Repeating auto-update notification

Old 11-17-12, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Turn off Microsoft updates for a spell and see if it goes away on it's own. If you're not using .Net Framework, remove it from the computer.

Old 11-17-12, 04:43 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Repeating auto-update notification

For the past 2 days, I've been getting the same notification, despite repeated
installs; within a minute or 2 after installing the update, the notification (exclamation point on yellow shield in tray) appears, wanting to download the same file again, which is:

Security Update for Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 Windows Server 2003 and Windows XPx86. Update 1 of 1.

I've done this about 20 times, but it always comes back, even after rebooting.

Ideas?

Old 11-17-12, 06:06 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You probably need to run Microsoft Fix It it automatically fixes problems with updates go to this website and download the program and run it here is the link How do I reset Windows Update components? . Unfortunately just removing .Net will not take care of the problem as some programs that run on Windows are dependent upon the .Net framework. Even if they were not you would still have an error in the update program. It most likely isn't a virus but rather an error that occurred during a bad Microsoft update. Perhaps there was static or noise in your connection during that update, it's rare but happens with high speed and more so over wifi.

Old 11-17-12, 07:08 PM

I've had the exact same issue for a year.....Net.Framework update re-appears after install.

Have tried every "solution" on the web including all the Microsoft Fix-it's.....etc. etc. etc.

At some point I just simply gave up.....the yellow shield was there all the time.

I repeated the words "Serenity Now" a few times.....not sure if it's even there anymore....

Old 11-17-12, 11:07 PM
H
That is very odd well Fix It works most of the time at least in my experience with Microsoft needing to sometimes fix things more so on their end than on yours. There are various reasons why an update might continue in an endless loop and one of which I already mentioned the bad download. The other people shutting their computers off before the update finishes, a really bad idea on a Windows machine and one of which I did once but will not do it again. When you do a quick shutdown before the update process is finished you can cause all kinds of errors to come up and one of which is the repeating update over and over again.
If Fix It doesn't work then you need to run CHKDSK or even defrag the hard drive. You could even implement a third party registry cleaner but I don't recommend that as it could cause even more problems especially in Windows 7 or Vista but also to some extent Windows XP. Having used all of those solutions have you consulted outside help? I will admit myself that for computer things I rarely do that and instead consult forums like the ones here. But sometimes there is a problem that is so annoying that only a professional really can fix the problem.

Old 11-18-12, 11:57 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Hi guys –

Maybe looking at some of the “Windows Logs” would shed a little light, in case you haven’t already done that.

McAfee was telling me every day that it wanted to do an update. Every day I said yes and every day McAfee said “Done Successfully”. Then the next day déjà vu all over again. I knew something was obviously wrong since no one should have an update every day. But I didn’t have much faith in that software anyway.

One day I was looking at some of the Windows Logs for another reason and lo and behold turns out everyday McAfee was experiencing an error on the update (left hand) but on the right hand it spit out the message “Done Successfully”.

I started to try to understand what the error was pointing to but then decided to throw out McAfee anyway.

Anyway, maybe a Windows log would give you a clue in case you want to pursue the problem.

Just a thought!

Old 11-18-12, 07:45 PM
R
Thanks all,
I tried to download the Microsoft repair program for Windows Updates Errors but a minute into install it said "Windows Powershell Failed to Install".....
I tried this on both IE & Chrome, with the same results.

I did the CHKDSK & it recovered some files....

I updated again from the yellow shield but it came back a minute later, as usual.

I do a Defrag about every month or 2, but I'll run it again after I get off here, since the problem popped up after the last defrag.

How do I view windows logs?

Old 11-18-12, 08:02 PM
R
Defrag had no effect. I'm open to further advice.

Old 11-18-12, 09:25 PM
R
Just noticed the exact same issue on my other computer, same KB#, same failure to install Windows Fix It, same CHKDSK process, defrag, to no avail.

Must be something in common here....both computers share the same router, home page, antivirus program, browsers....hmmm.

Old 11-18-12, 11:09 PM
H
What anti-virus are you using rstripe as some can be trouble makers at times. There are a couple I avoid completely and those are Mcafee and Norton anti-virus. Another I sometimes avoid and that is AVG. So if you have any of the above I suggest they be removed and replaced with something else. After doing that I would run CHKDSK again and then run Microsoft Fix it again. All of this without any antivirus being installed at least until you run Fix it and then I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials as that usually doesn't cause any problems. So download and save Security Essentials but don't run it and then once Fix it does its job it should be o.k.. Also install later Super Anti Spyware it can clean all kinds of junk off of your system. I will give you the links for both programs SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! , Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows . Both programs are free there is a paid version for Super Anti Spyware but you really don't need it as the free version is more than adequate. Anyway try taking your anti-virus off if it is any of the listed ones and then let me know if that works. It really should and should solve the problem. Good luck to you!

