Having issues with Wi-Fi SMC SMCD3GN

Old 12-24-12, 10:38 PM
Having issues with Wi-Fi SMC SMCD3GN

Just out of the blue the WIFI started acting funny Pages won't load properly, I lose connection constantly and 1 Ipad can't see my WiFi network so is one of my laptop. I only managed to get one laptop to see my network but the connection is not steady and the web pages don't load properly or expired. On the other side the computer that's hooked up straight to the modem works like a charm. What could I do to get the wifi as stable as it was before? Most of my machines run Windows XP except for the Ipad

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-12, 11:10 PM
About the best thing is to move the router. It is very possible that depending on where you live your devices are in competition with your next door neighbors. They of course are not using the same router but their router is putting out a signal that may be on the same channel. If houses are too close together then there is not much you can do about that.
Also if you have many wifi devices on at the same time in your house then they are also in competition with each other so make sure you turn on only one device that will use the router at a time if at all possible. Some cordless phones I have heard can also cause interference.

Old 12-25-12, 08:25 AM
Could I change the channel of my router?

Old 12-25-12, 06:28 PM
Yes you can change the channel. Each Router is different though so I can't give you instructions for it but I did find a page with two manuals and I suggest the manual with the latest date unless you are sure that is wrong. I see this is listed as a cable modem so your cable company might have locked you out of accessing it. If that is the case you can reset the modem and change the password to something you like. The cable company will probably never know and indeed they may have a back door they can use to access the router so they can check the status of the router like for instance how long you were online. So passwords really mean nothing to your ISP. The manual will have full instructions on how to reset the modem as well as how to change the channel. You will probably have to experiment a bit until you hit on the right channel. You anti virus may even say you are now on another network accept this network or decline or words to that effect and you would then say accept. Here is a link to the manuals SMC Networks - SUPPORT EN_USA . I will be glad to help if I can if you have more questions. I haven't done all that much with my router but I will try and if I can't help you refer you to someone who I think can help you.