Favorite Free Photo Editor

Old 09-30-12, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Favorite Free Photo Editor

Hi everyone I just started on a long journey so to speak in my past as I have been scanning and editing negatives of my family. I have used my software to turn those negatives into positive images and done some cropping and correcting color.
Most of my family has photo software I am fairly certain but I got to thinking well what if some don't have software and want to maybe do further touch ups I didn't get to as this is a big project and I have quite a few negatives to go through. So I was thinking since I am probably going to be sending disks out with the photos on them why not include some free or open source software. This is going to be a strictly budget job so after I buy the disks and send them out that is going to be all I will spend. So I don't want to buy something expensive as good as whatever software that is.
I have heard of a few open source or free programs out there but have only scratched the surface and would like some opinions before I download the software. What I would like to know is what is the name of the program you like and how long have you used it? What platforms does it come in? What do you like about it and what are things you dislike? Is it easy to use? What tips do you have as to its proper use since there will be no instruction book? Thank you for your help!
A note to the moderators I stuck this here because it relates to computer programs so I would like to please keep it here. However if one of you wants to copy this and stick it in photos also that is o.k. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-12, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
IrfanView is a very good free program for cropping, resizing, and color correction that is easy to learn and easy to use. IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide I have used it for about 10 years. It runs on all Windows platforms, not sure about MAC. I run it in Wine on Linux. Don't forget Gimp is not easy to learn IMHO but if you need to manipulate layers and do transparencies it is a good free program.

Old 09-30-12, 08:18 PM
Thank you Ray I think I did hear about Irfanview before but had forgotten about it. I also had heard about Gimp but really know nothing about it. You say Gimp is hard to use but is it manageable? I am not sure of everyone's skill level but I think they can work some fairly complex programs. Also I am not sure about compatibility as I haven't even thought about all of the people I want to send the pictures to so it will be good if it works on nearly all platforms. I can further investigate that though but really appreciate the suggestions as they will save me time.

Old 09-30-12, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Gimp is similar to PhotoShop. Maybe it's difficulty level is no greater then Photoshop. One problem I have had is that when regular users write tutorials they use the nickname for certain tools. Never giving you the real name. Then you spend half an hour trying to find it in Gimp then another half hour on Google trying to find it's real name. To give you a taste of learning Gimp read this Free Hand Select tool is a prank , right ? - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community or read this tutorial Gimp Tip : Isolate image from background

Old 10-01-12, 12:16 AM
I haven't had a chance to look over the links you gave me yet but Gimp looks like another challenge for me that I might like to try to master. By the way Ray off of the subject I know but I finally found a Linux I really like the best PCLinuxos Mini KDE. I am guessing that Gimp is in the repository and if so that would be easy for anyone to get for Linux.

Old 10-01-12, 06:34 AM
Group Moderator
PCLinuxos Mini KDE. I am guessing that Gimp is in the repository and if so that would be easy for anyone to get for Linux.
Yes, it is in the repository. It is a true Linux program with a port to Windows. If your talking Linux there is also Image Magic. An older program that believe it or not has no GUI. It is strictly command line. As to IrfanView if you have PCLOS it is in the repositories. If you don't have Wine installed it will be installed automatically as a dependency as far as I know.

Old 10-01-12, 03:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Picassa 3 from Google has some nice easy to use features and is free.

Old 10-01-12, 08:28 PM
Picassa 3 sounds interesting pcboss but I am wondering is that a program in the cloud? Some of my family are kind of old fashioned and only like to use programs that are on their hard drives. Worth mentioning at least as I will include a letter with the pictures. If it is not a program in the cloud then I may include it on a disk. Does Picassa 3 have touch up brushes? I will try to touch up some pictures but want to get this done fairly soon as I am doing this for a cousin who lost everything in a fire a few years ago and would like to have pictures of her mom who passed away. Still going to take at the very minimum though about three months or so. Maybe a little less or more time. Then I have other relatives I promised pictures to as well who will get their pictures later.

Old 10-02-12, 01:03 PM
Paint.NET for Photoshop like stuff without the full thing.

And for regular simple stuff, I use Windows Live Photo Gallery, which works really well.

Old 10-03-12, 04:11 PM
I will have to look into Paint.net I imagine this is strictly online but might work well for some of the family also Windows Live Photo Gallery looks good too. Currently I am using Microsoft Digital Image Standard after scanning and for scanning Photo Studio 6 which came with the scanner. Both of those programs are great too and I mention them so others can check into them.

Old 10-03-12, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
You might want to look at Pinta It is based on Paint.net but has ports to Linux and Mac that do not require .Net framework. I downloaded the Linux version last night and it looks promising.

Old 10-04-12, 07:58 AM
Paint.net isn't strictly online, it's just a program made in .NET.

Works very well for basic tasks.

Old 10-04-12, 02:30 PM
So far of the programs I have heard about I think that Ifanview,Pita, and Paint.net are the best with honorable mentions to everything else. At least so far and since this is a very long project and it will take a while I encourage as many comments as possible. Thanks to everyone so far who has contributed. I just might make mention of having heard about the programs here in the disk I will make.

Old 11-02-12, 09:13 PM
I thought I would encourage anyone else who might want to contribute a program they like to please post. I also didn't want this to go away just yet so it could be easily referenced.
Also besides needing a good photo editor I am looking for a free negative film aquiring tool it turns out that the scanners aquiring tool is not that good for 35mm. Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 11-02-12 at 09:40 PM.