reinstall windows 7 on dell?

Old 11-22-12, 05:53 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
reinstall windows 7 on dell?

sisters computer slow, crashes, error messages come up so I want to reinstall windows for her. it is dell inspiron 560 with windows 7 64bit. It did not come with windows disks and she did not create image. dell site says some have hidden partition for reinstall windows. I hit f8 during boot and get to a recovery option. but when I hit that, i get windows is installing files (or something like that) and after 10min, nothing happened and I just had to shut down (hard shutdown) and reboot. so how can I install windows? do I have to purchase disks from dell for this?

Old 11-22-12, 06:09 PM
T
Have you run a virus scan?

Old 11-22-12, 07:16 PM
H
hammerash that is too bad that your sister didn't make recovery disks. I am fairly certain that you can still buy the disks from Dell or so I have heard anyway. Using your sisters service tag number on the side or bottom of the computer you can find a order place for the disks on their website. Or if you want I will look for you if you give me her service tag number. All the number will do is tell me about her computer and make it easier for me to search. I will then post the right link as soon as I find it providing of course that they will sell restore disks. Unfortunately many manufacturers are not doing that including Dell as far as restore disks being included with the computer. As to actually selling them maybe. If they don't sell the disks then you will have to buy a Windows 7 disk. Since this too is probably still under warranty you may be able to do a chat session with someone from Dell and they should be able to guide you as to how to fix the problem. So try the chat session first and then if you need more help I can help as I have had dealings with Dell on and off over the years. I never have owned new computers from them but they were still willing to help me even though the item was out of warranty. Good luck to you Happy Thanksgiving to you and your sister! Please post back if you have any questions.

Old 11-23-12, 11:59 AM
H
thanks. I already entered in service tag on their website and it is out of warranty. I didn't think they would do chat because of that, but I could try. I will try to find the discs. If need help I will write back. Thanks for your advice. It really is unfortunate that they don't supply the discs and most people don't understand the need to make recovery discs as soon as you get the computer.

Old 11-23-12, 12:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
As long as you have the license key, I would think you could get the OS discs from Microsoft for a nominal charge.

Old 11-23-12, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
If she's going to have to buy Windows 7 to reinstall, I'm going to suggest she might as well upgrade to Windows 8. It's a lot cheaper and I like it better than 7.
I upgraded with the download on one of my computers recently and it's very nice.

Old 11-23-12, 02:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know it for a fact but I've been told that any Win7 disk will work IF you have the license key # from her computer. If I ever have to completely redo my pc, I figured I'd borrow my son's Win7 disk along with my license key and try it.

Old 11-23-12, 03:19 PM
H
I think I found the page you need it is a generic page for ordering replacement disks from Dell and you probably will have to pay for the disks. In any event I would ask them to call you on the form to make sure you are getting everything including the Operating system and drivers. Here is the link Dell - Support. If this should fail you then Microsoft might give you a replacement disk for just the operating system and I do have a link for that but it is always better to go through the oem first. Anyway good luck to you if you need any further help let me know.

Old 11-23-12, 04:50 PM
T
A system recovery can take a lot longer than 10 min. I think you should try it again and let it run for an hour or so before giving up. The process may take even longer. If you can't restore or recover, there is a free linux based OS that will boot your computer and run from the CD drive or possibly a thumbdrive. The one I have used is called BartPE, there are probably others out there. It allows you to run diagnostics, repair utilities and (as I recall) virus/malware scans on a machine that will not boot or run in windows. I have brought a few left for dead machines back to life using this. I'm sure your recovery partition is still on your HD, usually partition D. I would hold off buying Win 7 disks (you paid for it already when you bought the machine) until you have exhausted other options.

Old 11-23-12, 06:10 PM

I have a question.....just bought a new laptop.....it's still in the box.

It's Windows 7.....I know it's outdated already....but the price was too good to pass....

I see now the importance of taking a copy of the operating system.

As per usual.....my new laptop is pre-loaded but has no disc.

Would appreciate a link or two as to how to proceed in order to cover my butt.

Old 11-23-12, 07:32 PM
H
No actually Windows 7 is still relatively new. It is just Microsoft that wants to bring out a new operating system. There should be instructions with the laptop as to how to make the recovery disk either on some piece of paper or on the laptops hard drive. My thinking is that you will either need a blank CD-R or a flash drive probably about 500mb or maybe a bit smaller.
toolmon you are right I am sure that the on board recovery will take a while. My laptops are all used with new hard drives so while I have Dells I have never used their recovery feature. It would be good though if hammerash did get the disks if the disks can't be made for some reason on his sisters computer.

Old 11-23-12, 07:55 PM
H
toolmon-yes virus scan done. she does run McAfee which came with computer for like 5 years. I was not actually doing recovery at the time-at least I don't think. the option said it was to view recovery options-not actually do the recovery. so for that,I would think 10 min was enough. agree for full recovery it would take longer-but whenever I have done that, it has given you something to acknowledge that it was doing recovery. this computer had nothing.

I actually went to dell site and it appears that you can get disks ONCE. they did not say there was charge. I had to fill out info with service tag and reason I wanted disks. I am waiting to hear back from them. My sister did find some disks but it was only drivers. the dell site I think said the disks they send out have everything on them, although drivers may not be up to date.

Old 11-24-12, 07:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Halton - there's nothing wrong with being on Windows 7. I have four PCs, three on 7 and the one I'm on right now is still going strong on XP.

Old 11-24-12, 10:31 AM

I was just being facetious......

Like anything you buys these days it's old and outdated in a week.

I'm on XP now so it will still be a step up for me and feel like 7 was just released....lol

Old 11-24-12, 11:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
I've been on Windows 7 since 2009 and I couldn't tell you if I'll ever move to 8. Windows seems to be on an every/other schedule - ME was bad, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, ....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: