IPad word processing

Old 12-18-12, 05:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
IPad word processing

OK, wifey is getting more proficient with her new Ipad, but cannot create anything like she could in Microsoft Office Suite. Is there something comparable in IPad language? I notice she can't even store documents on the thing. I don't want to download some application that is useless and costs me $3.99. Open for suggestions and direction. Thanks.

Old 12-18-12, 07:46 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Larry I don't have an Ipad although I think they are fine for those who like them. As you know though I like researching things so I have a couple of links here is the first one Top Apps for Word Processing on the iPad - The Mac Observer and here is the second one Word Processing Apps for Your iPad . None of these are free unfortunately except Google Docs which I believe is free and for saving documents there is Dropbox which I know is free. I actually heard about Dropbox while experimenting with Linux which has Dropbox already set up in a PCLinuxOS distribution. I have never used Dropbox but have heard some good things about it. So Dropbox at least solves some of your problems but read the first article very carefully as some apps will not work with Dropbox. Not a complete solution and the author of the first article gets a bit off topic and talks about designing web pages as that is part of his business but he seems to know what he is talking about concerning word processing apps. For anything too fancy though don't expect much out of the Ipad at least according to the first author of reviews not until another operating system is released by Apple. The first article was written May 2012 so it is fairly current. No date on the other article but it does mention some things the other article doesn't and some repeats. I wish your wife luck Larry and again Merry Christmas to you and your wife!

Old 12-19-12, 05:08 AM
Thank you Sir Richard. I wound up in a myriad of apps on the Ipad and truly didn't know which one was best. I would have probably spent $40 trying each of them out. Based on these articles, and having used Open Office before, I think Quickoffice will integrate with her Windows based computer better. Office2 will do almost all that Open will, but it only supports PowerPoint up to 2003.
I'm off to joust at windmills!! Thanks again. And a Merry Christmas to all yours!

Last edited by chandler; 12-19-12 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-19-12, 10:02 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I have no experience, but I think there are Apps that you can actually connect to your PC, and use the IPAD like its your desktop.If you Google "IPAD Remote Desktop" you should get some hits.

Old 12-19-12, 11:18 AM
I tried using the Ipad as a "drive" and it didn't work. I guess mixing windows and apple is like oil and water. I did set her up an account with Dropbox and downloaded Quickoffice Pro. It will fill the bill quite well. 2Gb of space is free on Dropbox so I doubt she will fill it with documents very soon, but it also gives her another back up, so that's a plus, since there is not a USB port on the IPad for a thumbdrive.

Old 12-19-12, 07:23 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Take a look at Google Drive. It's similar to Dropbox, but has web-based spreadsheet, docs, etc. on it so you can create and edit Office type documents on your computer or iPad/iPhone/Andrioid, etc.

I've been using it for personal use recently and it's been very easy to share and edit christmas gift lists and highly technical documents like that.

Old 12-20-12, 05:17 AM
I'll look into that. Thanks, Mike.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: