Faulty Keyboard

Old 09-23-12, 09:58 AM
Faulty Keyboard

I have a DELL Inspiron 6400 Laptop which I bought new about 7 years ago and the R letter on the keyboard does not function When I press it in the center like typing normally it does not type but if I press it on the right or top edge it works (sometimes)

Following the instructions I removed the keyboard but all the keys are part of one membrane and I donít want to go any further in case I damage the membrane

What are my options? Is the membrane easily removed and will I be able to fix it?

Should I order a new keyboard from Dell or try to get a used one?

Is a new keyboard expensive?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-12, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
You can get desktop keyboards for as little as $5 and as much as $120 depending what you want and attach it to your laptop via USB cable.

Old 09-23-12, 11:57 AM
Thanks Tolyn, a good alternative but not so practical for me

Old 09-23-12, 12:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Tolyn. As far as I know, ALL keyboards have the same connections on them. Its either a pin or a USB connection. So again, as far as I know, you can get most any keyboard & it will work. Depending on your OS, it may automatically search & download the correct software for that keyboard. Its just plug & play pretty much. Otherwise, you may have to go to the keyboards mfg website & get the software but, its a pretty simple fix for most people.

As Tolyn said, keyboards can be very inexpensive. I see them regularly for $10 or $15. If that's not practical, I see them at Goodwill by the stacks for $2 or $3 each around here.

The thing that's not practical is trying to repair your keyboard.

Hope this helps, Good luck

Old 09-23-12, 01:26 PM
The reason I have a Laptop is for portability; if I have to drag a keyboard along with it I might as well use my Desktop. I must either repair the keyboard or get a new one.

I contacted Dell and waiting to see the cost of a new keyboard. If too expensive I will try to get a used one

Old 09-23-12, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My apologies. I didn't read well enough apparently to notice its a laptop.

My suggestion in this situation is to replace the keyboard with a new one.

Again, Good luck

Old 09-23-12, 07:33 PM
I found the keyboard you need on buy.com for $7.99 here is the link Buy.com - New Laptop Keyboard for DELL Inspiron 1501 630M 640M 6400 9400. Amazon.com has it for a bit more here is the link for that http://www.amazon.com/Dell-laptop-Ke.../dp/B000PGHCG4. Either way you look at it though it might be cheaper if you go with either place than with Dell. Dell will sell it for a higher price because you are an individual and you only want one keyboard. Also like with everything else I am sure some of these are aftermarket keyboards and not made by Dell.
You can sometimes clean the keyboard membrane with window cleaner and then letting it completely dry and then putting it back together. If the keys are badly worn though you might as well get a new keyboard.
If you need instructions for removing the keyboard let me know and I will help you. It is very easy compared to other manufacturers.

Old 09-23-12, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Desktop keyboards you can run through a dishwasher cycle (no dry), and let it air dry, to clean them up. Since the keyboard is a bit of a loss anyway, maybe you could try that. After you remove it from the laptop of course.

Old 09-23-12, 10:13 PM
Hey hedgeclippers much appreciate your help, thatís a very good info, never thought to search the web for an aftermarket keyboard

Thanks for the help also but I already removed my keyboard to see if I can fix it, very easy job

Old 09-23-12, 10:33 PM
I kind of thought it would be easy I just wasn't sure. I have only had the keyboard out on my Dell Latitude D600 a couple of times once to change screens and another to do a tiny bit of cleaning very carefully. I bought a few used Dells one of which I use all of the time and I have another I use only on occasion. The rest are for parts or eventually to sell if I decide I want to. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the number of parts available for old Dells when I started looking around for the first time and many of them are quite affordable. So I certainly would keep that laptop if I was you as Dells are tough laptops and well built and also easier to service for most things. Eventually I probably will get another laptop but when I do it will be another Dell.

Old 09-24-12, 06:17 AM
You provided an excellent help hedgeclippers and I thank you for that. I also agree that Dell are excellent machines and have no intentions to replace my laptop. But now you gave me the source I might search for a larger hard disk. Mine at 1.4GB is kind of small but I will assume mirror my existing data to a new HD will not be an easy job

Old 09-24-12, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
I will assume mirror my existing data to a new HD will not be an easy job
It actually is not to tough.. Most hard drives will come software, or you can go to their web site and download software to mirror your existing drive. In your case you will need an external drive hookup, which will cost about $15.

Old 09-24-12, 11:21 AM
Good info Tolyn, thanks

I have seen those external HD hookups and will be handy to get one

Old 09-24-12, 02:10 PM
I agree you could easily upgrade to a bigger disk 500mb or more if you wanted to but I think 500mb would be o.k.. I also think you could easily upgrade to Windows 7 but you should check out Microsoft's Upgrade Adviser website for Windows 7 just to make sure here is a link Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows. You need to download Microsoft's software and it will tell you what upgrades it might need. I did that with my laptop and since mine is an older model I probably will not upgrade but instead keep it for as long as I can. Your system though I am sure would upgrade fine. If you can upgrade then I would invest in a portable hard drive so you can back up your files. Those portable hard drives don't cost all that much either. Drivers can be a problem with Windows 7 from XP but Dell should have newer drivers on their website so I would download those ahead of time and keep them on a CD-Rom. You can find drivers by using your service tag number found usually on the bottom of their laptops and just going to their technical support page. Look for drivers and downloads and when prompted put in your service tag number. Good luck to you!

Old 09-25-12, 11:58 AM
Darn it, both Buy.com and Amazon sub supplies for the Dell Keyboard do not ship to Canada and its very frustrating because besides the inconvenience it makes you feel like we are in North Korea or Iran

So I now search again for an alternate source

Old 09-25-12, 12:15 PM
Sorry you are having problems try e-bay they sometimes have dell parts and are not as picky about shipping. Good luck!

Old 10-08-12, 12:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Go to Dell website and inter the Tag number of your laptop (you can check it on the back of your laptop). And then it will so the products related to your laptop and you can select your requirement from there.

Old 10-08-12, 04:43 AM
That was my 1st thought but did you ever try to buy from Dell parts? Service is non existant for parts but to buy new machines the service is A1.

Anyway I bought a new keyboard from eBay $15.00 shipping included and all is fine now

Old 10-08-12, 02:54 PM
I am glad e-bay could help you Kolias. Could you tell me please if that came through your postal service as I had heard they were on strike and there were various issues with shipping to Canada using our postal service here. I have an e-bay account myself which is why I thought of them but haven't sold in a long while or even bought anything and part of it was that issue. Thank you for letting me know in advance!

Old 10-08-12, 03:08 PM
Actually the ebay guy was saying "Shipping from Canada, Quebec" which is my Province and the package was shipped from Montreal my hometown; got it in 3 days.

I dont know how this works but I'm sure Chinese ebay vendors saying "shipping from US or Canada" they are not from US or Canada. Probably they only have and address in US or Canada. I had to ask a question and the guy answered fast but his English was not good.

Now how he shipped my package from my hometown, that I dont know

Old 10-08-12, 03:27 PM
Not too surprised people from China pull all kinds of tricks not that the stuff isn't bad mind you but I don't care for the tricks. Troubling thing though is that most of the keyboards and other things are made in China.