Will Xfer of Lotus infect new computer?

Old 12-02-12, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Will Xfer of Lotus infect new computer?

I have a 6 yr old Dell with a hijacked browser (I get redirects), ready to scrap. I am the last living American using Lotus, but the files are valuable to me. Can I safely xfer just the Lotus files to a new laptop or am I in danger of infecting the new machine?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-12, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you can very safely transfer your files as long as you do a good anti-virus scan. I would download Super anti spyware from this address SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! . If you think downloading it will not work well with the Dell then just download it to another computer and run it on the Dell from a copy you make. I use this software and it is great it found a Trojan horse program and also has removed adware that my other programs could never find. They have a free version and paid versions, I have only used the free version myself and don't see the need to buy the paid version.
Put Super Anti Spyware on your other computer and once you copy the Lotus files then right click on the Lotus files and scan each copied file with Super Anti Spyware and you should be fine. But first make sure you scan the old Dell first. I am not sure what other things might be wrong with your Dell but after you run Super Anti Spyware you just might want to keep the Dell computer at least for back up purposes.
One other note to think about with Windows 8 you probably will need to download a compatibility pack as some older programs will not work well otherwise. Windows 7 is somewhat the same too with not as many limitations but I still suggest the compatibility pack which allows Windows 7 to run in Windows XP virtual mode. So just keeping infections away is just part of the story.

Old 12-03-12, 09:31 AM
Thanks Hedge

I ran Malwarebytes and it found some stuff, but did not correct the hijacked browser. I'll try your suggestions. It would be nice to save the old Dell, but I have learned the hard way not to spend money on old machines. If I can fix it myself, good. If not, into the dumper.

Old 12-03-12, 11:58 AM
I would take hedgeclippers advice about the Super Anti Spyware and after running that I would run this. Also, have you cleared browser history and cache and deleted cookies? If none of the above work, try uninstalling the browser and reinstalling a different browser. Don't give up so easily. Even if you do get a new machine, you might want to give this one to someone else.

Old 12-04-12, 04:14 PM
I ran the Superspyware and it found a couple of trojans that eluded Malwarebytes. It is running much better now. This machine has always had a quirk that the hard drives will go crazy (sounds like a coffer percolator at full orgasm, only faster) for several minutes at a time, even when the machine is idle.

Old 12-04-12, 04:56 PM
I thought Super Anti Spyware might pick up something that Malwarebytes might not find. I have Malwarebytes too but I was having a kind of sluggish system then I heard here about Super Anti Spyware and ran it. I am glad your old Dell is working better now and it will continue to do that if you run that at least once a week. Your welcome for the advice and I hope you pass it on to others so they know about Super Anti Spyware too. As for the hard drive sounding funny well there isn't much you can do about that but you can make it perform a bit better by running CHKDSK that is already on the computer. If you need instructions for that I can help. Have a nice day!