Intermixing memory modules

Old 12-27-12, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intermixing memory modules

Hi Guys,

I have a refurb going on an ASROCK A770DE+ motherboard.
My question has to do with the memory modules I have/want to install.
I currently have 3 (@ 2Gb) modules of OCZ PC2-6400 and a single 2Gb module of SuperTalent PC2-6400.

What is the rule of thumb on intermixing modules?
The OCZ is 5-4-4 @ 2.1v while the SuperTalent is 5-5-5 @ 2.1v.
Are they compatible? Will they work well together or will I see a marked drop in performance?

I did try to install the SuperTalent but got no response from the motherboard.
I assumed that I had a bad module but given that maybe there is more going on than I am aware of, I thought I would run it by you guys.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-12, 11:20 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I blew a hard drive once with mismatched memory. I wouldn't take the chance unless you hear it straight from the motherboard manufacturer.

Old 12-27-12, 01:40 PM
You can mix different brands but don't mix different types as Pulpo said it is bad for a hard drive and bad for the motherboard too. I definitely agree got to the manufacturers website and see what they say about memory. I do have sort of a short cut for you though from a place that sells and makes their own memory here is a link to them DataMemorySystems.com - Computer Memory Upgrades, PC Memory, Apple Memory, Server Memory, Flash Memory, Hard Drives and More . I am by no means suggesting that you buy there but giving you this web address as they have a great online tool for looking up the proper memory. I will say this though they have great prices and their memory is guaranteed for life. You could possibly though find a better price somewhere else as I have at times and have bought elsewhere. For advice on proper memory they are a great place to at least look and they do have online chat or phone support during business hours. They have a few other things besides memory but memory is their main business. Good luck to you!