old windows dimension 4300 wont install operating system

Old 11-08-12, 03:13 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old windows dimension 4300 wont install operating system

hi guys im back with the old no longer windows xp cpu i got a new hard (old one i took appart and started clicking and the reader head scrached the disk) the new hard drive is 150GB and i tryed to install linux on it before but it never worked on any of my cpu's after i turned it on after putting in the new hard drive it said "primary hard disk drive 0 not found" strike f1 to retry boot so i put in the windows vista operating system cd but it forze i tried like 10 other pc linux and mac operating systems but they didnt work i dont know what else to do i just wanna use it to run a game server and i need help!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-12, 03:11 AM
H
You mean a Dell Dimension right? I don't believe Microsoft has ever made a computer. I heard something somewhere about tablets they were thinking of making but that is different from what you are talking about. As for Vista not working maybe the operating systems requirements were not met. As for Linux not working Linux doesn't always work on all computers real well. PCLinuxos will but you must make a proper ISO disk or you can never install Linux. Assuming you did properly make or have made for you a proper disk then maybe the disk drive cable is bad or not connected properly. Check that out and if it is good then maybe the motherboard is bad or the hard drive has something wrong with it. Also check your memory are the chips loose? If they are make sure you snap them in tighter, I bought a computer someone had made and the chips would fall out if you were not careful. I finally gave up on it after a bad storm that brought about a power surge and ruined the motherboard.

Old 11-09-12, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 73 Posts
I'm going to link your original thread to this and remind you that it wasn't your hard drive that went south to begin with.
A new hard drive will not solve the problem with your computer.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/co...ing-noise.html

Old 11-09-12, 06:42 AM
Z
you stated "primary hard disk drive 0 not found" which would lead me to believe that your computer hardware does not see the hard drive.. make sure the new hard drive is connected in the correct place on the ribbon cable and that the master/slave setting is configured accordingly.

Old 11-09-12, 05:31 PM
K
it says in the bios that there is a hard drive connected iv tried to do pclinuxos but it was a bad burn and it didnt work at all it just froze iv checked all the stuff and everything seems ok hard drive cant be bad because i just bought it if there is a link for pclinuxos that is confermed working it would be appreceated im at my witts end im just about ready to salvage parts from it but if there is any hope please tell me!!

Old 11-09-12, 06:53 PM
K
i dont know if this affects anything but iv been using a rewritable disk for the linux stuff

Old 11-09-12, 10:35 PM
H
Using a rewritable disk for that is a very bad idea the rewritable disks become corrupt very fast and they don't last long. They are o.k. for short term use and very small amounts of data but for an operating system never.
I really think though that this computer is gone it is toast and should either be replaced or the motherboard should be replaced. The new hard drive I am sure is fine but the motherboard isn't seeing the hard drive and probably never will again even with a computer repair person trying to fix it. If you need a low cost computer I suggest e-bay or Propertyroom.com.

Old 11-10-12, 08:21 AM
K
well i guess your right maybe i could adleast get like 50$ for the parts im thinking of building my own computer any good websites or kits???

Old 11-10-12, 08:30 AM
K
i remember when the cpu worked it got a virus that made it get slower and slower untill it died it said to replace hard drive and it said "parallel port operating out of normal stadards"when i ran tests. but right after it crashed it said"hard disk operating out of normal standards" so yea dont know if that helps anything???

Old 11-10-12, 11:33 AM
Z
have you updated the bios for the computer?

Old 11-10-12, 01:07 PM
H
If you want a computer kit keystart then I suggest Tigerdirect.com they have many nice kits or you can customize things and pick and choose. I have built two computers myself so if you want to ask my opinion of the kit before buying I will give you my honest opinion of it. The hard drive you bought for the old computer may or may not work as well with it and maybe require too many adapters to get it to work right and also be slower. Tigerdirect though has kits with everything you need including the hard drive.

Old 11-10-12, 03:52 PM
K
how do i update the bios

Old 11-11-12, 01:09 AM
H
Keystart you can update the bios without having hard drive access but I seriously doubt that will fix anything. I personally myself would abandon the computer as it doesn't seem to be operating correctly. Even say there was something wrong with the bios perhaps due to a bad update which happens you can still most of the time use the hard drive. I know because I have a Dell that didn't get a good update of its bios because of a bad download yet I can still access the hard drive while you can't. So I wish you luck if you still want to deal with the old computer but it isn't worth it.

Old 11-11-12, 01:37 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You don't need a hard drive to run a correctly burned Linux live CD. You do need adequate memory. 250 Mb is borderline. 500 Mb of RAM is better.

Old 11-23-12, 09:46 PM
S
Listen I can think of 2 tricks that might work for you.
1. If it is a WD HD, then try setting the jumper to PM. NOT SLAVE OR MASTER. SET TO PM If it has it. It might not. Its a failsafe boot protocol they used for a few years on old IDE drives. I have saved many drives data from loss this way.

2. Try using the 2nd IDE ribbon slot. You might have lost your primary controller.

This may mean you have to set Master/Slave to your CD rom drive and OS HD, but just make sure your HD is master spot on ribbon if your doing CS setup. Sometimes they dont read if its backwards.

If I think of anything else I will post.

Old 12-04-12, 06:52 AM
K
out with the old and in with the new i just got a thermaltake computer and put it all together and put a copy of windows vista on it and everything is working exept the internet it always says a cable isnt plugged into the local area connection when there is and it wont get internet

Old 12-04-12, 07:13 AM
T
Is the driver for the ethernet card installed? I'm not familiar with Vista but look in System Information - Hardware- Device Manager - Network Adapters

Old 12-04-12, 12:59 PM
K
i think my motherboad has one built in because it has the ethernet port but i dont know about a driver???

Old 12-04-12, 05:13 PM
H
keystart I did a quick internet search as I had never heard of Thermaltake making a motherboard. Are you sure of the name? Could it be ASUS? Asus I know has a drivers disk that you put in your CD-Rom drive so you would need all drivers from the disk loaded onto the hard drive. I mention Asus because I saw a bundle from Tigerdirect with a Thermaltake case along with the motherboard. If you have lost the drivers Asus has a download area where you can download the drivers.

Old 12-05-12, 10:54 AM
S
Can you ping your router? start menu - in the blank type CMD and you will have a command prompt open
Type this.
Ping 192.168.1.1
This will test the connection to your router in the house. If that is giving you a response, then contact your internet provider.

OR.

Try using a different ethernet cord?

Like was said below, it may not have installed it correctly. So go into the Device manager, and see if your network adapter is installed correctly. If its not it will have a small yellow symbol next to it. right click and troubleshoot.

Find out who made your motherboard, and go to the manufacturer website, and download yourself the UPDATED CHIPSET drivers. This should have an update if something in the driver is glitching out.

And btw. Thermaltake probably made your powersupply or case.

Not your board.