can batteries be replaced in laptop battery cell?

Old 09-12-12, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can batteries be replaced in laptop battery cell?

I have a Compaq CQ61 and I am wondering if the battery pack can be rebuilt or if I have to just get a new one? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-12, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, they can be rebuilt. Usually cheaper then a new one from what I have read but it may void your warranty. A quick Google for rebuild computer battery gives many links. I haven't done it so I can't advise you.

Old 09-12-12, 05:17 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Yes, it CAN be done but not likely that YOU will be able to do it unless you have the specialized equipment to first open the plastic case, be able to obtain the replacement cells, be able to weld the cells together into a battery, stuff the cells back into the case and then weld the plastic case back together.

I am in the process of replacing six cells in a little battery-powered drill. No case for the cells but the job IS difficult and I am learning new words that cannot be used in public.

Old 09-12-12, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
Yes, they can be rebuilt. I think most use 18650 cells. If you try it make sure you get the cells that do not have battery protection circuit board on the cell since your pack probably has a separate board that performs the same function.

The most difficult part of the job is getting the old battery's plastic case open without destroying it. Most I've done have been welded or glued together so I used a thin razor saw to cut it open on or near the joint line. Then after the pack is rebuilt I use plastic 2 part epoxy to glue the case halves back together.

Battery technology is constantly advancing so it's nice when you first try your rebuilt pack and notice that is provides longer run time than the original battery even when new.

Old 09-12-12, 06:41 PM
It can be done and I am glad that it works well with Pilot Dane but I wouldn't do it in part because of what Pilot Dane said about the circuit boards in battery packs. For instance on Dell batteries most of them have a button you press to tell you whether your battery is fully charged or not at a glance. If you don't do it right the laptop will not charge the battery. I would rather buy a new battery that is after market and not made by the manufacturer than build my own. One good source among many is Batteries.com you can order a battery from them by using this link Batteries.com - Laptop Battery store Plus Camcorder - Camera - Cell Phone - SLA - Rechargeable Alkaline Batteries & Recycling

Old 09-13-12, 03:22 AM
thanks for the info. After reading I think it would be best if this time I didn't fix something myself and just bought a new one.