Vista Boot Manager

Old 10-08-12, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista Boot Manager

When I boot my Vista Home laptop and after I type my password I have this “Windows Boot Manager” screen which asks to choose the operating system I want to boot.

A few months back I bought an external HD and I did what I did (which I forget now) to be able to boot to the laptop or external HD. Now I don’t use the external HD and I would like to get rid of this Windows Boot Manager Window but I don’t remember how

Can someone give me a hand on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-12, 03:20 PM
I found one article about boot configuration from Microsoft here it is Boot Configuration Data Editor Frequently Asked Questions . I am still looking for other articles since I don't have Vista and never did have Vista. This article from Wikipedia mentions Winload.exe here is that link Windows Vista startup process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Another article this time from e-how on repairing your installation here is that link How to Restore Vista Boot Manager | eHow.com. Apparently as cryptic as the description was in Wikipedia they were pointing to a repair of Windows. I myself am running Windows 7 and I have never had the issue you have but do know there were quite a few bugs in the system and Vista was really rushed out of the door before due consideration could be made as to its stability. So based on my research I think you should try the e-how solution as that is the least complicated way and the way that would be less likely to corrupt Windows. Be sure to back your files up though ahead of time or you may lose all of your files!

Old 10-08-12, 04:27 PM
Thanks hedgeclippers for the info but the only one I tried before (yesterday) was the link from eHow but did not work and actually had to use my Vista DVD to re install the boot sector because the command eHow provided erased my boot sector and I couldn’t boot. Not a bid deal, took me only a few minutes to get my system up and running again

I know what they say about Vista but for me this OS has been the best I ever had and I have it since about 2007. I guess it all depends on what machine we have and what we do with it.

Old 10-08-12, 06:19 PM
Well then you must have done a repair of windows. I know in a repair of Windows I did once and it would ask me what I wanted to boot from windows or windows. Turns out it repaired things but also installed another boot sector so I had windows and windows in a dual boot. You can do the same thing with Windows and Linux by the way that though can be removed but with care. I think when I had that same situation I just erased the hard drive and did a fresh install. Kind of drastic but it works every time.

Old 10-08-12, 10:05 PM
Thru the web I found another tip: Right click on computer / Select properties / then Advanced System Settings / then Startup and Recovery / select the Settings Button and then uncheck the “Time to display list of operating Systems”.

The above does not remove the Boot manager, it just makes it to show on the screen for a split of a second and then it boots straight to Vista. Not the best solution but for now acceptable to me.

If I want to get rid of the Boot Manager completely, then the other alternative will be as you say, to re install Vista.

Old 10-21-12, 03:28 PM
Boot Options in Vista

Click your start menu

Click RUN or start typing...

Type msconfig or msconfig.exe and hit ENTER

Click on the BOOT tab

Select the offending option and click the DELETE button below

NOTE: You must be logged in with Administrator access to use this utility, but it is built into 7, Vista, XP, 2000, etc., and etc.

Attached Images