Blue screen of death

Old 11-24-12, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blue screen of death

I'm suddenly getting the blue screen of death about 3 minutes after boot up. I have not installed any new hardware or software for some time. I'm on XP Pro. The computer does run in safe mode.

Would anyone have any ideas that I could follow through on?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-12, 06:00 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: pops52

There should be or may be a message that appears in the blue window denoting the error message. Lettering should be or could be in large bold white lettering and display a code message. Bunch of letters (for lack of a better term or phase) and numbers, etc. If there is, you'll need to write them down and include them into your next reply. Doing so will help the pros in this forum topic better understand and reply back with specific details, etc.

Hate when that "Blue Screen" happens too!... Not often does it but important to provide lots of details and specifics in order to obtain the best possible advice and suggestions in the reply also.

Not to worry all that much. IMO.

Windows takes a "Licking" and keeps on "Ticking!".......

Link below might offer some advice:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/co...r-message.html

Old 11-24-12, 08:57 AM
The screen of death only displays for a second or two. Then tries to re-boot. Not enough time to wright anything down. I'll get my camera ready and try to catch the error message with it and report back.

Thanks!

Old 11-25-12, 06:55 AM
Many times the BSOD at boot is caused by a hardware failure of either ram or the video card.

The BIOS may have a diagnostic utility that can tell you what's wrong. Turn on the computer. Keep an eye on the screen for a quick instruction on how to get into "Setup" (BIOS). Usually it's F2, F12, Escape or Delete.

Old 11-25-12, 08:30 PM
You could also try entering the boot menu (should be F8) and there MIGHT be an option that should pause on any errors while booting? Someone could help me out with the exact name of the option, I dont have an XP system running to confirm... but it should be there if you need to get any info off of the BSOD.\

Another thing, check if you have 2 pieces of RAM or spare ram. If you do, try pulling one. Boot. BSOD? Put that one in and pull the other. Boot. If it still BSOD then its not the ram. Part of fixing computers is ruling out what IS NOT the issue. Hope this helps.

Old 11-26-12, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I would have to look for it but automatically rebooting on a blue screen is a setting you can turn off. It's in the control panel somewhere.

Old 11-26-12, 06:56 AM
Is windows loading before the crash? If it was a hardware issue, I don't think you would get as far as 3 min into boot up. At 3 min you usually have misc. software still loading and update checks going on. Have you tried a system restore to an earlier date? Could also be an iffy power supply that will run in safe mode since it is not overtaxed by the graphics.

Old 11-29-12, 02:57 AM
Thank all of you for some really good items to check. I need a little time to try these out but will report back as soon as I can.

Thanks once again.