Old 11-19-12, 07:58 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I've noticed the past 3 days that my computer has updated & rebooted on its own. It does this from sleep so whatever I had going on at the time is lost. Very annoying and something I haven't encountered before on this Dell W7 machine.

Old 11-19-12, 09:22 AM
Z
hi rstripe-

How do I view windows logs?

From Control Panel you need to get down to Administrative Tools and then choose Computer Management

When you choose Computer Management you will see a console-tree on the left and if you drill down a little you can select many different logs.

In Vista the sequence is Control Panel-->System and Maintenance--> Administrative Tools-->Computer Management

I think the sequence in XP is close to the above but Performance and Maintenance instead of System and Maintenance

Old 11-19-12, 09:51 AM
Z
hi guy -
I've noticed the past 3 days that my computer has updated & rebooted on its own. It does this from sleep so whatever I had going on at the time is lost.

Maybe I’m wrong (I’m no Windows expert) but it just sounds like you have Windows Automatic Update set. The default I believe is Every Day at 3:00 am. So the computer will wake up from sleep at 3:00 am and do the Windows Update and then reboot.

(I stopped that auto crap. Got a nice little surprise one day, it did its auto update thing at 3:00 am, then tried to reboot and got hung up. I could no longer boot Windows. Fortunately I had the original Windows install disk and reinstalled.)

In Vista from Control Panel-->Security-->Windows Update-->Change Settings

You will then see a lot of different choices for when updates are done.

I think XP does it the following way, but I’m not sure. Anyway, the idea is to get down to Windows Update and then change the settings.

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
2. Click the Automatic Updates tab

Old 11-19-12, 12:08 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Again I haven't had any reboot/logoff problems in the year or so I've had this system. I wonder if I previously had it disabled but one day in a generous mood I allowed it to update manually and it reset itself to "On". Such self-serving Windows behavior wouldn't surprise me

Old 11-19-12, 04:48 PM
R
I did go in & uncheck auto. update, & checked for it to notify me when an update is avail.

I looked at Event Log & under "System" saw the manual updates I did the other day. Saw a lot of other warnings, errors, failed attempts to do one thing or another as well, but they didn't pertain to updates.

I've used BitDefender Antivirus for the past 3 or 4 years....several problems during that time, but they always manage to fix them after a few dozen emails back & forth.

Still searchin'

Thanks.

Old 11-19-12, 05:35 PM
H
I have never used Bit Defender but you might want to experiment and temporarily remove it or if not that ask the company that makes Bit Defender if there have been any Windows Update issues. If they are honest they will tell you and if not they will not. That being said most software vendors will tell you to temporarily turn your anti-virus software off in order to properly install their software.

Old 11-21-12, 06:37 PM
R
Turned off Bitdefender anti-virus, firewall & spam. Ran update. Came back as usual. Ran it again, too make sure. Came back again.

Old 11-21-12, 07:05 PM
Z
Hi rstripe –

I thought of something you could possibly try, but it may be a little risky. You could drop back to an earlier System Restore Point (maybe a much earlier point) and then start applying Windows Updates a batch at a time until you are fully up to date. If it is a bug in the Windows Update process (my bet), it may disappear just because you are applying different batches at a time. So as far as Windows Update is concerned, you are varying the starting points and the particular batch of updates per starting point. That could make a difference and the problem may not occur.

For various reasons I dropped back and did a fresh install from my original Vista installation disk and then let Windows Update try to do the enormous amount of updates it said had available. It got about halfway through and failed (not my fault). So I restarted trying to do the second remaining half and that also failed (not my fault again). Windows Update now keeps telling me one single update is available: SP1. So I let it update, it says it did SP1 successfully, but then it still tells me SP1 is available again. So it's stuck there on service pack 1!

But actually I don’t care (another story,LOL), but if I did care LOL I would probably do a fresh install again, but this time select smaller batches of updates from the update list, until all updates were done. (But I don’t feel like and am not interested in finding workarounds for the Windows bugs!LOL)

So if you do have some older restore points on your HD, maybe you could try some experimentation and pick some old restore point (if you have one) and come forward a small batch of updates at a time. The reason I say that it’s risky, is because once you start re-configuring your software, things that used to work may no longer work, and things that did not work may now begin to work, and new bugs may also be introduced into the system!

