H-P 8500A All-In-One Problem

Old 01-04-13, 08:04 AM
Angry H-P 8500A All-In-One Problem

Once again I'm calling out for help. My printer is a HP 8500A Officejet Pro. I'm getting all pics that's red color that's missing. I've changed out all my cartridges (Yellow, Magenta, & cyan). I've done printhead cleanings several times. When I did all the cleanings, it would print out sheets showing that the reds and yellows are very faint. The blacks, blues, and greens are printing okay. Yesterday I called the company that I buy my cartrdges from, and the lady I talked to said to take the cartridges out and place them on a wet paper towel for about a half hour. I did and everyone of the colors came out. I just can't figure it out, so I thought I'd give you guys a stab at it. And, by the way, you guys are great!!!
dinky

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-13, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Yesterday I called the company that I buy my cartrdges from,
You don't say whether they're HP cartridges or generic.
All I can say is, if they're generic, you sometimes get what you pay for.
Not being smart, talking from experience.

Old 01-04-13, 09:52 AM
Dinky, I don't know if this will work for you, but your problem sounds like the one I was having with my HP PSC 2410 all-in-one printer. I ended up cleaning the contacts on the printer, where the print cartridges contacts make contact to the actual printer contacts. There was quite a lot dried ink in and around those areas. I used Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) with a lot of Q-tips and sheets of paper towels to clean the contacts and the area as best I could. The cleaning is a bit messy and I should have worn a surgical type glove to keep the ink off of my hands. I cleaned my printer a few months ago and it's been printing great. If you haven't tried this just and thinking of doing it just remember to disconnect the printer's power cord, good luck.

Old 01-04-13, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
and the lady I talked to said to take the cartridges out and place them on a wet paper towel for about a half hour.
and if that doesn't work you stack up the cartridges in a neat pile and say a prayer over them.

Just kidding

These HP printers can be so finicky. I hate to say it but you may need to replace the print head. You may also have an ink supply tube issue. Check out the link for detailed info.

Troubleshooting Print Quality Issues HP Officejet Pro 8500A e-All-in-One Printer - A910a | HP® Support

Old 01-04-13, 01:17 PM
dinky I agree with all of the advice you have been given especially shadeladies as you truly get what you pay for. If the printer is real old then I would say go ahead and buy generics as they will save you money. However if it is fairly new and even if it is no longer under warranty I wouldn't buy a generic cartridge as you usually don't get the same performance out of them as you do with a genuine cartridge. Genuine cartridges print better and last longer. Some companies though that make printers have a recycling program and will sell you discounted genuine cartridges for less in return for the returned cartridges. You might want to check with HP and see if they offer a program like that.

Old 01-04-13, 05:23 PM
Hiya Guys, Thanks for all the results. I went to Office Depot, where I bought it, and the manager said that it's probably the print heads. He also said that I should call HP and see what they can do. I bought it on February 21st of last year. I did also get the extended warranty on it, so it should be covered either way. Thanks again for the input. You guys are the greatest!!

Dinky