SSD for OS only, please

Old 12-26-12, 09:38 PM
SSD for OS only, please

We've got my wife's main computer repaired now, and we'd like to do something about an ongoing operational glitch it has.

She installed a 110M (we think) SSD as her boot, or C:, drive. A lot of programs want to write there and it overflows and shuts the system down. She's installed workarounds but would like to just solve it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-12, 11:10 PM
I'm certainly no computer whiz but maybe I can offer something. When you write a 110M drive do you mean a 110 gigabyte drive? Certainly you don't mean a 110 megabyte drive. I have a 68 gigabyte drive on this computer and it is only using 21 GB of space.

At any rate, whenever I load programs I get a choice of where the program is installed. Assuming you have a second drive, simply change the install path of the new program to a different drive and you should be good.

Old 12-27-12, 03:15 AM
I agree with Furd Nashkat1 just change the path you are using. Most likely your first SSD is marked C:, then D: and so on. To find out for sure go into control panel and then look for device manager and hopefully you will see everything labeled. You could also look in file manager too and probably find all of your devices there too. I found a real easy to follow guide from How To Geek here Change the Default Save Folder for Windows 7 Libraries to Something Else (Like Your Dropbox) - How-To Geek. In case you are not certain about your disk size on your wifes computer I found a nice tutorial on you tube here is the link to that Checking Your Hard Disk Space Using Windows 7 - YouTube . If you are dealing with a great deal of files then you really need a hard drive that can handle terabytes of data. On my desktop office computer I have a 1tb hard drive installed. From what you told me in your last post I imagine your wife does graphic design or perhaps she is an architect so you need plenty of space for those kinds of files. I hope I was helpful to you if you have any further questions I will be glad to help. Have a nice day and a happy New Year!

Old 12-27-12, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
110 MB would be way too small. 110 GB should be more than sufficient - I'm in the process of putting together a build and I'm looking at a 64 GB SSD for the OS and programs.

Old 12-27-12, 03:03 PM
When you write a 110M drive do you mean a 110 gigabyte drive?
Yes. I misspoke. The drive has 110G available after the system takes some for its own use.

whenever I load programs I get a choice of where the program is installed. Assuming you have a second drive, simply change the install path of the new program to a different drive and you should be good.
That's been done - again, I'm told, but I'll take it as given. "The problem is that not all of them let you do that." - DW

Old 12-28-12, 05:05 AM
Is this Windows or Mac? (The "OS" in the title could mean a Mac operating system.)

It's not the install folders that cause the problem. It's the working directories. Any temp folders, working directories, and scratch discs should reside on the mechanical (D?) drive. All data files -- pix, music, docs, etc. -- should reside on D.

The virtual memory (page file) may or may not work better if it is moved off C and onto D.

Old 12-28-12, 01:39 PM
Any temp folders, working directories, and scratch discs should reside on the mechanical (D?) drive. All data files -- pix, music, docs, etc. -- should reside on D.
Rick why is that true? Wouldn't we want data to reside on the SSD because of its fast access time? In other words, in general if we had a system with multiple drives, a combo of HD and SSD, wouldn't we want a configuration in which code (accessed less often) is on the slower-access drives whereas data (accessed more often) is on the faster-access drives?

Old 12-30-12, 05:38 AM
Everything I've read says SSDs can read faster, but writing can be an issue.

Old 12-30-12, 11:56 AM
...but writing can be an issue...

Good point. I think I came across that also.

Old 12-30-12, 07:38 PM
I think I might have heard something about writing issues too. That and they are still a bit expensive for the home office especially for anything of a more than decent size. I still don't see why you can't save to a different drive though. I personally wouldn't want an SSD drive in my computer at least not until they are improved more and are cheaper. I think they are good in principal but still have many problems.

Old 12-31-12, 07:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
FYI, you can change the default Program Files location (by default it's c:\Program Files)

Change Default Installation Directory In Windows 7 For SSD - Overclockers Forums

Many installers will allow you to change from the default, but some don't.
I believe I read that this will work for Vista/Win 7, but has issues with XP.

Old 12-31-12, 08:05 AM
Group Moderator
I just placed the order for my new build this morning and it included a 128 GB SSD for the OS and program files for $110.

Old 12-31-12, 11:11 PM
Is this Windows or Mac?
Windows 7.

t's the working directories. Any temp folders, working directories, and scratch discs should reside on the mechanical (D?) drive. All data files -- pix, music, docs, etc. -- should reside on D.

The virtual memory (page file) may or may not work better if it is moved off C and onto D.
Of course. How does one make that happen?

Old 01-01-13, 07:00 AM
Working directories and scratch discs are changed from within the programs. Many programs use the Window temp or tmp folders, which can also be changed:
Change location of TEMP files folder to another drive - Microsoft Community

Browser download and temp folders should also be changed.

Data files can simply be saved to the other drive. I create a folder called "Data" with subfolders for pix, music, etc. Having them in one place also makes it easy to drag 'n' drop a backup to one of my USB external drives.

To move the Page File:
windows 7 - How can I move the page file to another physical disk location? - Super User

For the record, all of the systems at Disney's theme parks have been running from SSD drives for years. I believe they were among the first to implement them in place of mechanical drives for their reliability and speed.

Old 01-01-13, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
For the record, all of the systems at Disney's theme parks have been running from SSD drives for years. I believe they were among the first to implement them in place of mechanical drives for their reliability and speed.
One of our larger customers decided their system was too slow and bought new servers with SSDs. Some of the big processing jobs dropped to 1/8 the time they used to take. Yes, it was all new servers as well as new drives but that sold me on the SSD once the price became something resembling reasonable.