(You will find some people on this forum and elsewhere who disagree and say always take the updates, but I would respectfully disagree. In 30+ years of software development I can’t tell you how many times you actually go backwards. If you’re not familiar with the term Regression Testing you can Google it if you like. In fact for many mission critical systems Military/FEMA/etc. the system manager(s) many times refuse all but the most absolutely necessary updates. So IMHO if you are relatively happy with your system I wouldn’t accept any Windows Updates, new drivers, newer App versions, etc. But it is all subjective! I know – there are those that say you are crazy not to take “security fixes”, but that’s another story and I digress!! LOL)

Anyway just some thoughts!

Old 11-21-12, 11:29 PM
H
Actually Zoesdad that isn't a bad idea doing a system restore only rstripe might not have anything to restore to either because they had been used previously or erased because of needing disk space. In that case then you will have to do a repair of Windows I can help you out with that because I have done it once but only suggest it as a last resort as it takes almost as long to repair Windows as it does to install windows. Most of your programs will be fine but you should back anything up before doing a repair,especially documents and important pictures. You also must be prepared for a long line of Windows updates. So it can be done but I would wait at least until after Thanksgiving if you want to do that. If you need to do that I would need to know what version of Windows you are running as you don't say for certain. I can then guide you to the right Microsoft web page where you should read up on it and then if you have any further questions please ask me and I will try to help. It isn't real hard but it is a bit involved since it is a bit different than actually installing Windows fresh.

Old 11-24-12, 12:56 PM
R
Thank you hedgeclippers (I won't ask about that moniker) & zoesdad, for your thoughts & experiences...

Without looking up the detailed specs, I can tell you that my rather old Dell
Vostro 200 is not the swiftest horse in the race, & to attempt any in-depth procedures beyond what I've already tried, will probably take more time & risk that I'm willing to invest.

Let me ask this: When additional updates become avail., will they process correctly, leaving behind this particular update to forevermore be "available"?

That is, if say, next week, I update, & discover that updates other than the troublesome one are available, they will install correctly?

So, I can live with ignoring the update symbol as long as it doesn't prevent future updates from installing.

I understand that most of these updates are probably as useless as a saddle on a pig to my applications, but not knowing the particulars, I just follow the advice for the masses.

Old 11-24-12, 02:27 PM
H
That's o.k. ask away I adopted Hedgeclippers because I don't like hedges. Well as Larry Chandler said you can always turn that update off. In Windows XP run Windows Update through your browser and just click on Update Windows and then let it run through the necessary updates. Then look through the list and don't allow the update that is causing the problem. It could just be that particular update and it might not. Anyway Microsoft has a forum and while they are starting to wind down support for Windows XP there are employees of Microsoft that are still willing to help and others who have had the same issue. So they I am sure would know more and like here it is free to join and they also have a no spam policy. They have helped me in a few cases with some tough Windows issues. Here is a link to their forum Microsoft Forums

Old 11-24-12, 05:34 PM
Z
I understand that most of these updates are probably as useless as a saddle on a pig to my applications, but not knowing the particulars, I just follow the advice for the masses

I think you are a pretty wise man rstripe! Very well put.

And by the way Hedge gives us a lot of good advice as do some other folks on this forum!

Old 11-24-12, 10:48 PM
H
rstripe I did a little bit of digging into Microsoft's forum and just used their search feature. There is a response from a Microsoft MVP there who is a professional and he talks about repairs of the .Net Framework. Apparently there is a tool to remove corrupted versions of the .Net Framework updates and according to him you have to remove the .Net Frameworks updates individually and in order and then they should update o.k. . I really suggest though that those updates be done over a high speed connection directly wired. Here is a link to what I found Windows Updates keep repeating - Microsoft Community I am not suggesting this as a permanent fix as in the world of Windows nothing I have found is ever permanent but hopefully it would be a good patch. The problem with most Windows things is that many things are integrated into how certain components of Windows work and if some Microsoft thing isn't working then a program by the ABC123 company for example if they existed might not work the way it is supposed to work.

Old 11-28-12, 06:51 PM
R
Thanks Hedge, I feel your pain, I have the dreaded Red-Tipped Photenia shrubs all around my house, & I could throttle the original owner for planting them...

I will look over the Microft link you provided. I assume by "high-speed direct-wired" you mean DSL. I have the slowest tier AT&T DSL, which, coupled with an aging Celeron processor, means I can watch the grass grow while the computer ponders it's next move.

Other than taking a few seconds to load into the tray on start-up, the update does not appear to hinder normal operation. Nevertheless, when I get time I will study this link.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: