video chatting

Old 12-08-12, 12:41 PM
video chatting

I want to mount a camera and mic in a conference room, run both to my server and then use Google + Hangout to link up with other offices and real time video chat. Any ideas if it will work and if so what hardware will I need?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-12, 02:14 PM
I am not completely certain as I don't have any servers just computers but servers are not all that different. I would imagine in your conference room you might have a computer attached by ethernet cable to your server. So I would say a hi quality web cam that can move around the room with a remote control and then maybe a jumbo size tv set that would act like a monitor. Your computer would have to have an HDMI connection on the back to make it work. Maybe too since the pick up would be a fairly far away from the camera I would suggest another microphone attached to the computer that you could buy extension cable for so it would reach your meeting table with a mini stand of course so everyone could talk. You might or might not find a computer like that made by any of the major manufacturers and might have to have a custom build made. All of that should work though at least to my thinking. I am certain there are a few other things involved that I don't have the technical knowledge for but it is something you can start talking about with your IT guy. It probably will be expensive though so I hope your company has the budget for it.

Old 12-09-12, 05:54 AM
It works, but when you connect the conference room's audio system to it and turn up the speakers loud enough so everyone in your room can hear, the far end is hearing a mess of echoes and other noise. Their microphone is hearing their speakers too, and it's causing the same issues in your room. (That's why you're supposed to use Hangout, FaceTime, Skype and the others with ear buds or headphones.)

They make a fix for that, called AEC, or acoustic echo cancellation.

Another downside is the lack of multi-conferencing. I haven't looked seriously at Google Hangout, but the others don't do more than one connection at a time.

Old 12-09-12, 11:57 AM
Rick, thanks for the reply and good point about the echoing. Hadn't thought about that. There is no audio system in the room, figuring on the HDTV to provide the audio from the other participants but I would guess the echo potential is still there. But back to my question. What hardware do I need to get the camera signal and mic signal "in the cloud" and on its way? Do you know if Google+Hangout will provide all the software needed?

Thanks again for your response.

Old 12-11-12, 04:25 AM
A camera connected to the computer (with proper driver) and a mic plugged in to the audio input is all the hardware you need. Both ends need to run the same software. Skype is one of the best out there.

As I said, I haven't messed with Hangout.

Old 12-12-12, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback Rick.