cannot connect to SMTP server

Old 09-23-12, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
cannot connect to SMTP server

After wifey's last move in NM, she has not been able to send email. She can receive just fine. Well, have you ever tried to diagnose a problem from 1500 miles. Doesn't work. We are in Denver, now, and I am trying to get it to send email. Cannot do it. I have matched screen for screen all settings that are on my computer to hers. We use the same ISP, and I can send and receive just fine.

I gave up on Outlook, and installed Thunderbird. Same problem. Now, with the ISP (Windstream) page, she can send and receive just fine, but it is a PITA to use. I simply cannot figure out why the SMTP server cannot be contacted. It gives an error report of 10060, if that means anything to anyone.

She is on a Toshiba Satellite, plenty of ram/storage, etc. Running W7. I am running XP. I have defragged it, I have run Ccleaner, Avast AV scan.

Need some help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-12, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clarify something. You both use the same ISP yet you are 1500 miles apart. Is she connecting via the same ISP as you, not the email, I mean is her internet connection via the same ISP right now?

Lots of ISP now block access to their email servers from "outside" their network.

There may be a "ports" option that allows you to send mail. You'd have to check with your ISP.

Old 09-23-12, 05:44 PM
I have both computers with me at the present time in Denver, sitting next to each other and my computer is receiving and sending emails fine. Hers will not send email. Receives fine. Maybe the use of the term ISP was inappropriate. Maybe I should have said email server. How's that?

Edit: error message reads: "cannot connect to SMTP server 162.39.147.58. Connection error 10060"

Last edited by chandler; 09-23-12 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-23-12, 06:35 PM
I am by no means an expert on e-mail but it looks as though a port is being blocked by Windstream. I personally don't think that anything was wrong with Outlook or Thunderbird but also think you should continue to use Thunderbird once your wife is home. I did a bit of research to see if others had the same problem and that is why I came up with the port block here is a link to one page that I found on Microsoft's website I can receive, but not send, e-mail on my account, which worked fine - Microsoft Answers . Afraid it doesn't help much other than what I already told you. I will look some more for you though and see if I can find anything more helpful Larry.

Old 09-23-12, 07:09 PM
Here is a link to Windstreams help page for e-mail it is for hosted e-mail and is settings for Outlook Express which is the same setting more than likely https://windstream.custhelp.com/app/...9KWF82bA%3D%3D. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and pay particular attention to the Outgoing server which will be either 25 or 1025. Outside of your home area or an area Windstream accepts you probably need to change the outgoing server. Might be different with Windows 7 even if your computer is configured exactly the same. I know with Windows 7 for instance they were not going to include Outlook Express which Windows XP has installed by default. That is why I say she should use Thunderbird from now on there is more support for it. So you will have to do the settings manually in Thunderbird and afterwards hopefully it will work. If not another website suggested doing a system restore and that has fixed any problems I have had with Windows 7. Let me know if this works or not and if it doesn't I will look into other solutions. I have Thunderbird using Verizon Fios but have let Thunderbird set things up automatically. Verizon had an issue like with your ISP in some ways but I didn't start using Thunderbird until after that issue was resolved so I never had a problem like that.

Old 09-24-12, 05:30 AM
Good Morning! Hey, both links give me good insight as to what I need to do, I think. I will try changing the port to 1025 and see if that helps. Thanks so much for your research time. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes shortly.

Update: Contacted Windstream, and the lady told me when wifey moved to a different location, it was apparently not very secure, so there was crosstalk and Windstream's system translated it as an invasion, so they blacklisted her outbound account. She whitelisted it and we tried but no go. We tried resetting the TC/IP in CMD, but no go. Basically she said it was within the computer. So barring any earthshattering information, I will probably take it to a shop before she goes back to NM. Either that or go to the Apple store and get her an Ipad
All help is deeply appreciated.

Last edited by chandler; 09-24-12 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-24-12, 02:34 PM
You did say though she could use her browser though right Larry? I would advise her to continue to do so. It may also have something to do with the other provider blocking Windstream. Here is another idea you could buy one of those hot spot devices they work a bit differently. I know Verizon has one and so does AT&T but Netzero has the same service cheaper. I am just not sure how fast you could connect up with one for Netzero nor exactly how good it would be both where you are and in New Mexico. Did you try system restore too just wondering if you did before you go buying that as System Restore should bring everything back to where it was. About the only other thing I can think of now but I will check on more as time allows today.

Old 09-24-12, 02:59 PM
Hedge, yeah did a system restore. Earliest date available was 8/31 and she moved on 8/29, so go figure. She went ahead and got an IPad3 today to get away from the problems of the 7 year old computer. She can still use web mail on her regular computer, though, so unless I have an exorbitant amount of time to spend on it, it may stay as is it. However, you don't know how much I appreciate your help. I'll reciprocate any way I can.

Old 09-24-12, 07:21 PM
I wish I could offer solid advice on this one but I've never come across it before myself. It's just easier for me to use webmail because I've had other issues with POP mail that resulted in loss of what was stored locally... But poking around I have found that it could be a few things, but antivirus/firewall software seems to be a common culprit. Try disabling your AV first, and try it, then if that doesn't work try disabling the firewall as well.

Old 09-25-12, 06:05 AM
Thanks, Matt. I will do that and let you know what I find out.