IBM Thinkpad laptop freezes up

Old 01-13-13, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
IBM Thinkpad laptop freezes up

old laptop, 2006 or so. running windows XP and freezes up after login. even trying to close the startup apps, just freezes. seems like whenever moving the mouseball after 6 seconds it freezes. hardrive is nearly full, battery has 0 charge, needs to be plugged in. any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-13, 06:12 PM
I have an old IBM Thinkpad too that has Windows XP on it and the memory is at its maximum. At One time I thought about giving it to my aunt but it was so slow that I later on gave her another laptop that was a bit faster. So there really isn't much you can do with them as they are just too old.

A Thinkpad is really better suited to Windows 98 or even Linux. If all you are going to use the laptop for is the internet and maybe an older printer or the few that are new that are somewhat supported then Linux would probably work good for you. Think it over and if you think you want to switch to Linux then I will give you a link to a good distribution and give you basic advice to get you started. Beyond the basics though I am afraid I will not be able to advise you but they have a forum too. The best thing too is that it is free unlike Windows. You still though may find that it will run slow but it should work a bit better.

Old 01-14-13, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
It's time for you to upgrade, you've exhausted this machine.

Old 01-14-13, 07:39 AM
it WAS a freebie from an old job...use it mostly for internet access in the kitchen via wireless router. Also use for word and excel, that's about it.

Same thing actually happened a month ago, and I was able to run a defragmentation on the hard drive, then worked fine for the past month, until now. would removing data off of the hard drive help? There is a ton of Itunes stuff I could transfer to another PC, IF I can get this one running again...

Old 01-14-13, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Maybe but at this point I would want to reformat the HD and OS - I'm guessing you don't have the discs for that, right? If you have the license key, you can pick up the discs from MS for a nominal fee.

I have a Thinkpad (T43) on my desk right now and even though I upped the RAM to 2 GB a little while ago, I see the processor maxed out quite often with usually only a few windows open; it's just not up to the task of modern computing.

Last edited by stickshift; 01-14-13 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-13, 09:09 AM
Old 01-14-13, 12:35 PM
What tribe_fan mentions might actually work however knowing that the Thinkpad has only one USB port and an underpowered one at that I would suggest something more along the lines of a self powered hard drive with a USB cable to avoid problems with the USB hub shorting out. If it ever happened it isn't the end of the world as you can buy USB hubs that will fit in the expansion slot but they don't always want to work well either. I know that from experience with my own Thinkpad. Luckily the hub on my Thinkpad never shorted out but has come close at times which was another reason for retiring it from service.

I am fairly certain that Linux would work better on that old machine but you certainly should wipe the drive first. If you do use it as a Linux laptop I suggest you just use it to go to websites and not do anything else with it except updates. In my opinion it is way too old even for Windows XP.

Old 01-14-13, 06:05 PM
What are the specs on the computer?

Old 01-14-13, 09:22 PM
What model thinkpad is it? Look for a tag underneath.

If you run out of disk space you'll freeze up or have other problems. Windows needs to swap to the drive.

Basically, I'd wipe it and reinstall windows. It MAY have a recovery partition on it. If it does, you can make your own install discs and it will look like it did the day it came out of the box.

By the way, my Thinkpad, circa 2006 has 2 usb ports.