Strange/annoying pop-ups in FF

Old 09-17-12, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Strange/annoying pop-ups in FF

This just started within the last few days. At first I was getting pop-ups in FF that opened with a blank window and the message bar that said FF had blocked it and click "Allow" to open. After it happened a few times I added the offending sites (there were more than one) to specifically blocked sites in the AdBlocker. Now I don't get the popup window, but what I do get is the pop-up window starts to open and then immediately closes. Takes about a second from start to finish. VERY annoying. So far have been unable to make it stop even after running all my usual cleaning programs and rechecking all settings/options: CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Superantispyware. Also checked installed programs list for anything hiding out.

If I don't find the solution I'm going to be forced to start using IE again to keep my sanity.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-12, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I don't use FF so I can't help you there but Chrome might be an alternative for you to IE in the meantime - I use IE in the office because some of our applications will only run on it but I use Chrome for the forums.

Old 09-17-12, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Or use Comodo Dragon a cousin to Chrome that has a few more bells and whistles and is free. I use Fire Fox but haven't had the same problems. Maybe you should un-install and then re-install a fresh copy of Fire Fox. If you want to try Dragon here is a link Dragon Internet Browser ? Comodo Dragon Web Browser. I think you will like either one but for Windows I think Dragon is a bit better in my opinion and very reliable too. They have a bit of information on the page to help you decide if this is for you. Best of all too it is free!

Old 09-17-12, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
In FF try a new profile. If that works move your bookmarks and passwords to the new profile and delete the bad profile.

Old 09-17-12, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check in your plugins/add-ins menu and make sure there's nothing there you don't recognize. It's not uncommon for pop-up generators to hide there.

Old 09-18-12, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks guys, I really just wanted to fix the FF and not explore other browsers (old dog, new tricks; you know).

I checked the plug-ins/add-ons and found nothing strange, then was going to try Ray's profile idea. Couldn't remember how to access the profiles so checked the help section where I ran across mention of a "Reset" of FF. Eureka! Learn something new every day; didn't know that was there and it appears to have done the trick.

Attached Images  
Old 09-18-12, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
As a bonus, pages are loading in about half the time they were before. So far, only thing I had to reinstall was the add-on for AdBlock.

Old 09-18-12, 07:38 PM
the_tow_guy I am glad you fixed Fire Fox. I understand how you feel about browsers while I have Comodo Dragon on my laptop I don't use it very often. I guess it is because I am used to Fire Fox too. I do hope you try it though at some time I think you will like it. There are some things I don't like about Comodo Dragon which is why I don't use it as often but then there are things I also don't care about Fire Fox too as it can be a bit on the slow side.