best free anti malware programs?

Old 12-23-12, 07:26 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
best free anti malware programs?

Any views on best free anti malware programs?

so far new Spybot gave me nothing but runtime errors, McAfee let numerous virus thru...using Microsoft Security Essentials now.

Or am I just too cheap and need to pay for Kapersky?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-12, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
I use Malawarebytes. Seems to be pretty good.

It's online threat scanning seems to work pretty good too.

I think it's free for a certain amount of time.....like a demo.
I ended up buying the lifetime license.

Old 12-23-12, 08:16 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just to be sure your aware the simplest solution is don't use Windows as your operating system. Other operating systems Such as Mac, Linux, and BSD are not susceptible to malware because they don't contain a registry. Of the three alternates I listed two are free and one will do just about everything Windows will do and is about as easy to use.

Old 12-23-12, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 73 Posts
I use Malwarebytes, but mine is not a demo? I've never had to pay and I've been using it a long time.
I also use Spybot, have never had errors. Try re-installing it. May not have installed right.
I also use Microsoft's Security Essentials and Avast as my antivirus.

ALL FREE!

Old 12-23-12, 09:35 AM
W
MSE here. Love it. Set it and forget it type operation.

Shadeladie, I think you're using the part of Malwarebytes that allows you to check for malware, not the version that has on the fly protection. I'm pretty sure that's the one you have to pay for. I have the same thing you do. Great program, easy to use and updates regularly.

Pretty sure I wouldn't use Mcaffee (spelling?) at this point. Bad mojo with what the founder's being accused of. Now that's a weird story.

Old 12-23-12, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm setup like Shadeladie except for the Avast and adding SpywareBlaster and HijackThis (both run as needed kinda stuff) and haven't had any issues.

Old 12-23-12, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 38 Posts
SUPERantispyware also very good.

Old 12-24-12, 02:29 PM
H
Malwarebytes was o.k. but did let a trojan horse go undetected and Mcafee I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole it costs too much and I had all kinds of problems. Norton too real expensive and things didn't get caught. As for Kapersky I don't know I don't have any experience with that. My top Anti virus/Anti spyware programs are Microsoft Security Essentials,Avast,AVG, and as mentioned already Super Anti Spyware all of which are free and most will not cause a problem. However AVG free edition did give my Windows 7 desktop some problems it froze my mouse and keyboard and I had a terrible time removing it. I was finally able to get into safe mode and then able to remove AVG. This was a couple of years ago or so and I alerted Microsoft to the issue as they were recommending AVG for Windows 7 so I assume the issue has been resolved by now.

Old 12-26-12, 04:13 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 24 Posts
I have used Malwarebytes for maybe two or three years. Has worked well for me so far.

Old 12-27-12, 04:26 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
any good av with gaming mode. kaspersky internet security comes to mind..
personally i use avira antivir personal. and malwarebytes pro. then again i have a high midrange setup so i dont notice any performance hits. and no they dont affect my ping.

Kaspersky Lab UK :: Antivirus software
Avira Free Antivirus 2013 | Download Best Free Antivirus Software
Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download
Emsisoft Anti-Malware for best protection - Free removal of Viruses, Bots, Spyware, Keyloggers, Trojans and Rootkits

avira updates 1s a day as its the free version.
malwarebytes updates every 3 days or so. emsisoft updates when it needs to so that could be every hour or 1s a day when you choose the payed version but does have a gaming mode that suspends updating while you play.
btw no av should affect your ping unless you don't have it setup rite, or have not used a given option for game mode.
i have had my current setup 18 months and have had 0 infections (touch wood) while using these, and yes i have tried other scanners jut to see if something sneaked past...

i recommend you stay away from avast and avg free i tried both and was infected withing 3 days for avg and a week for avast.

Old 12-27-12, 08:22 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I've been using AVG free for several years and never had an infection of any kind. My personal feeling is that whether or not you get hit is more a matter of your Internet surfing procedures than it is the specific anti- software you use.

I have a friend that gets infected on a regular basis no matter what anti- software she uses, paid or free.

Old 12-27-12, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 73 Posts
I've been using Avast for years, and have yet to be infected. I also click on a lot of links here to make sure they're safe, and even doing that, I have yet to be infected.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion tho!

Old 12-27-12, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 38 Posts
AND not to use capital letters!!!

Old 12-28-12, 02:01 PM
Z
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
My personal feeling is that whether or not you get hit is more a matter of your Internet surfing procedures than it is the specific anti- software you use.

Sure. Iím sure the probability of infection is directly proportional to the number (n) of different sites visited. So if your universe consists of 2 (n=2) sites you are at a low risk.

Old 12-28-12, 02:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It also depends on the operating system you use. Only Windows has this problem but many people seem to prefer Windows so they are choosing the extra risk.

Old 12-28-12, 04:44 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I don't limit myself to just two or three Internet sites but probably visit at least a couple of dozen different sites each day, some days that may be as many as a hundred different sites. What I meant was that a person should NEVER open E-mail from an unknown source, NEVER click on links in advertising E-mail or any spam E-mail. Do NOT download every little toolbar and computer scanner that pops up in your Internet browsing. Be VERY wary of downloading any application or program except from sites you trust implicitly.

Even be wary of E-mails from people that you think you know. I had one the other day in my spam box that showed the AOL address of my former girlfriend. I hesitated for several minutes before opening it and of course it was NOT from her but was spam from some business obviously in China considering the broken English used in the text. There was a link to something which I wisely did not click on. I deleted this E-mail immediately.

Old 01-06-13, 12:48 AM
A
I use Unthreat Antivirus and I'm happy with the protection it gives. To avoid viruses, I recommend using common sense while surfing anyway, even if you have a great antivirus like I do.