MS Outlook attachment issue

Old 01-17-13, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
MS Outlook attachment issue

Sent an email this week to someone like I've done on a pretty regular basis for several years. The email is in plain text format with a PDF and Excel spreadsheet attached. When he gets the email this week, the attachments appear to be embedded in the body of the email, showing up after what I had typed starting like this:
begin 666 368.10 6048 .pdf
M)5!$1BTQ+C<@"B7BX\_3( HQ(# @;V)J( H\/" *+U1Y<&[email protected]+T-A=&%L;V<@
M"B]086=E<R R(# @4B *+U!A9V5-;V1E("]5<V5.;VYE( HO5FEE=V5R4')E
M9F5R96YC97,@/#[email protected]"B]&:717:6YD;W<@=')U92 *+U!A9V5,[email protected]+U-I

This goes on for what appears to be hundreds of lines - best guess is it's how the PDF document would look opened in Outlook.

When I switch the email format to HTML, it works just fine.

Google has not helped me this time around, anyone here have any ideas why this would happen?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-13, 04:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You're looking at the attached PDF file's contents. Did the recipient change his email client? He also may have changed the settings to receive only plain text format or non-MIME messages.

Did anything change on your side? Changing to Unicode, perhaps?

Old 01-18-13, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
AFAIK, there were no changes on our side and this is the only customer with whom we've seen this issue - my best guess is something changed on their side.

For what it's worth, I found out later on that the other people at the same company who were also sent this email had the same issue but did not initially report it to us, so it appears this affects all of the company, not just one person. I will enquire whether they can check with IT about recent email changes on their side.

Old 01-21-13, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
No resolution yet but I found out other customers are seeing this as well so I think it has to be on our side.