Is my Router still good?

Old 12-23-12, 01:14 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is my Router still good?

Currently have WRT54GS2 Router for some reason this morning I have no internet connection on laptop (wireless), DVR (Wired), Roku (Wireless), Desktop (Wired). I have disconnected the power to the Router, no change. lights are on, as if the device is working but nothing. Took the Router out of the loop, and did Modem direct to Desktop and all is fine. Obviously it is the Router what I would like to know if there is a possibility that a setting was changed? I did check the Firmware and it is up to date. Just would not like to buy a new one while having a doubt that the old one may still work. Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 12-23-12, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Did you try your computer an another port? Can you ping any of your other devices.

Most routers you can access but entering 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.0 in the address bar of your browser. Default user is "admin" or left blank, and default password is "password" or left blank.
You can muck around there and see if anything is wrong.

Old 12-23-12, 03:01 PM
B
How do I try to ping other devices? What address would I use? I have logged in to the router its 192.168.1.1. From there after putting in the password not sure where to go.

Old 12-23-12, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
You unplugged your router. Then you tried direct from computer to modem. It worked.
Did you try reconnecting router again to the modem and using a wired port to your comp ?

In the router you should see a listing of devices connected to your router. The IP's will be listed there. Probably under Advanced configs.

Here's your manual in case you don't have it.

Linksys RB-WRT54GS2 | User Guide

Old 12-24-12, 08:55 AM
P
You could try to reset the router (button in the back) and see if it works.

Old 12-24-12, 02:11 PM
H
Most likely the router is still good. I have an Actiontec provided by Verizon and the only trouble I have ever had with one of my routers was the port going bad going to one of my computers. I had to reconfigure my wireless devices after that but then I haven't had any problems with the router itself. Verizon's network has gone down and when that happens it usually is a rare occurrence and it is back up again very shortly. During that time though if I want to print something I can still do that from my desktop computer using my laptop. I still keep a dial up service at least for now for emergencies but rarely use it as it is so slow. I think though most people will see their internet go down for a while especially on weekends and some holidays as after all they need to keep their equipment running for more demanding times. If the problem persists though and your ISP provided you with the router then I would contact them. If they didn't provide the router then maybe it is time to replace it but before you do contact your ISP and see if they are doing maintenance.

Old 12-25-12, 08:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
How do I try to ping other devices? What address would I use? I have logged in to the router its 192.168.1.1. From there after putting in the password not sure where to go.
You can find the IP address of each device in your router menu. Each manufactures menu is similar, but not exactly the same. In mine you go to advanced settings>LAN>DHCP client list. You should see all your connected devices, IP address, and MAC address.

To ping each device you open a command prompt by going
Start>all programs>Accessories>Command prompt then type "ping" and then the ip of the device you want to ping.

Although, this might not be worth the trouble since you have connectivity when bypassing your router. The test above will only tell you if the switch in the router is good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: