can't download updates

Old 12-22-12, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can't download updates

Hello. Here is my problem. I am sort of an amateur at doing this but I erased and reinstalled Windows XP on my other (older but usable computer just for junk stuff) I have done this before but have a problem now. I did it and then told it to reboot from hard drive. All is OK. I can even connect to internet. However my CD (it is MINE) is older so all the SPs and other updates need to be done! When I click on updates I get an error code (0X80244019) or similar. Keep in mind that when I say I can connect I can only click on explorer and it will download MSN home page but as soon as I start to type anything in the search bar I get 2 letters typed and then get an error report (the one where it asks to send or not send) and then explorer closes so I can't go to a website and download ANYTHING! This is my old computer so not a big loss as I am using my "good?" computer for this plea for help...LOL. Any suggestions? I know I didn't have this problem before.....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-12, 12:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 4 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no windows support for XP updates from Microsoft any longer. You will not be able to download your SP 2 or 3 from Microsoft. You will need to go to Ebay or some place & buy SP 3. You can buy new, sealed CD of SP 3 for around $10 - $15 shipped. The one I bought also comes with (updated) IE 9 which you will also need.

On the other hand if you know someone who already has these service packs on CD, you can just borrow them. There are no licence numbers etc, so you should be good that way as well.

Once you get your sp, you will be able to access the internet & download all your drivers for other hardware such as printer, etc that you have.

Hope this helps... good luck

Old 12-22-12, 01:44 PM
updates

Is that what it is? Anyway here is an update. I put the CD in and started over. When I go to explorer now I can actually "surf" without getting the send/don't send error. However I went to a site and tried to download something and I did get some kind of error that said it wouldn't download. All this is from not having SP3 and such?

Old 12-22-12, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
All this is from not having SP3 and such?
Definitely. The service packs upgrade your computer to work with your browser as well as you need to upgrade your browser too.

Old 12-22-12, 01:52 PM
updates

Also here is what I got. AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.60 GHz
1.50 GB Ram
74.5 GB hard drive
All I think is OK. Could this handle the new windows (whatever is out now) or would it even be worth it
By the way in the properties it said Windows XP Home Service Pack 2

Old 12-22-12, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 4 Posts
Yes, that's correct. The reason software wont down load is because your windows system is so far out of date, its not compatible.

Once your updated to SP 3 & IE 9, you will be able to download all your updates, antivirus', Malware software & other hardware drivers.

Old 12-22-12, 02:55 PM
Actually support is still there for Windows XP but only for a couple more years and then no more support. Here is a link to Microsofts Windows Lifecycle page Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows . So downloading updates will not be a problem for your computer as far as lifecycle is concerned. As for Internet Explorer as far as you can go with Internet Explorer on a Windows XP computer is Internet Explorer 8 not 9. IE 9 can only be put on a Vista or above computer not on a Windows XP computer. I suggest you run CHKDSK on your computer as there is obviously an error on your computer that is not allowing you to get updates. Also did you wipe your disk with a program like D-ban or did you just format the drive? There is a big difference as some viruses can persist and stick around as well as trojan horses even after a format. It is one of the reasons I always wipe a used hard drive that I buy off of e-bay just to be sure there are no problems. I wish you luck and a happy holiday! Please post back if you have any other questions.

Old 12-22-12, 03:16 PM
updates

actually being an amateur at that sort of thing I just stuck in the Windows CD and just went with the flow. I do remember I told it to overwrite the old copy as when I tried other options it kept telling me no for some reason or other. Also I can surf and download just fine (just not windows stuff. I stuck in the CDs for my drivers i.e mouse, soundmax, etc. and they went just fine. I do notice that loading pages is slow and when I scroll it isn't smooth it kind of scrolls in waves For all the confusion I should just go buy another tower or laptop but since this is a second computer I can experiment on it to "hone my skills" and not worry too much but I would like to figure it out

Old 12-22-12, 03:23 PM
updates another thing

Also upon reading on websites about the installation it was supposed to ask me something about the kind of file system (32 or 64 or something). It never did. it just kept going

Old 12-22-12, 05:57 PM
updates

I retried again as something didn't seem right the first 2 times. Long story short I was telling it to boot from CD but had CD in the other CD drive. Anyway this time it let me erase and make another partition and asked for NTSF or FAT and went ahead and loaded windows. (Not sure what I was doing before...just screwing up what I had I guess) Well it downloaded but having same problem with auto update - error number Ox80244019. Also as soon as I go to internet explorer I get the error send/don/t send report and it keeps freezing. Hope you all aren't getting frustrated with my posts.Maybe should just take and use for target practice:

Old 12-22-12, 07:09 PM
Whatever you do please don't use the disk again except to add Windows components or to do a complete reinstall. You are just adding unnecessary partitions which just takes up disk space. Instead you will need to run Windows Updater or Fixit and you can find links to both on the Microsoft forum here Windows Update fails -Error 0x80244019. - Microsoft Community . Please read the answers carefully and go to the directed pages highlighted in blue. When you go to those websites be sure to use the affected computer as you will need to download some software.

Old 12-22-12, 07:33 PM
Try turning off your firewall before going to the Microsoft site.

Old 12-23-12, 06:04 PM
I just reinstalled XP on this laptop last night AND had the same problem, it's a known issue.

Download, or obtain, the file called: WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe from Microsoft. It's an executable file. Run it and it will install the latest update software.

Via control panel, under Internet Options (I use Classic View), you can change the home page of IE. Get it off of MSN, maybe to Google or something else. There are scripts on the page that will crash the browser. I used IE6, from XP, to download the above file.

FYI, updates from Microsoft, including the Service Packs are available.

Good luck.

Old 12-23-12, 06:32 PM
Updates...I GOT IT!

Sitting here bored watching football so here goes. Will try to keep shortFirst of all I downloaded SP3 on THIS computer to a memory stick. When I plugged it in it immediately said there wasn't enough space. As I said before when I first tried the reinstall I just put in the CD and hit install. I knew that wasn't right because it didn't ask for partition or the other thing NTSF,FAT 32 (or whatever). I had the CD in the wrong drive (I have two) so it was trying to overwrite what I had and just messing up what I had. I did it again and had it in the right one and got the right prompts but I formatted a small segment which was too small for the O/S. Well I did it a third time and formatted a large enough partition I ERASED ALL BOTH TIMES! (I know now to use the whole darn thing) Anyway I got it installed and also loaded a few drivers from my motherboard disk. Guess what... I still got the windows update error code and IE also crashed. Anyway in goes the memory stick and bingo everything went and it even fixed IE (probably loaded a newer version). I immediately loaded Firefox anyway. When I clicked on updates bingo again all some 120 of them loaded. I still have a few small drivers to load but I am learning I think I had 2 problems...1. I didn't have a big enough partition to hold the O/S and 2. The version of Windows with IE I had was just too outdated to use. Thanks for all the input. Maybe I am ready for prime time now....LOL.Keep ya posted