Stripped screw

Old 09-15-12, 10:35 AM
Stripped screw

Hi all --

Apologies if this is the wrong forum; although my question indirectly involves computers and peripherals, it felt like I might better find the answer here.

I have an Apple Thunderbolt monitor that has had a VESA mount mounted onto it for quite some time. My issue is that I want to remove the VESA mount but the middle screw is totally stripped.

As a result I'm unable to swap out the VESA mount for the factory stand.

Here's a photo:

Name:  IMG_0061.jpg
Views: 2378
Size:  11.4 KB

Does anyone here any have sort of tricks for this? I'm willing to damage the mount in order to remove it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-12, 11:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you had a dremel tool, you could cut a slot across the face of the screw and use a slotted screw driver to remove it. Barring that, you may be able to get an "easy out) screw extractor in the hole, depending on how deep the hole is.

Old 09-15-12, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Looks like a flush head screw...but a dremel with a cutoff wheel will still be able to cut a slot, esp since you don't care if the mount is damaged.

They make EZ out type removers that don't need to go that deep...they just have teeth sorta like a reverse drillbit that will bite in...but they can be hit or miss.

Old 09-15-12, 01:04 PM
From your question it does not sound like the head of the screw is damaged. If you are able to turn the screw with a screwdriver have a second person put some pressure between the the mount and the monitor and you turn the screw. The easy outs work for a screw that broken off and will do nothing for you if the screw is striped. It sounds as though what ever the screw is screwed into is stripped.
Good Luck

Old 09-15-12, 01:14 PM
I don't know where you get that from.. If the threads on the screw itself or the monitor were stripped, it would pull right out and he wouldn't be posting this problem. He's talking about the female hex head is stripped. EZ-Outs work for stripped heads too, because all it's doing is biting into a hole. It doesn't care if its a stripped out hex hole or a hole drilled into a broken shank.. But if you don't have a set already, you're cheaper off just cutting a slot.

Old 09-15-12, 01:35 PM
If that is a torx head, you may be able to put a #2 or #3 square drive in it and remove it. Just don't understand how a torx head could strip. Maybe it is phillips, and without drilling you won't be able to get an ez out in there. Slot time.

Old 09-15-12, 01:41 PM
Last I remember the Mac monitors come with female hex screws. Most likely whoever installed the mount crossthreaded that screw and tried to force it in anyway, which stripped the head.

Old 09-15-12, 01:52 PM
Roger that. Still may be able to insert an oversized torx or square into it, do you think??

Old 09-15-12, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I think it was a female hex screw and it's been stripped pretty badly; no other torx or square heads seemed to get any bite.

I don't have a dremel tool so I've ordered some easyouts -- will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-15-12, 04:04 PM
Just be careful with the easy outs.. If you don't go straight in with it and twist it slowly and evenly, you can snap it off in the hole - and that's a whole other problem if the piece gets stuck in there. Ask me how I know..

Old 09-15-12, 07:41 PM
Totally agree here. Take it slow the first time around. Same thing happened to me, and its funny once I had the practice nothing else has stripped ever since ( have a nice new set of easy outs! ).

Old 09-17-12, 07:55 PM
Still may be able to insert an oversized torx

Old 09-17-12, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew Ghezzi View Post
Totally agree here. Take it slow the first time around. Same thing happened to me, and its funny once I had the practice nothing else has stripped ever since ( have a nice new set of easy outs! ).
Yup, I did it on a bolt that broke off in the head of my bike engine. Drilled the hole in the bolt, put in the EZ-Out, turned it a liiiitle too hard, and SNAP! Wound up having to bring it to a machine shop, and they ended up having to burn it out with a laser. You can drill out a broken bolt, but you can't drill out an EZ-Out!

Old 10-07-12, 08:16 AM
Hi all -- just wanted to say that I finally got around to trying the EZ Out today and it worked like a charm. THANKS for all your help.

Old 10-07-12, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
Glad it worked. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.