Scanning

Old 12-14-12, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Scanning

With you guys' help, I got my H-P All-In-One network to print using my computer. I have another question for you. I can't scan any documents to my computer. When I try to scan anything, I get my printer to come up with, "No Computer Detected. To scan to your computer, the HP software must be installed on the computer and configured, and the printer must be set up properly on the network or connected with a USB cable. I'm afraid to do anything to the set up. I'm now using a new modem-router using an Ethernet cable connection. Should I go ahead and connect a USB cable also??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-12, 10:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Both the PC and printer are connected to the router with ethernet cable? If so, that should suffice for connections.

Old 12-14-12, 10:50 AM
D
Yes, you proably need

to connect a USB cable to scan or fax, at least that is how my HP Officejet worked. I could print from any computer, but only the USB-connected one could scan.

I hope this helps!

Old 12-14-12, 11:02 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Sounds like trying the USB cable is a good idea, I would not have thought that was needed.

Old 12-14-12, 12:11 PM
T
It's possible that a port (not a physical port, a TCP/IP port) necessary for the scanning function via network is blocked by the router, or that the printer requires a share set up on the computer for it to place the scanned files into.

It's probably easier for you to just go USB.

Old 12-14-12, 12:58 PM
Man, are you guys are great or what?? I hooked up a USB cable, and it worked!!!! Now for another question. What I'm trying to do is copy and load my expenses to a flash drive. Can I scan them to a folder onto my desktop? How would I go about it? Again, you guys are great!

Old 12-14-12, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
You should not have to use a usb connection.

I have mine hooked up to my router through the ethernet cable. When your other computers are added to the network they will see the printer and the printer will see them.

If you do not know how to network all the computers then just install the printer disk to each computer. ( Thats what I did to make it easier)

I print to the printer wireless from each computer.

You can scan to the computer you chose. It should scan to the my pictures folder in my documents. ( Thats where mine goes) Then from there put it where you want.

Old 12-14-12, 03:08 PM
H
Sure you can dinky. If I was you I would go to my documents in Windows XP and create a folder there or libraries in Windows 7 and then just create a short cut by either using file and scrolling down the list or right clicking and then scrolling down to create short cut. Then it should hopefully be a simple matter of just dragging and dropping your short cut onto the screen.
As for the usb port issue that you solved that is the only way my scanner will work and my old all in one. Some printers supposedly can print without any wires being attached but I have found that not to be the case with me anyway.

Old 12-15-12, 06:48 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Plug the USB in to the desktop and you should be able to scan directly to it. Point the scanner to the USB drive.

Old 12-15-12, 07:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I use a Lexmark 705 Pro and it is totally wireless to all computers. I do have to set each computer up via USB to the printer so it will initially recognize it, but from there, no connections. I do have a cat5 from my desktop, but it isn't turned on but rarely when I go down to the office to update or save business records to it and a zip drive.