Jumping Web Pages

Old 11-20-12, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jumping Web Pages

Lately I have noticed web pages take a long time to settle down. They jump up and down until all elements are loaded. I don't know if it is my computer not being up to the task or all the flash being used these days. The machine I usually use still plays video and audio perfectly, it's just loading web pages that have a lot going on that load slow. I have run malware scans and nothing shows, also defraged. I notice this especially on this website. Go to click on a something and the page jumps and I get something I didn't want. Here's what I'm using, is it obsolete?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 2350
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1993 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 266.23 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.46 GB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-12, 07:41 PM
Toolmon I haven't had any problems with this website except for the occasional little hiccups when they have been working on the website. If for instance today you are having problems here I am not so it definitely is your computer. As for it being too old of a computer I wouldn't say that especially with what I see. Right now as I wright this I am using a Dell Latitude D600 and it is running Windows XP Professional Edition so it isn't that much different from your computer.
I know you said you used an anti-malware but have you used Super Anti Spyware? I ran that once when I was having problems and it found a trojan horse my other software had missed. Anyway here is a link to Super Anti Spyware SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!. They have a free version that works fine for me.
I would also run CHKDSK too if you haven't already as defraging the hard drive would not be enough. So if you don't have Super Anti Spyware and haven't used it then I would run that first and then do the CHKDSK. I think it is software related but it could also be a problem with the integrated video on the motherboard either a corrupted driver or the video portion of the motherboard is failing. The first thing to do though is eliminate the software problem if there is one and then look at other possibilities. After you run CHKDSK if you give me your service tag number on the side of your computer I can then point you to the correct drivers.

Old 11-20-12, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
There have been recent problems with the board. Apparently they are working on them.

Old 11-21-12, 12:04 AM
Yes there have been problems lately pjmax but I haven't seen the kinds of problems toolmon was referring too. I have seen a jumpy page on Amazon.com's website but not here. So far the only error I have seen has been an error 500 which is a server malfunction. It could be though that there have been jumping web pages. I am on fairly often but not all of the time or mostly all of the time. For more detailed information about the website I suggest you check with Sharp Advice as he is the head moderator and runs the website. So if your problems are still there toolmon please check with Sharp Advice just to rule out or in the website. Please do so as early as possible though as he checks his pms early and then will get back to you soon.

Old 11-21-12, 02:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have had this happen in the past. Page loads, you go to click on something, the page jumps and you link to something totally irrelevant. Really fun on Ebay Not sure what I did (or didn't do), but it went away as fast as it came. Could be running malware/av/cleaners would help.

Old 11-21-12, 04:26 AM
A lot of it is the result of dynamic sizing of containers for ads on the page. When the page first loads it reserves some space for ads, but when the ads actually load they are larger or smaller than the space. Then the page code takes over again and resizes the ads to the original space.

It then decides to replace those ads with more targeted "local" ads that have been designed to appeal to only me -- based on my web browsing history -- and the entire cycle repeats.

Old 11-21-12, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the replies. To be clear, my problem is not only with this website, it's any page that has a lot going on. Rick Johnson put his finger on it, it's the ads resizing themselves that take time to settle down. I'm switching over to Chrome from Firefox for a while, it seems a bit faster.

Old 11-21-12, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
With Adblock, I don't have ads, so that may be what has quelled the sea for me. You'll lose that with Chrome.

Old 11-21-12, 09:54 PM
If you really want a faster browser and that is the only problem I suggest Comodo Dragon. The same as Google Chrome but with built in safety measures added. You can get Comodo Dragon here Dragon Internet Browser ? Comodo Dragon Web Browser . I really like Dragon for those really slow to load web pages and knowing that it is made by an internet security company makes it great. It is completely free too.

Old 11-22-12, 03:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Running Firefox here and had a similar problem with excessive time to load due to ads loading. Went to Tools, Adds-ons, Extensions and disabled something called InfoAtoms. The excessive add loading stopped. For some reason I was getting more than the usual ads filling spaces that never had ads before. One place most noticed was on Craigslist. Suddenly I had banner ads across the top an bottom of every page. Never had an ad on Craigslist before. Remove this infoatoms thing and those banners disappeared.

Old 11-22-12, 05:02 AM
InfoAtoms huh? That must have come in on one of the suggested firefox "updates" that I blindly agreed to. I'll look into it. Meanwhile, I'll run with the Chrome for a while, I still have the resizing but it happens much faster and doesn't interfere with clicking on links. Hedgeclippers, I have been using the Comodo firewall for a long time, didn't know they had a browser, I'll check that out.

Old 11-23-12, 10:01 PM
1. Nevermind. You dont have a video expansion slot on that system.

2. Check your MB ram capacity. Trying to use a Page file/Virtual Memory is really going to be a red flag for me. It is using HARD DRIVE space to store your information instead of RAM. So Its going to read and load and download and save data only as fast as the hard drive (That I am sure is sharing page file usage with your OS BAAAAAAAD) can spin. Hope you dont like Itunes. LOL. This is your ram type. PC2100 (266-MHz) DDR SDRAM (non-ECC) Anything that fits those specs should do great.

I would actually check the ram first... since its going to be cheaper for you.