Can I use an old laptop display as computer monitor?

Old 10-15-12, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I use an old laptop display as computer monitor?

I have an old Sony laptop with a beautiful display. The motherboard is dead. Can I somehow use the display as a monitor for a PC to show pictures or whatever?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-12, 01:49 PM
Not to my knowledge no you can't. Have you thought about looking for either another laptop of the same brand and model that works but has a dead screen on e-bay? Or perhaps buying another motherboard on e-bay? It is what I did with some Dell laptops and now I have three that work well.

Old 10-15-12, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
LCD monitors have gotten so inexpensive and have grown in size over the years that older ones, the size of an old laptop display are almost worthless. I'm currently using on I received for free and have a spare waiting for when that one dies. The owners upgraded to big wide screen monitors and gave them away after no luck trying to sell them.

Old 10-16-12, 04:27 AM
Yes you can, most easily as an analog VGA. You need to know the wiring for the three channels of video (red, green, and blue plus their associated grounds), power, and ground (DC zero volts).

My brother is using a naked screen on an overhead projector connected to a DVD player. Works like a champ. In your case you'd need to use the entire housing including the backlight and driver board.

Old 10-16-12, 03:10 PM
I never thought you could use an old laprop screen like that. I learn something new every day here. So then he would need the area where the keyboard is too Rick? Or just make a box to house just the essentials? If you have some pictures of that I think that would be helpful to mtjbb. I know I would be interested too! Perhaps you can give us a diagram as well? Thank you!

Old 10-17-12, 04:18 AM
I can't give you the pinouts because they're different for every screen.

Have a look at this:
How to Hack an LCD screen & overhead into a digital projector TVs & Projectors