help if you could provide make & model number.)

Before you noticed the problem, how long did the battery last before it had to be charged? A typical year-old machine should run around three hours on battery.

In the meantime, use the computer without the battery but keep an eye on the power supply and don't leave it on unattended.

You can also run it on battery power, but charge the battery only when the computer is shut down. (Don't try to run it and charge the battery at the same time.) Keep an eye on the power supply while the battery is charging. If it heats up you know it's the battery/charge circuit and not the computer.