MS Updates on Vista

Old 11-05-12, 11:26 AM
MS Updates on Vista

Is there a way to save the MS Updates which are installed on Vista with the MS Updates?

I manually downloaded the Service Packs 1$2 and now I saved them on a DVD for future use (each is approx.450MB). But how about the rest?

I have my settings on MS Update to "Notify but let me choose what to download" and I'm now close to 200 updates which I installed and seem no end LOL

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-12, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Maybe but I don't think it would be worth the hassle. Generally speaking, you want to let the OS download and install all updates.

Old 11-05-12, 12:00 PM
There are ways, as it's common for corporate networks to choose which updates to deploy, but it's complex and not generally set up for home use. In the IT world it's called SUS or WSUS.

Old 11-05-12, 12:23 PM
Thatís too bad because itís a lot of hustle to install Vista and all your programs but then the job is half finish! After you have to re install all the Updates which is probably more the 3GB and the whole process takes forever.

Hopefully one day MS will wake up and make it easier for us to install the Updates

Old 11-06-12, 07:14 AM
Microsoft Service Packs were the answer to that, but they seemingly don't like creating them as often as they used to. Service Packs are just assemblages of large numbers of patches all provided in one installer.

You might want to consider creating an image of your drive with a product like clonezilla after you've set it up the way you want. That will let you restore the image if you find a need to reinstall.

Old 11-06-12, 09:56 AM
Good idea T-W-X, from now on I do have an image of my drive which I store on an external Seagate HD and hopefully when the need arise I will be able to do a restore and all should be fine.

But will never know until I try it, lol