Win 7 to Win 8

Old 12-06-12, 05:43 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Win 7 to Win 8

Hello
I am about to install Win 8 in my Dell xps 8300 using the iso fie for $40.00.
I currently have Win 7 Home premium x 64.
I ran the advisor and was told I would not get, or lose;
1-secure boot
2-avisynyh
3-Win Live Essentials
4-DVD
5-ATI and ATI manager
My few questions were;
1-should I do a clean install or an upgrade
2-should I remove all partitions or, if not, which should I keep
3-can I, or shoud I, attempt to retrieve the apps/programs I lose by updating drivers
4-if this fails, can I use an Acronis image to retrieve my last Win 7 image as I will only use one license per one pc.
I wrote in this format so it would be easy to respond the same way, ie, 1.2.3 etc

Thank you very much for your help
Peter

Old 12-06-12, 06:43 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
1-should I do a clean install or an upgrade
Clean installs usually result in the fewest issues and easiest installs. But, you will have to re-install all your applications from scratch, back up and restore your personal files, and re-customize all your apps (put the toolbars in the right places, etc). In my opinion, the upgrade paths have gotten much better and more reliable, so if you have more than just a few apps on your computer, I would recommend an upgrade.
Also, if you just purchased the upgrade license, you probably have to upgrade. If you try a clean install, it will look for the old version which won't be there and you'll have to work with MS Licensing to get them to 'approve' your upgrade.

2-should I remove all partitions or, if not, which should I keep
If you do a clean install, you only have to remove/start over with the C: drive. All the others are presumably your apps and data. Typically, I wouldn't remove any of them.

3-can I, or shoud I, attempt to retrieve the apps/programs I lose by updating drivers
Yes, but I would assume the advisor is basing it's details on the fact that there aren't Windows 8 drivers available for what you have listed. You'd have to look up each manufacturer/model and find out. I don't know why the DVD wouldn't work. The ATI video and manager are based on whether ATI has a driver and software out for Win 8.

4-if this fails, can I use an Acronis image to retrieve my last Win 7 image as I will only use one license per one pc.
Dunno.

Old 12-06-12, 06:56 AM
P
Win 7 to Win 8

The upgrade vs. clean install -I have not done anything yet but was reading about $40. to get Win 8 and did not know the best way to do it.
I don't care aboutthe apps but it seems if i want a clean install, I have to deal with MS about a license. Correct? It is one license per 1 pc right? This is confusing me as it would seem if i chose clean MS would know iam leaving Win 7 and using Win 8.

Regarding partitons, my Dell has a 100MB system reserved one besides the C: one.

Acronis is the crutch I have always used -it is unnerving to thnk I may have no pc.

Anyway, I just wanted to reply and I thank you for your information. I have some thinking to do.
Peter

Old 12-06-12, 07:48 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
partitions and licensing

Regarding your partitions, you mention having a 100mb and then the main C: partition. That 100mb is probably a recovery partition and would be useless once you upgrade to Win 8 unless you ever wanted to return to Win 7. If you are going to go all the way, then trash that partion. If you are nervous about it, you could back it up with Acronis just in case thing blow up.

Regarding the licensing, if you purchase the upgrade license for Win 8, then I would think that MS is expecting the old Win 7 license to be destroyed/decommissioned. You are basically exchanging the Win 7 license with one for Win 8 so using that Win 7 license again elsewhere would be inappropriate.

- Peter

Old 12-06-12, 08:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I have to ask - why are you making this change in the first place?

Old 12-06-12, 09:47 AM
P
Hi Mitch
I guess you meant the os change -right?
There are a few reasons;
1-the price is right now. I bought a pc with substantial hardware so i could install the next os because I was tired of having to replace machines.
2-Everyone has bad thins to say about new but except for ME and Vista most were ok.
3-The metro/aero interface is interesting to me and something I would like to become familiar with.
4-being retired gives me time to keep my mind alert.

Are you thinking that 7 is better than 8? If so you may be right.

Old 12-06-12, 09:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
OK, I can see your thought process on this one. Personally, I see no reason to move from 7 to 8 but I can't fault your logic for the decision.

Old 12-06-12, 10:15 AM
P
win 7 to 8

Mitch
I forgot to mention, I totally agree that Win 7, like XP, is a great os from my point of view. I am not a pro but from what I have read, MS rushed to cram a smart phone in a pc and should have let Win 7 be the os for some time to come. Not eveyone is a California, sion valley, intuitive genius. Most of us are left scrambling around trying to find things on a blank screen.
I was even thinking at times of a Chrome book for $250.
I used to curgse Google and swear by MS but my son made the switch years ago and never looked back and he's a Phd.
MS is getting worse by the day. Friends of mine are scurrying around even looking into Ubuntu etc

Old 12-06-12, 11:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Can't recall the guy's name anymore but the CEO of SalesForce.com was asked about Windows 8 recently and his reply was that it was "irrelevant"; the shape of technology these days is changing and Linux is one of the reasons

Old 12-06-12, 02:42 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I thought I would put my two cents worth of advice in Peterr. So far as I can see you have been getting great advice. I agree with Mitch17 I can't see the logic of changing except as you say to see what it is like with Windows 8. Personally though I can't see Microsoft retiring Windows 7 any time soon as there are many businesses that have just changed over to Windows 7 and individuals too. I sort of fit into both categories as we run our business out of our house.
As to the Windows 7 license be sure to keep it handy as you might or might not like Windows 8 after you install it and use it for a while and might want to revert back. Also back up all of your files because if you don't then they might be gone for good or unusable. Some things like Microsoft office may have to be updated to a newer version as I hear this version of Windows will not allow older versions of Office to be installed. Other things I have heard about this that I don't like but that is a real sticking point for me and besides that I can't afford to make the change anyway.

Old 12-06-12, 03:07 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There won't be a lot of difference between 7 and 8. I took the deal on the $40 installation of Windows 8 pro to move up from XP. Even though I did a clean install, it kept all the old stuff in a folder named windows.old

I deleted that to recover the space.

I found drivers for everything that I use. I don't have a real involved system, just cruise the net and play games such as Skyrim. Mine is an old system built in 2007, but it seems to run better than it did with XP.

When you buy the Windows 8 download deal, you get a license number in your receipt to use for the installation. The installation is straightforward: launch the installer, answer a couple of questions, when it stops it is finished.

Generally, it runs under Windows 8 if it ran under Windows 7.

I think that it is an improvement over XP. Windows 7 looked like a good candidate at first, but I was unwilling to pay $100+ for it.

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: