How to tell if something is running in the backround

Old 12-06-12, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to tell if something is running in the backround

My laptop seems like it might have something running in the backround and slowing it down. I have done a full scan with the a/v, I have also done a full scan with anti malware, nothing has shown up. How can I check this? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-12, 04:10 PM
You want to bring up Task Manager. In XP press control+alt+delete. Not sure if that works on the later OS, I never tried it on my Win 7.

Old 12-06-12, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Same in Win7; click on the "services" tab for what's running in addition to actual programs.

Old 12-06-12, 06:39 PM
Ok, thanks. That pulls up all of it. I am running Win 7. Now how do I know what I really need and what I don't? If there are things I don't need, how do I delete them? If it helps, the problem seems to be present when running Firefox, I loaded Google Chrome and it works fine. Ok, let me hear it. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-06-12, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
I've been having an add-on issue with Firefox myself.

Old 12-07-12, 01:15 AM
For Firefox click on Tools then Options and click on Manage Add Ons where you can go down a list of Add ons like Extensions or Plug ins. You can disable each thing you think might be causing a problem until you find it. You can even uninstall certain things, I advise against going to coupon websites where they will install some software on your computer to get coupons so if you have something like that make sure you delete it.
As for anti virus and a malware remover I really recommend Super Anti Spyware it can find all kinds of junk and make your computer like new again you can get it here SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! . They have a free and paid version but the free version is all you need.

Old 12-07-12, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
I like to sort the task manager processes so the list can be a little static for a while since it tends to jump around a little. I start by looking at what's taking the most memory and then CPU and if nothing hops out, I start looking at the individual processes. If you don't know what one is, putting its name in Google usually will suffice.

Old 12-07-12, 02:21 PM
thanks, I will take a look at that and try spending some time sorting through it.